Will we be the Native Americans in another 100 yrs???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Jun 2, 2007.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

1924 : The Indian Citizenship Act

With Congress' passage of the Indian Citizenship Act, the government of the United States confers citizenship on all Native Americans born within the territorial limits of the country.
    Before the Civil War, citizenship was often limited to Native Americans of one-half or less Indian blood. In the Reconstruction period, progressive Republicans in Congress sought to accelerate the granting of citizenship to friendly tribes, though state support for these measures was often limited. In 1888, most Native American women married to U.S. citizens were conferred with citizenship, and in 1919 Native American veterans of World War I were offered citizenship. In 1924, the Indian Citizenship Act, an all-inclusive act, was passed by Congress. The privileges of citizenship, however, were largely governed by state law, and the right to vote was often denied to Native Americans in the early 20th century.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

RH, I was taking a SUnday drive with my wife and Emma and was thinking along these very lines.

My thoughts were of being squeezed off our land and pushed aside in favor of tolerance and diversity. I bet some of the pow wows during the 1800s sounded very much like our Freedom and Liberty section.

It's just so hard to get the bg picture of whats going in with all the propaganda, disinfo, American Idol and other preoccupations we have these days.

3. Tein

Tein Monkey+++

First let me say hi all, I used to be a member here a while ago and I'm happy to be coming back.
    I have to agree with the idea strongly only because ive seen it unfolding right here where i live. I was born and raised in south florida, I've watched it turn from a nice place to live to a third world country in such a short period of time. When my family left the miami area it was a decent place we never locked the doors, went fishing on the weekends, hunting swimming. Now if you dont speak spanish your in trouble, The murders, rapes and drugs are an every day thing so now no one cares anymore. We moved an hour and a half north to palm beach county, It was a little better for a while, but not long. about 16 years ago we moved to a small town about an hour north of palm beach it was great but about 10 years ago the flood gates opened up here too, the cubans are coming from miami, the haitians from lauderdale, mexicans from palm beach not to offend anyone but the constent flow from new york and new jersey, as I was told "I should be greatfull we come down here to educate you dumb hicks", from a new jersey fella. Now I have to get out of here, there dosent seem like there anywhere left in florida, but im proud of my heritage and being a florida native, but theres just no place for people like me here, there's no outdoors no survivabilty only concrete, rude people, ipods and expensive cars. I dont think I should have to leave but cant think of any reason to stay.
    Its not because I have any issues with any race or creed in general, I've always considered myself a open minded person, the kind to watch and listen. The property values are untouchable for a working class person, the way of life here now is so sheepish that any attempt to try to help someone understand whats going on is usually met with ridicule.
    Prime example is here around me there is a "Lowes" you know the home depot competitor ( I know they may not be everywhere :) ) For many years they flew a very large american flag on the building, but a couple weeks ago 1 person (not a group 1 person) called the corporate office and complained that the flag offended there nationality, the lowes removed the flag..... we tried complaining, writing but no good of course.
    Im sorry for my ramblings[doh]

4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That is absolutely disgraceful. I hope the Americans protest by withdrawing their support of that store.

5. Tein

Tein Monkey+++

It is terrible and I've vowed to never buy anything from Lowes again, but in todays corporate empire the owners of Lowes may very well be the owner of some other stores I shop at regularly, where do we even begin to make a stand for what we believe in when we dont even know who enemy is?
    that sadest part of that story is that i didnt here about it on the news or a web site or any place like that. I was with my boss going there to buy a new air compressor, we walked into the building and shortly after a older man (who reminded me of my grandfather a electrician for 45 years who took a job at home depot electrical department because he couldnt afford retirment) came up to us and told us of what happend, he asked us for support, he asked us to complain.. I did and it was confirmed, what really got to me was watching this old patriot go around the store telling people what happend and traing to fix this knowing he was going to get fired, and the reactions of the people blowing him off telling him to go away was depressing.. I dont know I'm more confused now than ever. I have been a survivalist at heart since i was 12 years old, I'm to the point now where i just want to take my family to the hills and let the sheep kill themselves and have the life they have chosen for themselves my compassion is getting thin.....

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Good to have you back Tein. Did we run you off before? [booze]

I feel for you. It'd be a hard task to boycott every store that had those type policies. Coprporations are in business to make money, even though that sign on the front of Wal-Marts electric carts says "Because we care"

We are only consumers. I hardly recognize my country any more. It will only get worse.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7