Whey protein isolate

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by oil pan 4, Dec 19, 2017.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Raw uncut whey protein has around 96% protein by weight. You can bet 9 grams of powder is going to have over 8 grams of protein in it.
    It doesn't appear to go bad. It's very protein rich to say the least.
    My wife bought some and it sucks. The $40 a pound medical grade soy free hypo alerginic stuff. Problem is it costs $40/lb, is soy free and doesn't want to mix with water. Need that soy lectin to make the whey mix with water, unless you plan on using a blender.
    Mice like it, alot. If you do buy some, store it in an ammo can, they will ignore your sacks of beans, rice, flower and go straight for the good stuff. Then they will chew through the bag or container then piss and crap all over everything they don't eat, you may even get some dead ones in there.
    When you get water soluble whey protein powder you can mix it with anything.
    My wife addeds it to her coffee, stew and soup broth. Just about anything.

2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I used the Whey protein before, chocolate flavored of course...:) I suppose one really should consider storing some as a protein source since it has a long shelf life but...it will have to be chocolate flavored. :)

Alf60 and sec_monkey like this.
  3. duane

duane Monkey+++

In the 1940's in rural Minnesota, the cheese factory gave the liquid whey to the farmers that sold milk to the creamery for pig feed and the pigs loved it. Was also used to fight fires in hay and such, was a super wetting agent. Coop creamery had a crude milk dryer left over from WW2 when they dried milk for the military. It was a huge steel drum heated with steam, sprayed milk on it and evaporated the water out of the milk, scraped the dried milk off the drum, and packaged it. Needless to say it had a scorched taste to it. After the war they dried whey, spent brewers yeast, spent brewing grain, etc for animal feed on the unit and the animals loved it and the stuff I tasted wasn't half bad. Don't know about people, but cows milked well and pigs gained weight fast on it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Dont, ghrit and sec_monkey like this.
  4. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Some of the whey that body builders use has 20 to 30 Gm's of protein to a scoop rather than what they had been using before the whey isolates, (powdered liver), became more available. I had used it in a regiment to loose weight some years ago.. Using a blender works great and I found that if you keep it in the refrigerator over night before using it it had a much more creamy taste. I liked the vanilla because it was more adaptable in cooking or adding fruit for shakes. Learned to make a pretty good custard that was very low sugar and fat.

Down side is it WILL constipate you and you need to make sure you are taking plenty of fiber. Also, if you have trouble with digesting dairy products you will with whey as well. Also, the protein molecules will contract causing clumping if it is not tempered prior to adding anything that is being cooked. You can also gradually heat it but you may still get clumps.

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Interesting. I had thought whey was the alternative for those that cannot drink dairy. Very good to know because some in our family do not tolerate milk well.

Ganado and sec_monkey like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The whey protein poweder made these days is RO filtered to remove all but a trace of milk sugars.
    If some one was super lactose sensitive then yeah.

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Buy in bulk to save.
    20171224_225629.

Ganado likes this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@oil pan 4 where did you buy that... i use it in cooking, not my favorite for shakes but i have never found it in bulk
    Hope you dont mind sharing where you bought

oil pan 4 likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I got it from work. I actually don' know where you would get it.
    That was an end of production run with 16 kilos in it, probably worth $300 to $400.
    And damned mice got into it, so I put it on the dogs food.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Ripkor and Ganado like this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Try woods distribution in Arlington texas.
    There is one more place state side where we ship a lot of product.

11. Ripkor

Ripkor Electrician Technician Magician!

That's some serious whey!

I managed to get a good deal from my local Vitamin World for a couple tubs since they were going out of business. Shelf life isn't all that great maybe have 2 years out of it. But for 80% off its practically free! Since these tubs are not going to last me I wanted to know what brand has the best shelf life.

12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

This stuff will last as long as you keep it dry and sealed, or even as long as mice don't get into it.
    The 2 year thing is kind of dumb.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7