1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Windows XP support ending in two days

Discussion in 'Technical' started by stg58, Apr 6, 2014.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

April 8th will be the last day of support for Windows XP so if you have an XP box you may want to update.

They usually give one last extension for a few weeks but this may be it for loveable XP.
    BTPost likes this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

XP will remain useable. There just won't be any upgrades to M$ security and AV stuff to combat new threats. It will continue to operate your computer without problems as long as you don't go on line OR you can find some AV stuff that will guard it against hacks in the same or better way than M$ issued continuously over the life of the product support.

I did an update on my old box a week ago, anticipating some last minute problems. I have unsupported rumors that there has been a flurry of attacks over the last two days. Dunno if it's true, but have no plans to test the rumors.

About all you can do if you intend to keep XP is get aggressive about downloading all the updates that M$ has available until the 8th. After that, what you have is what you will have.

The more interesting thing, to me, is that there is a LOT of commercial operations (including banks) that have their basic company operating systems based on XP. That includes ATMs as well as accounting systems that communicate over the web. Stop electronic transfers, methinks, is about all you can do about that.

Now, that's all I think I know, and I've been wrong before. do NOT take my word for it, but DO the security updates (that part I know about.)
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey++

I thought that had been extended until '15...have to re-check...
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

You sure they won't put out an end of EULA ? Kinda just let it linger through unused ports ?
  5. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

I'm still running windows 2.8 on a box at home for fun. You'll be fine with XP if you have a hardware firewall and a good AV like clamAV or such. Microsoft is removing their support for development, that's all. It may not be very practical though if you plan on installing new software in the future or plan on installing XP to new hardware.
    Since windows 7 I dont really see the point in using XP though personally, with Vista it was a completely different story. WIth 8 and 8.1 I can't say I have much experience, but just from what I heard I don't feel like gathering it much either.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

What are the minimum requirements for w7? Xp is running on my ancient gateway.
  7. ghrit

According to M$, minimums are --
    • 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

• 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

• 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

• DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
  8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Thank you. I will have to see if it can be upgraded. I know the memory is maxed out now.
  9. ghrit

For sure, it can. Whether it makes sense cost wise is another question entirely. Prices for new (or used) machines are way down these days, especially if you dabble in the factory rehab market.
    kellory likes this.
  10. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I was told by the guy who built my machine that as long as Im not depending on microsoft security I have nothing to worry about. My browser is Firefox and security is Kaspersky. Both are continuing to upgrade.
    wastelander likes this.
  11. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

12. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I'm sure XP will continue to work fine for awhile although newer applications might start to act up unless they continue to backport development for the older architecture.

You know what I'd recommend ;)
  13. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Went to ubuntu and mint and have never looked back. Aside from the many linux forums there is a wealth of help here on the Monkey for about any form of linux. Ask a question and more than one gets back with help. I see no reason to give Mr. Gates a penny. Believe this, if this codger can somewhat control linux ANYONE can do it!
    chelloveck, stg58 and kellory like this.
  14. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

MicroShaft exploits the fact the XP is so embedded in commercial devices.

Yet another reason to go with open source.

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
    Windows XP support will be available after April 8—just not for you | PCWorld
    On Tuesday night, the United Kingdom’s Prime Minister, David Cameron, will go to sleep secure in the knowledge that his government’s Windows XP PCs won’t be hacked the next day. That doesn’t mean you will.

Meet Microsoft’s Custom Support for Windows XP, described as a last-ditch effort for big businesses to quite literally buy some more time to migrate from Windows XP to a more modern operating system. The U.K. paid 5.548 million pounds to Microsoft for an additional year of support to maintain critical and important security updates for Windows XP, Office 2003, and Exchange 2003. Otherwise, Microsoft plans to end support for Windows XP by April 8.

