Recipe Whole Wheat Flour Recipes

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Equilibrium, Feb 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Since I started buying whole wheat four…. I figured might be a good idea to have some recipes to go with it. I’ve found boatloads online and I’m adding the links but the handful of recipes I actually tried that worked really well for me and the notes that went with them are there if anyone wants them. The whole wheat pasta did need some water. It’d be nice if someone else would add whole wheat flour recipes. I personally could use more.
    --
    Whole Wheat Flour Recipes
    Many More Here-
    Recipes for Whole Wheat | Allen's Mormon (LDS) Site
    Wheat Foods Council | The place to go when you want to know.
    From Our Farm to Your Table | Wheat Montana
    Delicious Wheat Recipes Using our Products Mount Lassen Farms
    Whole Wheat Cookbook

]Honey Wheat Bread
    Ingredients:
    1/2 cup water, 110 to 115° F
    4 1/2 teaspoons yeast (2 packages)
    2 cups fat-free milk
    1/4 cup margarine
    1/3 cup honey
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 cup wheat germ, optional
    2 tablespoons wheat gluten, optional
    3 cups whole wheat flour, divided
    4 to 4 1/2 cups bread flour, divided

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375°F.

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand 10 minutes.

Warm milk to 110 to 115°F; stir in margarine, honey, brown sugar and salt; cool to lukewarm. Add milk mixture to yeast; add wheat germ, wheat gluten, 2 cups whole wheat flour and 3 cups bread flour. With an electric mixer, beat for 3 minutes.

Stir in remaining cup whole wheat flour and additional bread flour as needed to make stiff dough. Place dough on a floured board and knead for 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch.

Place dough in bowl coated with non-stick spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in size, about 75 minutes.

Punch down and let dough rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough into 2 portions. Shape each portion into a loaf. (Using a rolling pin, roll each portion into a 9 x 14-inch rectangle. Starting at short end, roll dough tightly; pinch dough to seal ends.)

Place loaf in a 9 x 5-inch pan coated with non-stick spray. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake for 35 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped with fingers. To prevent a dark crust cover loaf the last 15 minutes. Remove from pans and brush with butter. Cool thoroughly before storing.

For rolls, bake about 15 minutes or until golden.
    Servings: 2 loaves or 2½ dozen rolls
    Calories/Serving: 144
    Nutrition: With 16 slices per loaf, each 2-ounce serving (1 slice or 1 roll) provides approximately: 144 calories, 5 g protein, 27 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 2 g fat (0 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 44 mcg folate, 2 mg iron, 202 mg sodium.

Light-as-a-Feather Whole Wheat Pancakes

Ingredients:
    1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
    1 large egg
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 1/3 cups buttermilk
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1 tablespoon oil[/FONT]

Directions:
    Preheat griddle.

In medium bowl, stir or sift dry ingredients together; beat egg, buttermilk, brown sugar and oil together. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened; batter should be slightly lumpy.

Pour ¼ cup batter for each cake onto a well-seasoned hot griddle. Flip the pancake when bubbles appear on surface; turn only once.

Alternatives:
    _ Omit soda, use 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1⅓ cups 2% milk.
    _ Add ½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries.
    _ Serve hot, chunky, spiced applesauce or thick fruit sauce over cakes instead of syrup for extra nutrition and fiber.

Servings: Makes 12 4-inch pancakes
    Calories/Serving:78
    Nutrition:Each pancake provides approximately: 78 calories, 3 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g fat (0 g saturated), 19 mg cholesterol, 9 mcg folate, 1 mg iron, 178 mg sodium.

Whole Wheat Pasta
    Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    4 eggs
    2 teaspoons olive oil

Directions
    Stir together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour and salt in a medium bowl, or on a clean board. Make a hollow in the center, and pour in the olive oil. Break eggs into it one at a time, while mixing quickly with a fork until the dough is wet enough to come together. Knead on a lightly floured surface until the dough is stiff and elastic. Cover, and let stand for 30 minutes to relax.
    Roll out dough by hand with a rolling pin, or use a pasta machine to achieve the desired thickness of noodles. Cut into desired width and shapes. Allow the pasta to air dry for at least 15 minutes to avoid having it clump together.
    Footnotes

To cook fresh pasta
    Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Fresh pasta cooks very quickly. It will float to the surface when fully cooked. Drain, and use as desired.
    --
    By simply following the recipe, this dough was never going to come together. I had to add water to it before it would stay together enough for me knead it. After that, it was all uphill. It came together very nicely, rolled out beautifully through my pasta maker and was delicious mixed with asparagus, mushrooms and shrimp.
    --
    If you have a stand mixer with a dough hook and a pasta roller machine, then by all means, try this pasta! The taste is excellent. If you don't, then brace yourself for some sore arms and a stiff back....this dough is brutal!
    --
    Nice coarse texture with the wheat flour, which I liked. I did it by hand and yes, it was hard to knead! I also had to add water to get it to stick together. It never even occurred to me to use my KitchenAid mixer!

