Edible Wild Plants

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by VisuTrac, May 19, 2012.

1. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Brokor likes this.
  2. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

If you go to CampingSurvival.com , they have a deck of playing cards that has plants w/info on the back. I carry a deck in my EDC pack. They also have one for knots.

Let's not pull a 'Christopher McCandless' eh?

Edible Plant and Other Playing Cards

The site is vet owned and I have ordered a bunch of stuff from them. They have the best prices on 1000' of paracord that I have found.

*I am not affiliated with the site.

3. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

I found that after years of perusing field guides and wild edible plant books, that at least twenty percent, if not more, were plants that I had never seen before; or, if I had, they didn't grow within three hundred miles of where I currently live. (Knowing that I can eat mesquite beans does me little good in the foothills of western North Carolina.)

A couple of years ago, I started a project which I am still adding to. I used a list of edible plants gleaned from the internet, and deleted all but those plants that I knew I could identify on or near to my property. I built a document, around these plants, adding photos of each plant at various times of the year. Then, I cross checked each plant for medicinal properties, and added those. Then, I searched the internet for recipes and preparation tips for each plant, and added them.

Now, I have a edible plant cookbook of a bit over two hundred pages, featuring only local plants. Along the way of doing my research, I even learned the identity of a few more plants that I had cursed in the pasture or trod underfoot for years, ignorant of their food and medicinal properties.

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

That's a GREAT idea! Make our own (the raw info is 'out there') geared to our own AO.
    I know of several basic edible plants here in north Forida, but not a comprehensive list.

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Tulinar, You should publish an eBook with your research, and show the Geographic Area in which it is valid. I bet lots of local folks would pay $5US for a copy.... ...... YMMV.....

Ganado, ghrit and CATO like this.
  6. tulianr

I don't know about publishing it. I am a plagiarizing fool when I'm gleaning info from the net. It's probably something best kept informal.

I've always been interested in wild edibles, but I've learned quite a bit since I started this project. For example, who knew a mimosa tree was edible? Definitely not me.

Some of my new-found knowledge is getting me in trouble. The other day my wife threatened me with bodily harm for wandering through her flower garden, snacking on edible blossoms. I tried to tell her it was healthier than eating potato chips. She said, "Eat another of my flowers, and find out how healthy it is."

7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Read more: http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/back-basics/32956-edible-wild-plants.html#ixzz1vPvMiiQh

She'll thank you when you turn some of her flower petals into a nice smelling hand cream...flower petals and the essential oils and perfumes that can be extracted from them are raw ingredients for a number of personal care products.

tulianr likes this.
  8. My bush kit includes a nice "journal" in it are reciepies, wisdom and knowledge I have gained for my local area.

I have Ezekial Bread and the next page has drawing and comments on using cat tail plants.

There are some stories and other things in that book and it has grown over the years with lots of useful reference stuff.

I also keep loose leaf binders with detailed info on what and how and such so that I can organize and move things around.

Hard copy beats digital in a lot of ways.

I also have a file box with alphabetized photos of local plants and a short set of notes on them in the back. I use this mostly with the kids to help them learn to identify stuff that I just know.

Over the years I have often played the game of being a nomad, just grabbing a simple pack of basic stuff and going to the woods and collecting food and such. Within walking distance of where I live there is not much I don't know about and how to take advantage of.

Even with all of that I am always listening to old people and any other source of new knowledge.

I also tend to play johnny appleseed but with plants that will grow all over the mountain and swamp in my area. Some call these guerrilla or volunteer gardens. To me I'm just sowing seeds.

Thing is that edible plants just are not enough to sustain one without a lot of group (tribal) effort. So I also know how to fish and gather wild game and have a homestead garden / animals.

Also I try to know other useful plants that I may not eat but that provide me with things such as firewood, cordage and medicinal herbs.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who trys to store up local info for future reference. At a minimum I am going to leave interesting reading for my descendants to refer back to and see what I was up to.

I have a whole box full of old notebooks where I wrote things that while probably boring to most will probably be of interest to someone in my family long after I have moved on to the next adventure.

Thad

9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Hopefully your family will recognise what you leave for them

Hopefully your family will recognise the value of what you have left for them, and conserve it for future reference.

Thaddius Bickerton likes this.
  10. My daughter knows about it and intends to not only keep it, but to add hers and other family members to it.

Eventually there may be a whole book shelf of family writings for reference.

Thad.

chelloveck and Tracy like this.
  11. northga

northga North ga

Tulianr,
    I live in North Georgia and have property in blueridge mountains. You think your plant list would mirror what I have her? If so, would you be willing to share with me. I am at a bit of a loss here. None of my family is on board except my husband who doesn't put the time into the research that I do. Working for time and being a mommy the rest of the time hinders my research. I really need help! in one ways that just this, but this for starter will help so much.
    also...if anyone is willing to talk me through using Mylar bags and the steps in preparing food for long term storage I sure need it:( i dont want to start losing my hope and drive to survive!
    Thanks! Ru

tulianr likes this.
  12. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

There are several parks in the area that have guided tours by the rangers focusing specifically on the plant life.

For example:
    The Friends of Amicalola Falls State Park

The tours are so-so, depending on how many Yankees are present. It would be best to have a plant journal with you of the plants you're interested in (i.e, the actual plant or pic) and then ask the ranger afterward.

Another option would be to frequent Walter Reeves' site:
    Gardening Tips and Advice by Walter Reeves: The Georgia Gardener

Specifically: http://www.walterreeves.com/name-that-plant/

tulianr and chelloveck like this.
  13. tulianr

northgeorgia, I'll PM you on it. I know that most of the plants will be the same. I've spent some time around north Georgia.

Guit_fishN, if there's no Yankees on those tours, maybe they can share some recipes on Roasted Yankee with Wapato Root, smothered in wild onions. Of course, if no Yankee is available, you can always substitute a possum.

14. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Tulianr - I was having an inside joke with myself.

One of the last ones of those I went on had a clan from what sounded like Brooklyn....and they were typical New Yorkers. Those sounds don't belong in the woods........

tulianr likes this.
  1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. marlas1too
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. H.I.S Survival
  8. Bishop
    Swamp cabbage: [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, May 17, 2016, 1 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  9. Motomom34