What to buy

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oil pan 4, Jun 20, 2020.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Right now you can't find handguns that are worth a shit, any AR15 junk, home defense shot guns, ect. But a year ago everything AR15 was rock bottom, 16 year low prices, everyone had everything and manufacturers were dropping like flies.
    (I think I know what I'm going to do with my upper that shoots like 12moa)

One thing that caught my eye that there seemed to be a surplus of aside from grenade launchers and form 4 silencers is big long range shootin bolt actions.
    Not necessarily 308, at least 30-06 and up, stuff that's kind of old, not new hip stuff like 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm talking about big win mag sized stuff that's over kill for most of the game in the lower 48 aside from brown bear, crown vic and bread van sized prey.

2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

lol lol Sir OP 4 .. .. wut are ya huntin?? .. .. never mind we do not want to know .. ..

an ES 5 joke there (y) (y)

[biggrouphug] [biggrouphug]

if ya need to take out Sierra Bravos ya should talk to Lucy

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

338 Lapuas are typically good values on the used market. Purportedly will kill squirrels with a single shot, even if they are using walnut based body armor and helmets. Ammo might be a bit expensive but you typically don't shoot big iron very much.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    SB21, GOG, Thunder5Ranch and 4 others like this.
  4. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Been eyeballing a 300 Win mag. Than I was in Academy and saw the price of ammo $30.00 a box for 20 rounds. Maybe not.

5. sec_monkey

if ya think that is bad, ya should see how much 338 Lapua costs :eek: :eek:

Oddcaliber, SB21, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  6. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Shotguns are cheap, shoot slugs. Ar-15 are still cheap. Rifles are cheap also. Just look. I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Or why or what fer.

7. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

If it'll shoot, the worst gun in America will do the job.

The caliber doesn't really make all that much difference if you shoot somebody right between their front teeth. Or squarely in the back of the head.

Being able to whack someone at 1,000 yards is commendably safe for the shooter, but the enemy will eventually/inevitably manage to get much closer.

If you don't have a gun, go buy one. The best gun in the world is the one you have in your hand when you need it.

If you can't buy a gun, make a gun. Research slamfire shotguns on the web. For $10 you can make a cheap, ugly, single-shot 12 ga. shotgun that will kill your enemy just as dead as a Peter Hofer Sidelock.

Then you can probably scavenge something that shoots further, faster, and looks pretty off the corpse.

But never forget your friends: keep your old gun, too.

GOG, STANGF150, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I never worry about the price of Ammunition, for myself or family... Been reloading for DECADES, so making a new caliber cartridge is just the cost of the Die Set, w/Shell Holder, the Brass Cases, and the Projectiles... Once those are in hand, it comes down to the Powder cost, Primer cost, and how much your time is worth... I have all the components for all the calibers that I own, plus a good share of the common calibers used in the USA, as of 20 years ago... when I was still an Ammunition OEM...

GOG, Alf60, Gator 45/70 and 6 others like this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You have to reload for the bigger stuff that takes around 60gr of powder or more for average loads.

10. sourdough145

sourdough145 Holder of the M1 thumb award...

Anything with more than 50gr of powder is too big for what is around here... My little 300blk with Amax bullet will handle most anything here quite nicely... For fun I have 110 gr carbine bullets that are gallery loads. 15.5 gr H4198 for almost 1600fps, soft plated lead. Hoot to shoot! Makes steel bounce for $.12 a round. like a .22 only more fun.

11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I live in new mexico and there are places where I could shoot 2 miles. I need to update my east coast typical long guns with something that shoots a high BC small bore bullet really fast.
    2 of my favorite east coast guns are the 30-30 and 44mag rifle, just not that useful our here. I bought my 8mm Mauser with open sights in the late 1990s and that was my long range gun for the east coast.

12. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Bread trucks go best with brown gravy...

13. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Since a new long range AR15 is soon to be on the market then look at the 6mm ARC, good to 1000 yards and light weight to boot. Mil is soon to convert to this weapon.
    https://gununiversity.com/6mm-arc-review/

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I heard the US military was going to switch to 6.5 grendle or 6.8spc too.
    It never happened because those rounds offer no advantage over 5.56 until out past 250 to 300 yards.
    Since around 95% of shootouts that happen in warfare start and end under 100 yards there's no point and almost no shoot outs happen with M16a2 beyond 300 yards.

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Here in the Southeast, 7mm Magnum seems to be very popular. It will take down a black bear and some hardware stores even carry the ammo.

sec_monkey, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  16. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I have been thinking about making a custom slingshot. I imagine quietly confusing someone at my gate. It would really hurt also. Could be deadly.

Gator 45/70, Tempstar and HK_User like this.
  17. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Buy a box for my .700 Nitro Expresses :( To give you a idea of why I rarely take that cannon out of the case and I cry whenever I depress the trigger.......... But just in case a T Rex ever happens to attack I am ready fer him!

.700 Nitro Express ammo ammunition for sale

18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Don't buy a 700 nitro express. Just get a load for a 12 gauge ounce and a half slug. It won't get you all the way to 700 nitro express velocity but close enough.
    If a 12 gauge with its mild 14,000psi limit can fire 700 nitro express projectile straight through a brown bear why shoot it any faster?
    You dont even need super pricy 0.70 inch bullets, I saw some 12 bore mini balls loaded up to be 12 slugs those were incredibly brutal fired from a rifled 12 gauge. Yeah its 22lr velocity, with a near 3/4 inch bullet.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  19. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

A brown bear is not a T Rex :) [YD]

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  20. sec_monkey

50 bux a round is cheap .. .. they usually go fer 100 bux a round .. ..

the rifles aint cheap either they go fer 10k to 200k each .. ..

@Thunder5Ranch where did ya score yers??

the round is 2.2mm short of a 20mm round .. .. it is used fer large and dangerous game like rhino, or a T-Rex if ya can clone one

[biggrouphug] [biggrouphug]

Tempstar and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7