Whole Wheat Crackers
    2 c. Mount Lassen Farms whole wheat flour
    6 Tbsp. oil
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 c. sesame seed
    1/2 c. wheat germ (regular)
    2/3 c. cold water

Directions
    Mix whole wheat flour, sesame seed and wheat germ together in a mixing bowl. Blend together oil, salt and water in a blender. Pour this over the ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix well.
    Place on cookie sheet and roll out to pie crust thin. Mark into squares and pierce with a fork.

Bake at 450 degrees for 5 minutes. Turn the heat down to 425 degrees and bake 5 more minutes. Then every 2 minutes, check for those that are done around the edges. If they break where they are marked into squares, they are done. If they bend, bake 2 minutes longer. Check at 2 minute intervals until all are done.

Outback Steakhouse Honey Wheat Bushman Bread (Bread Machine) Recipe
    Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cup water -- warmed
    2 tablespoons butter -- softened
    1/2 cup honey
    2 cups bread flour
    2 cups wheat flour
    1 tablespoon cocoa
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 teaspoons instant coffee
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
    1 teaspoon caramel color -- optional
    3 tablespoons cornmeal -- for dusting

Directions:
    Place all of the ingredients in the bread machine and process on dough setting. The dough will be a little on the wet side and sticky, but if it seems too wet add more flour. When dough is done let it rise for 1 hour.

Remove from pan, punch down and divide into 8 portions. Form portions into tubular shaped loaves about 6-8 inches long and 2 inches wide. Sprinkle the entire surface of the loaves with cornmeal and place them on 2 cookie sheets. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm with whipped butter.
    This recipe from CDKitchen for Outback Steakhouse Honey Wheat Bushman Bread (Bread Machine) serves/makes 1 loaf
    --
    Very good! Similar to that at Outback. I did leave out the caramel coloring
    --
    I really like this bread. It freezes well also.
    --
    I have been making this recipe for almost two years now (with olive oil substituted for butter)and my wife loves it but I always found it was missing a little something and have been trying various tweaks to find what was missing. Well, I think I found it. I increased both the white and whole wheat flour by 1/2 cup each and the water by 1/6 cup and added 1 tablespoon of molasses and a 1/4 cup of skimmed milk powder - abosolutly divine result.
    --
    Tried this recipe and it was fabulous, everyone loved it. I did make a few changes. I followed another reviewers comments and I added 1/4 C. each of the bread flour & whole wheat flour, 1 T. molasses, 1/4 C. powdered dry milk. This recipe is definitely a keeper.
    --
    I've made this recipe a couple of times and I think it's the best bread machine recipe out there. I have tweaked it a little, using 1/2 cup water + 1 cup of evaporated milk instead of 1 1/2 cup of water. I also used previous suggestions of adding a Tbsp of molasses. Then, I added a little vital wheat gluten. The evap milk gave the bread some richness, the molasses gave a hint of dark sweetness, and the gluten gave the bread a little more loft. A previous reviewer called this recipe "divine" and I agree.

CANDY fISHER likes this.
  2. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

This is a great website for recipes for whole foods in general. She has a lot of information on how to stretch food, such as, "What to do with 25 lbs. of Oats."

I especially like the coffee cake she makes. We make it regularly.

The Family Homestead

Coffee Cake Recipe:
    My Favorite Coffee Cake

3. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

The 1st link goes to a blog that's got a little bit of everything it looks like. It's not laid out too well and I couldn't find any whole wheat flour recipes. I love that coffee cake recipe though. Do you have any whole wheat family recipes of your own that they beg you to make?

adding.... I went back and scoured that home page. If there's a link to "What to do with 25 lbs. of Oats" somewhere there.... I can't find it. I see she's selling CDs though. Maybe she took that link down to sell CDs or get folk to visit her country store.

4. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

It's a website. Her blog is at a separate address. Her recipes are there. But they are buried under links on the left side of the screen. Here is more direct link to all of her recipes. You just have to keeping scrolling down on this page to see everything that is there.

