Xiegu G90 HF Radio

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Tempstar, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I purchased this radio just after Christmas 2019, and thought I'd throw a review out there. It is a Chinese radio, 20 watts max, and covers 160-10 meters. It is small in stature but has enough heft to to feel like it may be quality. So far, I have been more than pleased with the purchase having used it while traveling on several occasions. The receive sensitivity rivals any of the other HF rigs I own, and it gets signal reports on par with my Kenwood. A nice feature is the built in wide range tuner that so far has tuned in quite a few of my less than ideal antennas and still managed to get enough power out to make contacts. It does have the menus for controls as does most software dependent radios these days, but most only need to be accessed on initial set-up. It is a little thirsty, mine pulling .485 amps on receive, but only 8.1 amps at 20 watts (actually puts out 21 watts at 14 volts). The down side is you need 13.8 volts to get the 20 watt rated output, and mine only will do 17 watts on a 12v battery.
    At a bit over 2 pounds it isn't too heavy to tag along. The bag I have mine in has a Chameleon CHA-Micro, 67' of 20 ga Teflon wire, some paracord and a few carabiners, and 40' of Belden 1855a coax, and weighs in at 8.2 pounds.
    I have made modifications: I replaced the SO-239 antenna connector with a BNC female, and replaced the power inlet with a Powerpole connector (almost fits without filing!). I have also performed the MARS mod as I am a SC Agency MARS operator.
    Features include a rear DIN connector for digi modes, and multi-button mic that appears to be from an Icom radio, a really clear multi-color display (Only 1.5" though) and a detachable front panel that connects with any RS-232 cable. I tested mine with a 50' cable and it works well, or use the 6' one included with the radio.
    In summary, this radio rocks for the $439 I paid for it. It has become my go-to radio when traveling and has seen use in various vehicles with a mag-mount hamstick and a cigarrette lighter plug. We all know that QRP is almost impossible mobile but it is nice to listen as I drive. I have a 4 cell 18650 battery pack made up that gives me a few hours of listening when in a hotel room without dragging out a power supply. Hint: Get a high floor room and throw a wire out of the window! I would say this little radio has been my best radio purchase in a long time.

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70, DKR, duane and 1 other person like this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

If I may add
    Weight 2.3 kg
    Dimensions
    30 × 23 × 10 cm

An accesory of note is the data interface for the -90 (and other rigs)
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZZ29JJM/?tag=survivalmonke-20.

The power consumption is nearly the same as the older SGC-Sg-2020 radio - also a 20 watt rig. There are multiple UToob videos on this rig if this strikes you of interest.

Thanks for the review. Too often the eham review stuff just parrots the vendor ad talk...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7