What leather gloves do you use?

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I prefer leather gloves. Haven't found one that is reasonably priced, rugged, comfortable, not too thick and has a loop or hole to tie on to a carabiner on my pack. Suggestions?

My current gloves are cheap, rugged, fairly comfortable, but not attachment point. This is maybe my fourth or fifth pair? I usually will use them to death then replace. Tried a pair that was partly leather, but did not like it as much. The fingertip dexterity wasn't that good on that pair.

My current beaters.

2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

My favorites appear quite similar to those pictured, (again, no loops) but rather than buffalo, are pigskin. Soft & supple, yet plenty tough. The spikes on vines and some trees here are hard and long enough to penetrate any glove I've tried, so I now lean toward comfort.
    I suppose a grommet could be installed toward the edge of the gauntlet...or use some waxed thread and an awl to add a small loop on nearly any glove.

SB21, hot diggity, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

These cost me 12.00 a pair .

image1 (1).

image0 (2).

SB21, hot diggity, Dunerunner and 3 others like this.
  4. Sobospider

Sobospider Monkey

The classic Liftee Glove, used by the thousands at ski resorts everywhere. I would generally cycle a pair through 4 Winters, 1 new going to church pair issued every year that would down grade to a working pair for 2 more seasons and then the battered remains for a 4th season to be used on jobs involving torches or grease. By that point the insulation is beat out well enough to make good summer firewood pitching gloves. They are hard to throw away when they get broke in just right. I probably have a dozen beyond useful life pairs stashed away just incase ... Get the blue and red stripe ones, those lame reflective stripe versions just tear up and aren't as comfortable. Best purchased by the case.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AT3QP9M/?tag=survivalmonke-20

5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have always looked for Genuine Pig Skin Gloves when buying work gloves, they are about as tough and yet supple as your likely going to find these days, especially compared to many of the newer synthetics you have to choose from! Outside of that, a good set of "Tactical" Leather Motorcycle gloves are a reasonable compromise, some what tougher, but less "Feel" in the palm/fingers!

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I use several kinds of gloves depending on the work I'm doing .
    Harbor freight sells several kinds of gloves I use Welding, swinging an ax, handling steel scrap, carpentry, all diferent grades of leather. I use other expendable gloves for delicate work and handling chemicals.
    I prefer harbor freight because no matter how much I pay for the they get torn up eventually and gloves that are infrequently used get stiff in the heat we have here.

SB21, Hanzo and hot diggity like this.
  7. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Ranchers gloves with the cinch strap across the top of the wrist which I use to attach them to a carabiner or snap shackle on my belt. Leather that's thick enough for work but thin enough for decent dexterity. I usually get six months or close per pair before the fingers wear out but they're cheap enough to keep an extra pair or two around. Tractor Supply and Wells Lamont call them "ball and tape" gloves.

8. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Depends on the job and the temperature, but I stick to what I know works and is made in USA. Foreign made leather feels funny when wet. What is that? Goat skin?

U.S. issue leather gloves and flyers gloves. (although the flyers gloves don't have any place to tie them on.) The dexterity with the flyers gloves in exceptional, as you'd expect. You could wear both types of gloves as inner and outer. This is close to what we did in cold weather. Heavy gloves to work in, with lighter inner contact gloves so your skin didn't freeze to the equipment.

Both of these gloves work best if they fit well. Buying online without being able to try them on could be frustrating. Once you know the size that fits you'd be able to get the same size replacements.
    USGI leather gloves. Gloves Flyers.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    SB21 and Hanzo like this.
  9. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

SB21, Hanzo and oldawg like this.
  10. percival

percival Monkey

Have a pair of welding gloves and just bought some fancy smancy Hestras (Norman). Deerskin with swisswool lining. Ballistol applied liberally. Very comfortable and definitely not for work. I'm still waiting on the gloves that don't wear out. THAT'S the pair I need.
    [​IMG]

11. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Buddy swears by some deer skin gloves. Look similar to yours.

Gray Wolf, SB21 and Hanzo like this.
  12. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I've actually found that goat skin gloves satisfy all but my heaviest thrashing jobs. They maintain enough dexterity, and are comfortable and durable, without being overly heavy.

Zimmy and Hanzo like this.
  13. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I haven't found any that will hold up with the harsh work of cutting trees and turning them into firewood. None. The wood, actually the bark, rubs holes in them fast and I end up with duct tape on all the fingers. I have tried all brands, cheap to expensive, and none of them hold up long. Now, I simply get a mediocre set, usually 3 pairs to a pack, duct tape them until they are worthless and move to the next set. I use that heavy Gorilla duct tape which helps me get more use out of them.

Hanzo and SB21 like this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Welding gloves for welding and cat catching.

Zimmy, VisuTrac, CraftyMofo and 3 others like this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Quite versatile!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

These are my go-tos. Cheap and versatile. I usually get the weeding gloves in medium or large, but they only had this size. The thicker gloves are good for pulling out thorns. I found them both at Ace Pahoa

View attachment 20230516_161348.jpg

Hanzo likes this.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Couldn't see your picture.

Alanaana likes this.
  18. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

@Hanzo oh no. Thanks for letting me know. I'll try to upload them again.

Hanzo likes this.
  19. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey++

I'm still figuring out how things work around here like images. @Hanzo do you know if there's a limit to the amount of pictures I'm allowed to upload?I don't know why the gloves picture won't show.

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  20. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Wells Lamont elk skin when I can find them, otherwise deer skin.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7