Microsoft has been warning about the demise of Windows XP support since September, 2007, and Custom Support will extract a heavy toll from businesses that were too slow to act: up to $5 million per year (according to a report from Gartner), negotiated on a custom, per-company basis. Last year, Gartner issued a report claiming that the prices could go as high as $200 per PC, per year. The firm called such prices “punitive”.

“While many customers have already completed their migrations to a modern OS, some large customers with complex Windows XP deployments may not have their migrations complete by April 8,” a Microsoft spokeswoman said in a statement. “To help those customers, we offer Custom Support for Windows XP as a temporary, last resort to help bridge the gap during a migration process to a modern OS, as the newest technologies provide the optimal chance to be and stay secure. We are sure that our customers are taking the necessary steps to protect their customers.”

But that still provides an out to those who can’t facilitate a change. According to one report, for example, over 400,000 ATMs were running Windows XP earlier this year, owned by a variety of banks who no doubt can afford to pay for a support extension. In March, a month before the deadline, 27.7 percent of all PCs tracked by NetApplications ran Windows XP.

According to Microsoft, Custom Support requires an active Premier Support agreement, and customers should work with their Microsoft Account Representative regarding their Custom Support options for Windows XP. According to the company, Custom Support is designed for customers who need a bit more time to complete their Windows XP migrations, not as a way to extend life to an expired product. Customers must have a migration plan with quarterly deployment milestones and a project completion end date in order to be accepted into the Custom Support program.

And, to be specific,”there is not a consumer equivalent” of Custom Support, Microsoft confirmed.

Should consumers get the same break?
    To date, Microsoft has given no indication that it will extend consumer support for Windows XP after the April 8 deadline, even though it has extended anti-malware support through July, 2015. After that date, any and all vulnerabilities found for Windows XP will live on forever, even though there are some avenues to keep your PC safe and protected after the deadline expires.

In some ways, the migration from Windows XP to a modern OS like Windows 8 could be considered painless: As the number of digital photos taken grows, for example, some users have moved to external hard drives and cloud storage to store data, solutions that transcend a specific operating system. Applications written specifically for Windows XP, however, will require tinkering and compatibility modes.

For some, there’s the cost aspect: To run any Windows OS after Windows XP (ideally, Windows 7 or Windows 8), users will basically need to invest in a new PC, minus the monitor and printer. Given the relatively low cost of PCs, however, users can buy a new PC for a few hundred dollars.

A more interesting question would be this: If Microsoft instituted a pricey, last-minute, pay-to-delay solution, what would consumers be willing to pay? $20? $50? $100? $200?

If you run Windows XP, let us know what you’d be willing to pay in the comments below. Chances are you’re out of luck, but if Microsoft is willing to maintain a database of patches for big business, maybe they’ll throw a bone to the consumer procrastinators, too.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    chelloveck likes this.
  15. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I'm not a procrastinator. Im waiting for the launch of windows 9. Why buy 7 now when its going to be going the same road as XP sooner then people think. I got XP when it first came out. This machine has been fantastic. I had a friend build it for us and I have not regretted it once. By not depending on Windows for security I'm not worried. I browse a few websites and manage my own. No big deal for us if it does fail. I can have a new hard rive in it and have it up and running in a couple hours. Im going to stay with XP until 9 comes out in 2015.
  16. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

ReactOS is getting quite usable if money (and surveilance) is an issue, been trying it out for a week or so and so far it's great.
    It is based on NT architecture and it is made to support drivers and programs made for Windows on an open source platform.
    It is in Alpha still.

ReactOS Project
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  17. DarkLight

DarkLight I self identify as a Blackhawk Attack Helicopter! Site Supporter

Interesting. Conceptually, AWESOME! Binary Compatibility, way cool if they can do it. Look and feel? Queue the cease and desist order in 3...2...1...
  18. EtDub

EtDub Monkey

I've never done a windows update.
    chelloveck likes this.
  19. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Here it is the 11th and I am still getting updates to my XP. Ill take them :)
  20. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Not even to Windows 3.1? [banghead]
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary