You don't get to vote unless you pay a dollar of taxes

Discussion in 'Bill of Rights' started by stg58, Feb 14, 2014.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+ Founding Member

I agree that if you are not paying taxes you don't have a dog in the fight but more votes based on your tax bracket, no.

"The Tom Perkins system is: You don't get to vote unless you pay a dollar of taxes," Perkins said."

Tom Perkins' big idea: The rich should get more votes - Feb. 14, 2014

Tom Perkins suggested Thursday that only taxpayers should have the right to vote -- and that wealthy Americans who pay more in taxes should get more votes.

The venture capitalist offered the unorthodox proposal when asked to name one idea that would "change the world" at a speaking engagement in San Francisco moderated by Fortune's Adam Lashinsky.

"The Tom Perkins system is: You don't get to vote unless you pay a dollar of taxes," Perkins said.

2. ditch witch

ditch witch resident bacon hoarder Site Supporter+

Why should the rich get more votes? They already own the politicians and lawmakers.

3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

I would tend to agree that you should pay some amount of taxes to vote, as that represents a person as a productive member of society. But the notion that anybody could have more than one vote is ridiculous, especially under the context of wealth!!!! If Tom does not like the rules here, he can move to some banana republic where those kind of rules apply (though we are close to being a "BP" we are not there yet).

stg58 and ditch witch like this.
  4. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Well @ditch witch already said what I was gonna, so I'll just say this to Tom: [finger][kissit][oops]

Motomom34, oldawg and Yard Dart like this.
  5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

One man, one vote. Period.

However. Originally, you had to be a landowner, (and a man) to vote at all. You had to have a stake in what decisions would do.

But the idea of buying votes is self defeating. If you can buy votes, you can buy justice, and all elections would be frauds.

6. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

Most of them are anyway, or so seems to me. (But I have to agree, if you have no stake, you get no vote.)

Tracy, Sapper John and Mountainman like this.
  7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey Site Supporter

8. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

What does it matter if you have one vote or a million when you don't have anyone to cast it/them for? The idea of freely elected leaders is a sham. We get to vote for whatever two choices are selected by TPTB to give us a sense that we actually have some control over our lives. It's letting the sheep choose which gate to enter when both lead to the slaughterhouse.

Tracy, VisuTrac, Mountainman and 2 others like this.
  9. kellory

Then vote for yourself, and hope your candidate is honest, trustworthy, and can hit the ground running.

10. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Very fast and in a zig zag pattern. An honest politician is an endangered species.

oldawg and Yard Dart like this.
  11. kellory

and that would be the difference between a politician and a statesmen. politicians are common, statesman are rare.

Minuteman likes this.
  12. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I hear if you get a free phone , your allowed to vote , or if your dead etc .. If any of this poop is true , then you Don't Have a real voting system . In Canada , I need 2 ID's to Vote , One picture , so normally drivers licence or I use another type , and a phone or power bill that has the same name and address on it. If your a renter , DL / Canada Personal ID (from 15 yo and older who don't drive ) and a bus pass to library card . Then I get to pick the next tongue wagger ..

the question : What nation that was founded by geniuses but is run by idiots ?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  13. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Very true. Just look at what Zero is getting away with and the GOP does nothing. I did not mention the Demotards because they are on his side. The system is definitely broken and needs a major reset.

Yard Dart likes this.
  14. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I think only the armed should be allowed to vote [GR]

15. kellory

That way has trouble as well. It's called a military coup, and usually ends up being a dictatorship.

tulianr likes this.
  16. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

I am all for the "Own Land" (as in Dirt, Not a Condo) as a Requirement to Vote.... with a minimum of 2500 Sq Ft. This would encourage Home Ownership, but one could OWN the Required SqFootage, and then lease it to a Farmer, (or Corp) along with a bunch of other Folks, for him to produce Product. You pay the Taxes, thru the Farmer, based on Crop Yields for that Ground, with a minimum Basic Tax. This way you are TIED to the LAND, and have an interest in it's management. You also Vote in the County where your LAND is, So City Folks who own land in the City, can thru Election, have a say on HOW the City is Managed, and the Landless, do NOT get a Say, where they do NOT Own Land. A lot of this Welfare BS, would be ended REAL Quick, and if they were part of a Farm Group, that is all their vote would count for. A rural Farming County. Also contrary to ATT. Gen Holder ESQ..... Felons need not Apply.....

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  17. DKR

DKR Interesting ideas, interesting stories

No Representation without Taxation. What a bumper sticker. I'd settle for no absentee ballots and a voter (photo) ID as a start. Absentee ballots = massive fraud.

GI's? - use a computer and require a CAC card with encrypted and digitally signed message.

Still no big, after all. As What's his Name said, it doesn't matter who votes. What matters is who counts the votes. And that is very much changed over the last couple of decades.

18. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Thinking that was Stalin who said that about who counts the votes is the one who matters. Am getting mighty discouraged in the choices offered to voters in the past few years. Thinking local/state elections are becoming more important as they are the only block to executive agendas.

Yard Dart and Sapper John like this.
  19. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

Another problem locally as well as national is that folks are groomed to be politicians as a career track. They graduate with a poly science degree, intern, work some campaigns and eventually run for a seat....and so on. These folks never have held a real job, been responsible for positive cash flow let alone run a company.

And these are the folks making rules, regulations and laws dictating how businesses are to operate & saying how we are supposed to live.

The only way you are going to fix this is term limits, eliminate lobbyist and make them barely get paid for the job. Maybe then you will have folks step up and run for office because they care about the country vs the current crop that just wants to work in a gov job and amass power over the people. Just a thought....
    YD

Mountainman, Cruisin Sloth and BTPost like this.
  20. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

What bothers me is the 'pension/retirement' packages the politicians get. They are set for life after serving what, 4 years? Even veterans don't get the perks the politicians do.

Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7