Yep more food stuff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thunder5Ranch, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

What is on the menu for the Chuck Wagon next Saturday and Sunday :)

Fried Catfish or Pollack with a 6 pack of Shrimp. DSC01988.JPG

Or Grilled Catfish or Pollack ;)
    DSC01996.JPG
    Personally I like the Catfish the best.
    DSC01993.JPG

No matter how ya break down though, we eat good out here in the Woodshood.

kitty, TinyDreams, Ganado and 4 others like this.
  2. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Marry me!

SB21, Tempstar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

What's a Pollack?

Thunder5Ranch and SB21 like this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Thunder5Ranch, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Thunder5Ranch and SB21 like this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

A little tough as well ,,

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Poor mans Cod :) Alaska pollock - Wikipedia

Not really tough but it is a firm fleshed fish that is very flaky. That makes it a bit of a challenge in grilling as they like to flake apart. But with a long spatula and a little care and patience it is doable :)

8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

,, I was actually talking about the USS Pollack being a little tuff ,,,, but I'll agree with you,, I'd like the catfish better myself.

Ganado, Thunder5Ranch and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Yum catfish! As long as you trim out the brown stripe

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  10. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

The Farm that supplies our catfish trims it when they clean them :) A decent size operation down in Alabama. Learned about them from my previous wholesale distributor and started ordering direct from the farm/processing after the previous distributor started sending me Swai from Vietnam instead of Catfish from American Fish Farms. Finally told them "Send one more 50 pound case of that Swai crap and I am finding a new distributor. Guess what came on the next truck? and Guess who uses Farm Boy Food Service now instead of the big National Distributors :) If I am going to drop $1500-$1800 per week with a distributor I damn well better get what I want, and the brand I want consistently.

The last thing I want to see on a case of fish is "Product of China" or "Product of Vietnam" and even the beef I was getting would get that was supposed to be USDA Graded Prime or Choice was getting to be "Product of Argentina" Or "Product of Brazil" And ungraded crap that should have gone to the canner/cutter market......... Or to Golden Coral or Ryan's for their epic Gristle Steaks :) But when I order 4 whole ribeyes in the 18-22 pound range at a time there ain't much I can do with 80 pounds of ungraded gristle other than let it take up freezer space until I can send the crap back to the distributor.

What I find disgusting is the number of restaurants and food joints that are passing Swai off as Catfish and several other species of fish. Most people would be shocked at just how much mislabeling and outright deception happens in the American Food system and not just in Fish :( Swai Fish: Should You Eat or Avoid It?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7