Will your BOB run out?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Jul 18, 2017.

1. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Met a Gentleman coerced into using his Water Buffalo to support the enemy in Nam, a friend of mine had to make a decision about a donkey that the owner was coerced into using to support the enemy later on. Both of US eliminated the supporting draft animal and released the Human from their bondage. I can live with that and all future examples that draw from this. JMHO.
    About those animal sentries, Geese kick Canine Arse on Sentry Duty. JMHO.

About the rear guard, would it be tactical to let the column pass and then take down the rear guard to make the column fall back into a "Killing Zone" ?
    AHHHHH, WARFARE....................
    There is only one winner.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2017
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Geese are loud and vicious. The old Englishwomans secret weapon. Haha.

Seriously, honest words falling from his mouth. You really should listen.

A philosophical question for Merkun-actually, no, I'm going to play the bigger person here, and try not to stir the pot. You are irritating me, and I think you should get down off your high horse and stop trying to cause trouble. Either discuss the man's points or don't comment, you are free to even add your own "experiences" to turn the discussion where you think it should go. But, please, quit trying to start a revolt to bully a vet into silence for trying to help...because helping is the "monkey way", no?

Tully Mars, Ura-Ki and M118LR like this.
  3. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

Thanks for the insights. I hadn't really ever given much consideration to utilizing a draft animal so I appreciate learning how you would go about doing it. Based on my situation I am now living at what was, for a number of years, my BOL. I have two nearby (15-20 km) secondary locations where I would go if I had to leave my house temporarily and getting there would involve walking along the side of roads or cutting across open grazing land...ie. no forested areas AT ALL. Based on the distances involved I don't think I'd need a draft animal but the hiking cart really did catch my interest. Thanks for sharing.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. M118LR

Thank You AxesAreBetter, but I shall stand the consequences of my own actions.

Just remember that past performance is not an indicator of success in the future. What was done can not be undone (Unless you are one of those History revisionist) but those that did such deeds may no longer be physically capable of doing such deeds in the future. It is only by examining what has been performed in the past, that one shall be able to overcome the threats of the future. "Lessons learned in Blood" need not be repeated, learn from others mistakes. JMHO.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

This is Skidder, my 5 year old Neufy practicing drafting! This is the small cart for moving fire wood from the shed to the house or to be seasoned. Skids is capable of drafting aprox. 1200 pounds on flat mostly smooth ground, and we cut that in half for "off Road" travel. Our home IS the bug out location, but it is also at risk, so we need to be able to move about 60 miles north west of our location to a secondary hide. The terrain is mostly ranch and farm with close to 2000 feet elevation changes in three or four locations, I can do it on foot my self with all BOB gear in 6 days, and with Skids, we did it in 7 1/2 with aprox 700 pounds. Food is the main cargo we would be moving, and assuming none of the many rigs I have would be available, this is yet another way to move as much per trip as possible. Pound for Pound, a Neufy IS the strongest animal on earth, and for the cost of food and care, the lowest investment to benefit ratio you will ever find! AND, he is a pretty awesome doggy too!!!
    [​IMG]

6. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

That's a pretty sweet rig! In the trailer itself what is that round piece with the stem sticking up?

sec_monkey likes this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

That is 200 pounds of iron wights to practice with.

Tully Mars, 3M-TA3 and sec_monkey like this.
  8. M118LR

Would it be relevant should I decide to try and pass along what little I've learned to those that might want to hear what I've spent a lifetime experiencing vice all that you have compiled without a day on the "Battlefield" while you think that's funny, BUB.
    Perhaps not the entire membership, only those that didn't have the opportunity to attend "BUDS" more or less pass it. Complain to the Staff, every member of the staff that made it past "BUDS" has the right to Veto anything I print. Those that didn't, Please take a moment to explore the opportunity no matter how "Gruff" the translation! It's Y'all's Red Pen, all I can do is post what was. If it's not conceivable to the membership that real people really did the things that I recount. Well I'm at fault for regurgitating the facts.
    The defense rests.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I for one am always tuned in, especially to those fellow vets that went down range before, during, and after my time, Things chance faster then information can keep up, and it's good to have all the experiences we can get, for when we close our ears, we close our minds! M118LR carry on!!!

Tully Mars, M118LR and sec_monkey like this.
  10. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[biggrouphug] :)

:love:

M118LR, Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I thought we were talking survival and not battle?

Never did get the chance to attend BUDS. They didn't let my gender try when I was young enough to give it a go. Not that it would have interested me much then either.

If I am in an all out battle then I have done something wrong or the S has definitely hit the F and all bets are off for everyone.

If my experience in aircraft maintenance as a reservist, volunteer firefighter, volunteer emt, basic welding and machining skills (not nearly as good as some guys on here) engineering, metallurgy and chemistry as well as still being able to run a half marathon at a 10min/mile pace for someone my age and gender don't help me survive in addition to my husband's skills and all our preps I must be doomed to failure! I can live with that because I will know that I did everything within my power to prepare.

Society needs warriors like SEALs, rangers, pararescue and I respect them for what they do. However, we cannot all be that kind of warrior and some of us don't want to be. The doctor's opinion or engineer's opinion or technician's opinion are still valid. Multiple skill sets are needed to survive.

12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Back on BOB/INCH, etc. there are a TON of fresh surplus ILBE/MARPAT backpacks and related right now at reasonable prices, including at least one $60 w/free shipping gen 2 MARPAT out there. The market was a bit dry when I looked the last time.
    ILBE MARPAT | eBay

It would seem that the full size packs would be perfect for INCH and GHB, and the assault size for BOB's. Any reason to go with well made and much more expensive recreational bags over these?

A bit of ripstop nylon and some elastic and you could make a cover in any color you want if you want to hide that it's military.

chelloveck likes this.
  13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[winkthumb] [bestpost]

sec_monkey, Tully Mars and 3M-TA3 like this.
  14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

chelloveck likes this.
  15. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A Rainbow patterned pack cover would be perfect urban camouflage in some parts of San Francisco. [biggrouphug]

mysterymet likes this.
  16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Here in Nutlandia, too.

apache235, chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  17. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

As would Roman crosses, and sundry Levitical verses, whilst wandering from church soup kitchen to church soup kitchen in the Bible Belt.

18. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I don;t think you understand how the bible belt works...

19. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

OK...search engines to the rescue. ILBE is Improved Load Bearing Equipment and MARPAT is Marine pattern. And according to Wikipedia the Marines have their own camo pattern basically because: "We want to be instantly recognized as a force to be reckoned with. We want them to see us coming a mile away in our new uniforms." This statement was made by a Marine spokesman when the MARPAT was announced. Am I missing something or does this contradict the purpose of camo which is to help blend in and not be seen so readily?

Anyway...the packs look great. If I knew more then I probably would have bought them but I ended getting some Paratus 3 Day Operator packs. In terms of things military for my INCH totes I am on the lookout for some really kick butt pricing for three sets of ECWS sleeping systems.

3M-TA3, AxesAreBetter and chelloveck like this.
  20. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

They are taking shit about the Army.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  7. DarkLight
  8. Fatum1965
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. ED GEiN
  11. AxesAreBetter
  12. medicineman
  13. Oltymer
  14. Imasham
  15. Brokor
  16. Witch Doctor 01
  17. Legion489
  18. TailorMadeHell