What's your favorite natural cordage?

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by modernwoodsman, Jun 27, 2012.

?
  1. Daylily leaves

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Willow bark

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Dogbane

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Stinging Nettles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Yucca leaves

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. other?

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I make various natural cordages from grass, canna leaves, mulberry bark, daylily leaves, iris leaves, vinca vines, and various root barks, etc. My favorite for light use is daylily cordage and mulberry bark cordage for heavier use.
    What's yours?

IMAG2013.

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I so completely suck at making cordage it's quite hilarious to watch. I always make certain I have 550 on me, but I can fashion some rope if I needed to...I usually use the vines hanging from trees up where I live and braid them. Some call this cheating, but I, being a free market capitalist see it as maximizing available time and resources. Plus, I have nimble fingers, they tire easily.

RightHand and modernwoodsman like this.
  3. PAGUY

PAGUY Monkey

Elephant grass works great but, will cut you to shreds if your not careful.

Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome. FTM/PTB

modernwoodsman likes this.
  4. I believe in using what you have. You can use stuff like jute twine and practice doubling it by reverse twisting it on itself to make a thicker version. In this way, you can have fire tinder and whatever strength rope that you may need.

5. Never tried Elephant grass. Is that similar to wire grass found in marshy areas?

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I know that I can use wood coals and soak it in hot water with the vine/bark material and steep it in this to make it more durable to keep it from cracking when dried.

7. How much ash do you use and how long do you soak the vines/bark for?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7