I do have more recipes for whole grains that I will post as I am able. I basically just convert recipes I find to suit my own ingredients. We use sucanat and whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour and coconut oil for our baking most of the time. I just substitute equal amounts unless the result seems too dry. Then I might up the liquid.

Will share a Gingerbread Muffin and a Pumpkin Muffin recipe sometime this week.

Here is the link to recipes. It is a very long page, so keep scrolling.

The Homestead Kitchen

5. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

this looks awesome!! Im trying it this next week. I sure hope my bread machine gets here ( Bosche) Im so doing this all the time!! Im also getting a nutrimill grinder :)

Honey Wheat Bread
    Ingredients:
    1/2 cup water, 110 to 115° F
    4 1/2 teaspoons yeast (2 packages)
    2 cups fat-free milk
    1/4 cup margarine
    1/3 cup honey
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 cup wheat germ, optional
    2 tablespoons wheat gluten, optional
    3 cups whole wheat flour, divided
    4 to 4 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
    Directions:Preheat oven to 375°F.

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand 10 minutes.

Warm milk to 110 to 115°F; stir in margarine, honey, brown sugar and salt; cool to lukewarm. Add milk mixture to yeast; add wheat germ, wheat gluten, 2 cups whole wheat flour and 3 cups bread flour. With an electric mixer, beat for 3 minutes.

Stir in remaining cup whole wheat flour and additional bread flour as needed to make stiff dough. Place dough on a floured board and knead for 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch.

Place dough in bowl coated with non-stick spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in size, about 75 minutes.

Punch down and let dough rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough into 2 portions. Shape each portion into a loaf. (Using a rolling pin, roll each portion into a 9 x 14-inch rectangle. Starting at short end, roll dough tightly; pinch dough to seal ends.)

Place loaf in a 9 x 5-inch pan coated with non-stick spray. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake for 35 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped with fingers. To prevent a dark crust cover loaf the last 15 minutes. Remove from pans and brush with butter. Cool thoroughly before storing.

6. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

For some reason the way she has her website set up you can't "find" the phrase "What to do with 25 lbs. of Oats" when you search for it. I did find it down toward the bottom in a box so thank you for sending me back to look again.
    Here's a direct link if anyone else is interested-
    What to Do with 25lbs of Oats
    When you're feeling up to it... those are the recipes that are totally helpful.... the ones where somebody else's family "taste tests" for my family. ;)
    CANDY> I really like that honey wheat bread recipe and I'm pretty sure you will too!!!

7. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

Have a little breathing time now that I got dinner into the oven and granola cooling off.

Pumpkin Muffins

2 Cups Sucanat (or rapadura or whatever you like to use)
    1/2 Cup Coconut Oil, softened or melted at low temp (you can use whatever oil you like here, too)
    3 Eggs
    1 15 oz. Can Organic Pumpkin Puree (not pie filling)
    1/2 Cup Water
    3 Cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (or whichever flour you prefer)
    1-1/2 teas. Baking Powder
    1 teas. Baking Soda
    1 teas. Salt
    1 teas. Cinnamon
    You may add raisins or nuts to this, if you prefer. My family doesn't care for that. (1-1/2 Cups Raisins and 1 Cup Walnuts)

Mix the wet ingredients first. Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl, combine all in mixer or by hand. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Yields 24 muffins.

I put everything in my Bosch, but you can do it by hand, too.

8. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

Gingerbread Muffins
    My family loves these and my little ones keep calling them chocolate muffins because they are so dark.

1 Cup Coconut Oil, Palm Oil or Shortening
    1 Cup Sucanat
    1 Cup Blackstrap Molasses
    4 Eggs
    1 Cup Buttermilk
    1 teaspoon Baking Soda
    Combine and set aside.
    4 Cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
    2 teas. Ginger
    1/2 teas. Cinnamon
    1/2 teas. Cloves, ground
    May add 1/2 Cup Pecans, chopped and 1 Cup Raisins, but my family prefers I don't.

Cream first set of ingredients together. Add Buttermilk mixture. Combine dry ingredients together. Combine both in mixer or large bowl. Bake at 350 degrees about 15-20 minutes until done. Yield is about 2-3 dozen muffins.

9. Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke Monkey+

Well, it looks like I am going to be really busy trying all these delicious sounding recipes out!

10. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

Folks, I boo-boo'd on the recipe when I first typed it. I left out the buttermilk and baking soda. I have corrected it. Sorry!

1. Ganado
  2. Ganado
  3. HK_User
  4. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  5. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  6. DKR
  7. DKR
  8. Ganado