Cheapest online source for bulk mylar?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Equilibrium, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I only ordered once and it was just 1-gallon bags because I wanted to try the product for food storage. I like it and using it makes sense so now I'd like to order more in bulk. I don't remember how much I paid or where I ordered. Where are you finding the best pricing for 1-gallon mylar bags in quantity please?

2. fireplaceguy

fireplaceguy Monkey+

For gallon size the best price is at your nearest LDS home storage center. For mail order, try SorbentSystems.com

3. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I've never been to an LDS home storage center. In fact, I didn't even know they existed until I read it here. I'll have to locate the closest.
    I found the bags so thank you, . 1 gal and 1 qt which is nice. Might not be the best thickness for home made noodles though but price is good. Have you ever re-used your mylar bags? I'd think they would be re-usable if we opened them carefully.... you know... straight cut across the top so we could re-seal with an iron>>>?

4. fireplaceguy

fireplaceguy Monkey+

No reason you can't re-use mylar bags. The first time you seal one, seal as close to the top of the bag to leave as possible to leave the max for re-use. Open it cleanly just below the seal. Next time around the bag will be a bit smaller, but oh well...

BTW, for a trustworthy seal on thick mylar bags, I strongly recommend you use a heat impulse sealer. Sorbent systems carries them, but there are cheaper versions on Ebay, which is where I got mine.

5. fireplaceguy

fireplaceguy Monkey+

Just looked at the link you posted to the promotion. At 2.5 - 3.5 mils, those bags are not thick enough for long term storage.

Even mylar bags are oxygen permeable. The thicker the bag, the longer perishables last. Far as I'm concerned, 5 mil is the minimum for food storage and I'm even happier with 6 mils. Remember, thinner bags are also far more likely to puncture from within.

Also, I think you'll find a quart size to small for anything but spices.

The one gallon mylar bags at LDS home storage centers are 39 cents each. I don't recall the thickness, but they're very heavy. Probably 6 mils...

6. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I caught the thickness and was wondering about that but thinking more about my homemade noodles puncturing the bags. For me.... we don't have a bunker anywhere and we're gonna stay in our own home so I'm more concerned about being able to store food for 3-5 years until I can build more beds to grow more varieties of produce in one season and I'd think 3.5 mil would be fine for that wouldn't you? Please correct me. The gt bags I liked for the convenience of taking them with us camping or hiking for a day. I dehydrate a lot of food and was thinking more along the lines of snack bags on demand.

7. fireplaceguy

fireplaceguy Monkey+

It's your food, and it's certainly your choice how to pack it. All I'll add is that even bags of my favorite trail mix from Wally World come in 5+ mil thick bags.

8. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I'm glad you mentioned Sorbent Systems. They're offering a quart bag that I'd not seen sold anywhere else. Quart bags meet some of my needs perfectly... for the purposes I'd use those 3.5 mil mylar bags I should be fine I'd think. I'm putting noodles and the longer term storage items in the 7 mil mylar gallon bags LDS sells and then into 5 gallon buckets. WallyWorld dictates the use of heavier weight mylar contractually for loss control purposes I just learned. Is there anything WallyWorld doesn't control contractually>>>? Rhetorical question.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7