Aux Fuel tank for BOV

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by kckndrgn, Jul 24, 2009.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Not sure if this is the right place or not, if not mods please move as needed.

Found this online:
    http://attatank.com/atta/freedom_fill.html
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the image size, it's their image.

I'm going to be picking up my '87 F150 in a couple of weeks. After I get done doing some work on it (fuel system mainly) I'm planning on adding a tool box to the bed.
    The company above sells toolboxes that have an aux fuel tank under them (along with many other configurations). The truck I'm getting will have 2 19gal tanks, then if I get the 50gal aux tank, that will give me an excellent range for the truck (though driving with an extra 50gal of gas will kill the non-existent MPG for the truck)

What are your thoughts on this? good, bad, indifferent or is this just an accident waiting to happen?

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Don't forget to consider the weight of the fuel when you figure out the carrying capacity. (19+19+50)X7.46 (IIRC) comes out around 650 lbs plus the weight of the tanks. Doesn't leave much for ammo with a net carry of about 850 lbs in an F150 unless you have some suspension mods or upgrades. [beer]

3. kckndrgn

I won't know until I get the truck, but I believe my dad had a "towing package" installed which upgraded the suspension.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

4. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

What's the cost difference between this automatic system and a regular tool box/ fuel tank combo?

Is it worth the extra money to you to not manually fill your truck's fuel tanks from the aux. tank?

Most manufacturer's towing packages usually have some of/and/or but not always all the following; heavy duty radiator, transmission cooler, receiver hitch, trailer plugs and maybe a little beefier suspension.

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

The ad specifies "Diesel trucks"......
    Make sure it can handle gasoline, if you intend it for a gas-fueled truck.

6. kckndrgn

Sea,
    Here's a response from the company about gasoline:
    Since I have an '87, it shouldn't be a problem, but I replied to the email and also asked for a price quote or a dealer near me.
    please call us at 1-800-773-3047.</pre>

7. Seawolf1090

Cool! My 1985 truck would be covered, if I ever get it back on the road.

8. kckndrgn

Seawolf,
    What's wrong with it?

9. Seawolf1090

1985 Dodge Ramcharger 4X4. Rotted radiator, bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, 4 flat tires.
    At 10 to 12 MPG, it's simply low priority right now to fix it - but I do need to, to have a heavier BOV.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7