Where can I find Schrader Wood Stove Parts?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by GOG, Jul 26, 2017.

  1. GOG

    GOG Free American Monkey Site Supporter

    I've got a fairly large Schrader sitting in the shop and it needs some major TLC. I know it can be a great stove. I thought about selling it but around here it's worth scrap.
    So, if I can find an air regulator knob I'd be golden. It needs new fire rope and some fire brick and the door handle needs tightening. But that's easy stuff, finding the knob has been fruitless so far.
    It's also seriously rusted and I could use some suggestions on how to clean it up. I'm a pretty good carpenter but if it ain't wood I ask questions.

    My google fu isn't bringing me any useful results so I'd appreciate any help I could get. Thanks folks. DSCN0206.JPG DSCN0207.JPG
    Ura-Ki, techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. chelloveck

    chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

    Is the missing knob, the circular object missing from the lower part of the right hand stove door?? Identical to the intact knob on the left door?

    Schrader Fireplace pedestal stove questions

    schrader wood stove - wood boring insectsSchrader Wood Stove

    schrader wood stove - wood boring insects

    You may need to ask your question in a web forum that specialises in solid fuel stoves of the Schrader kind. Just looking at your stove, the remaining "knob" seems to be made of aluminium. If worst comes to worst, you may have to make a metal casting of the remaining "knob" to fabricate a replacement. Am not sure what the knob's purpose is, other than to speculate that it is to regulate the air flow into the stove....

    From what I have seen, the manufacturer of Scrader wood stoves is no longer in business...any spare parts are probably going to be from salvaged stoves. Good luck....your only practical option to replace the missing "knob" might be to do a little metal fabricatin'
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    stg58, Ura-Ki and GOG like this.
  3. BTPost

    BTPost Stumpy Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

    That is exactly what the Knobs job was.... To regulate in Combustion Air Flow.....
    Ura-Ki, GOG, sec_monkey and 1 other person like this.
  4. Merkun

    Merkun furious dreamer

    Exactly right. Knowing that and assuming a new one cannot be found, one might take a bit of sheet metal and cut a disk with openings to match the openings in the stove door and do the obvious with a bolt. Then, instead of climbing a threaded bolt, rotate the sheet metal to open or close the holes in the door.

    Works the same way on Fisher stoves. I suppose it's possible they interchange, but for sure I do NOT know.
    Ura-Ki, GOG, sec_monkey and 1 other person like this.
  5. techsar

    techsar Monkey+++

    Or just cut a piece off the end of some bar stock, drill and tap it...screw it into position.

    My Federal Airtight has a similar setup for the firebox and the catalytic converter air...you will want to make sure you can completely close off the air.
    Ura-Ki, Dunerunner, GOG and 2 others like this.
  6. techsar

    techsar Monkey+++

    ...almost forgot...phosphoric acid, aka naval jelly, can be used to remove rust. Or sandblast it.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  7. Imasham

    Imasham Monkey

    There's a guy selling a Shrader stove on ebay right now. The description states he does a lot of wood stove refurbishment. Maybe contact the seller and see if he has a possible source.
  8. GOG

    GOG Free American Monkey Site Supporter

    Will do, thanks.
    Ura-Ki and chelloveck like this.
  9. duane

    duane Monkey+++

    Here in the so called live free or die state, there are all kinds of regulations on Fisher, Shrader, etc heating stoves, on the chimney, on the stove floor protectors, the sources of combustion air, and the distances from the combustible surfaces. You can sell them privately in our county, but not in the next county, and they can't be sold by a stove shop, air quality you know. In some of the counties in New Hampshire if you have one of the old air tight or shaker etc stoves, you can get a $1,000 federal rebate towards a new stove when you or the dealer submits pictures of it being cut up and sold for scrap. Cook stoves are for the most part exempted I think.
    GOG, Ura-Ki and chelloveck like this.
  10. Ura-Ki

    Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

    GOG not sure how far you are from Portland, But Gordons FIre place should be able to help you with parts and I bet they might have your missing bleed air valve, or a nice solution to convert them. They have been around for so long, and the dusty where house is stocked to the rafters with more parts then you can imagine. If they cant help you, Hippo Hardware on 12th and Burnside is THE place to look for old wood stoves and parts, but plan on a full day if you stop in there, and bring a FULL SIZE PICKUP, they will have stuff you never dreamed existed and is a craftsmen's paradise!!! Not sure of the business name or if it still exists, but there are two places in the south central valley one in Albany and the other in Silverton that would also be a good possibility for parts!
    For restoring that stove, you could try electrlitic conversion, or you could go all cave man and media blast it or simply use a high speed sander. I would take it to a blaster and then find a place to have it coated in a high temp coating!!!
    GOG and chelloveck like this.
  11. GOG

    GOG Free American Monkey Site Supporter

    Thanks Ura-Ki, I'll call Gordon's shortly for starters.
  12. GOG

    GOG Free American Monkey Site Supporter

    I just checked on Gordon's, they closed in April of 2016. I'm going to keep trying.
  1. Motomom34
  2. VisuTrac
  3. Hillbilly549
  4. BenP
  5. BenP
  6. Retread
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. duane
  11. oil pan 4
  12. Thunder5Ranch
  13. Mountain mama
  14. MountainMariner
  15. Garand69
  16. hot diggity
  17. thegoldlock.com
  18. sarawolf
  19. Yard Dart
  20. Motomom34
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary