My "Logging Rhino"

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BTPost, Jun 1, 2011.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just finished one of my Spring Projects, this afternoon, and thought that some of the Off Grid folks would like to see what I am going to be using to make my One Man Firewood Logging Operation easier for an Older type guy. I designed, and built, the A-Frame out 1 1/2 Inch Galvanized Pipe. Then made some Weld-on, custom, mounts for the Front Steel Bumper Tubing, out of 2 x 3 x 1/4" Flat Bar Stock. Once I got all the parts fabricated, I sweet talked our Forman into welding up the A-frame, and then welding the Mounts to the Bumper Tubing. 1/3rd of a Can of Flat Black Stove Paint, and a rusty, old Pulley, out of the Boneyard, a couple of 1/2" Stainless Bolts for Clevis Pins, a 1/2 x 6" Stainless bolt for a Pulley Axle, and 15 Feet of 1/2 Poly Rope, and I am in the Firewood Biz, as a One Man Show. I have about 10 hours in the Project, and 2 hours of Welder time. Not to shabby, for a Technology Dude, who is about as mechanical as a turnip.... ..... YMMV....
    A-Frame Mounts.vc6 : Genset Base. Logging Rhino.

2. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Let us know how it does when ya test it out. [winkthumb]

oldman11 likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Mobile gambrel for butchering, too.

oldman11 and VisuTrac like this.
  4. BTPost

When we skinned out Momma's 350# Black Bear, for her rug. We used a Cannery Forklift and chained his forepaws to the forks. "Hydraulics is your FRIEND"........

5. BTPost

Had a chance to test the rig out, this afternoon. Picks up logs just fine. I was hauling 12 foot x 16" Cottonwood Logs out of the brush with it, and then chunking them up for firewood for next winter. Very slick operation. I still need to make a Plug-in Remote Winch Switch, on a 20 ft cable for it, but other than that, very good operations.

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

hehehe. Naw, you did pretty good. I was expecting that lil' thing to just spin if you ever tried to haul something.

oldman11 likes this.
  7. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

8. ghrit

Skidding logs works a LOT better if you lift one end ---

Just for s&g, google "log skidder" and see some pix of the biggies. Bruce's machine is a good idea, multiple use machine.

oldman11 likes this.
  9. BTPost

2009 Rhino 660.. Second Owner, came for Aridzonia.....Had 210 Miles on it when it arrived. Now has 1350 miles on it. Best money I ever invested. I also use the A-Frame for lifting logs up off the ground, for chunking into firewood lengths. Saves on Chains, for the Saw, not digging into the dirt while chunking them.

oldman11 and Brokor like this.
  10. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

1. Hardwood logs (or even pine logs) are heavy...and heavier still with their entire length dragging on the ground.

2. When the entire log is on the ground, the front edge has a strong tendency to dig in and require even more power to pull...when the front end is raised, the back end on the ground "ramps" itself over rocks, little hills, stumps. etc.

If you are pulling with a Cat or similar very heavy and powerful vehicle, it doesn't make as much difference, but with a lighter vehicle, it is a major difference.

Great setup BT...

oldman11 likes this.
  11. beast

beast backwoodsman

also if you plan to have the logs sawn
    the less dirt the better
    some mills charge extra for dirty logs as it destroys the saw teeth

btw, its been a while but i used to use a draft horse and a bob or sled
    works great and you can take them places no wheeled vehicle can go :p

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2017
    oldman11 likes this.
  12. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

We still have a horse logging outfit locally...

oldman11 likes this.
  13. ghrit

Here, too. Advertises as low impact on the land.

oldman11 likes this.
  14. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

15. ghrit

:lol: It can fell, but can it buck?

16. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I am still in the market to buy a tank.

17. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Amen to that ! Followed closely by pneumatics......my shoulder can't take swinging a framing hammer anymore unless I eat a bottle of Excederin.....thank God and Bostich for nail guns.

Nice setup on the rig.....but wouldn't it have been better on the back so you could drive with the log in tow ?

Here's my skidding winch.....Norwegian made especially for small tractors...driven off the PTO...has 150' of 1/2" cable with it.
    Tractor_Winch.

18. BTPost

The rhino does NOT have a rear bumper, and the winch is mounted on the front. I usually just drive backwards, when skidding logs, and it usually isn't that far out to the trail. Maybe 20-50 ft Max.... YMMV.....

19. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

The wife and I depend on wood for heat and other needs...Good idea, I wonder if I could convert my old CJ-7.I would want it set up so I could easily remove it...a skidding winch would sure make my life alot easier...thanks for the idea...

20. BTPost

It should be easy to build one for a CJ Jeep, with a winch. If you look closely at the drawings, the A-Frame is attached to the front bumper with two 1/2" Stainless Bolts, that act as the hinges for the A-Frame. Remove the two bolts and the A-Frame comes off and can be stored away, and then you just wind the Winch Cable IN, till the Hook is at the Rollers on the winch.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7