What's Even More Important Than Water

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by 3M-TA3, Jan 19, 2018.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Strawberry Poptarts!

Why You Should Stock Up On Pop-Tarts When There's a Hurricane Coming

"With Hurricane Harvey barreling towards the Texas coast, millions of area residents are heading to the store for essentials like beer and Pop-Tarts—if Walmart's data is any indicator, that is.

The retailer began using predictive technology in 2004, according to the New York Times, mining trillions of bytes' worth of sales data from recent hurricanes, to determine what customers most want to purchase leading up to a storm.

"Strawberry Pop-Tarts increase in sales, like seven times their normal sales rate, ahead of a hurricane. And the pre-hurricane top-selling item was beer," Linda M. Dillman, former chief information officer for Walmart, told the Times.

We reached out to the company for more current information, and while director of national media relations Ragan Dickens couldn't confirm Pop-Tarts are flying off shelves this season, he said ready-to-eat foods, as well as bottled water, batteries, fuel containers, and bread, are among the most frequently purchased items pre-hurricane.

"Walmart has learned that Strawberry Pop-Tarts are one of the most purchased food items, especially after storms, as they require no heating, can be used at any meal, and last forever," economist Steve Horwitz, who studied Walmart's response to Hurricane Katrina, told ABC News in 2011.

Just prior to Hurricane Frances in 2004, when Walmart realized its customers' penchant for toaster pastries and beer, the company sent extra truckloads to stores in the hurricane's path. The move paid off in profit when the additional inventory sold quickly."​

2. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

A can of beer is a loaf of liquid bread. Food and drink in a single can and it doesn't even require heating. No wonder drinking it makes you happy.

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It's unsurprising....high stress and comfort food go together.....that's a marketing no-brainer.....why not take advantage of natural high stress inducing events?

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

LOL, Get a few cases of Guinness and your all set! Full meal in a can, and a happy drunk after!

5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I was going to say money and gasoline.
    That way you can buy or burn any obstacle.

6. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

Sheesh icky pop tarts. Sorry I know others like them. Even hubby was surprised.

7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Well, here we are again, proof positive that I'm a definite weirdo for after any stressful situation I reach for Scotch or, if none is to had, then like Uncle Morgan, beer and plenty of it. Bugger those nasty-a$$ Pop Tarts. I would have to be pretty damn hungry to eat those...it's like eating plastic!

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Personally, I always stock up on SPAM! cant go wrong with that or Dutch Ham! forget the Poptarts, and beer, I want something that lasts, is good for me, tasts good, and I can carry it with me if I have to bug out!

9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I'm not a beer drinker so how long does it last?
    You could always get ever clear and make any drink spiked.
    A handle of ever clear is equaled to something around a 120 pack of beer.
    If there are approximately 60 shots in a bottle and and each shot is a little more than 2 servings

10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I'm afraid of that Ever Clear stuff, scares hell out of me. LOL! My first run-in with it was as a kid logging in Alaska and at the camp the old guys use to sit the bottle down then hold a flame next to it - WHOOOSH! - just show off to the youngsters what we were drinking. But, I suppose it could be very handy in many different ways, but I couldn't drink it...but that is just me and I know it makes no sense but nevertheless...

I'm with @Ura-Ki and the spam. I always got at least a small case Spam around, that and small case of tuna. We usually keep at least couple of each handy. COSTCO sells the tuna and spam in 12 packs . Current count is 27 cans tuna and 10 Spam, I'll get another pack of Spam soon...I get the low salt Spam...not bad stuff but I admit I'm ex-army so I damn near eat anything...but not plastic nor Pop Tarts, that stuff will kill you.

11. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Being from SE Texas I can confirm the beer part of the story. It is the first to go. Between the rednecks and Cajuns you have to be quick.

12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I used to store Pop-tarts but we stopped eating extreme sugar boxed things. Pop tarts will last forever. I have opened some well past heir sell by date and they were fine. The brown sugar cinnamon were always my favorite.

13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Extremely sugary boxed things are perfect for shtf.

14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Twinkies have a half life of 2000 years after opened! LOL
    Wanna preserve your internals, eat Twinkies! I prefer the pickling method, so I drink Knob Creek!

15. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Gator 45/70 and UncleMorgan like this.
  16. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Some time ago in another life, I sat out multiple typhoons in Okinawa.. It seemed they came every payday and thats what convinced me to get paid in cash.. Cash sales sold out of beer before I could get my check cashed!! I could be in error, but I swear all the beer was gone in 2 min... I had to suffer through with a single bottle of Johnny Walker..

Bandit99, UncleMorgan and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

There has been a box of pop tarts in the galley on our salvage vessel for over a decade and nobody has eaten one yet. I suppose I will have to try one now just out of curiosity.

Ganado, Motomom34, sec_monkey and 3 others like this.
  18. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Just make sure your will is updated beforehand, and organise an enduring power of attorney. In the event that the experiment goes tits up, can I have your 'pussy cap' collection?

19. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Pop tarts...Pop Tarts....hmmmm....Aren't they made by the Soylent Corporation?

20. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

In Alaska - it is Sailor Boy pilot bread. Pop Tarts - are they even 'food'? Chow, certainty - but food?

Motomom34, Bandit99, Dont and 3 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7