Gear Review 100% Wool Blankets (Master Listing)

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Brokor, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ExHelot

ExHelot Monkey

If you can find them, I got some Swiss Mil' surplus wool pants a while back. They're not excessively heavy and they're warm. I like that wool seems to wear forever too.

Brokor likes this.
  2. ExHelot

ExHelot Monkey

I've been told that the more pricey wool like alpaca, cashmere &c. are easier on the skin. Might be because they aren't sheep wools. I've also heard that a high loft in the fiber and something called "felting" helps too. Other than that I'm afraid it's steady doses of Benadryl.

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Among my college courses of the past I took a course on felting wool. I have to say, it's easier than I expected.

Required items to felt:

• large, flat surface that can get wet ( a serving tray works well)
    • hot water (just tolerable for your hands)
    • liquid dish soap
    • wool batting (roving)
    • felting needle/tool (optional) and felt pad (optional)
    How to felt:

You want to separate your wool roving into thin, flat, wispy strands and set them aside. I found pieces of approximately 6" in length and about 3" wide to be adequate. You have to kind of pull and stretch the wool to the preferred size, keeping it thinned out. Prepare your hot water after you have separated enough wool. Begin layering your wool onto the tray in the size and shape you wish your project to be, or slightly larger. Lay down the wool in one direction per layer (do not cross weave on the layer). Next, lay the subsequent layers in alternating directions for added strength. The more layers you add, the thicker the final project will be. After you have completed your task of layering, dip your hands in the hot water and begin to apply it to the wool. After you have soaked it enough, gently massage the wool with your fingertips as if you were shampooing your hair. Use a few drops of dish soap to permit the process to bind, adding soap and hot water as needed. You cannot add more wool after this point, so be certain your thickness is attained before you add the soap and hot water. I just add some liquid soap to the hot water, keeping the process simple. The idea is to "felt" the wool, so quite a bit of massaging must take place. As you progress and the wool is well saturated, you can add more firm pressure with your fingertips and continue to massage. You will eventually feel the wool firm up, this is the felting process. Once the wool has been felted, you can gently squeeze out the remaining water, rinse in room temperature water until soap is gone and hang to dry. After the felted wool has dried, you can fold and stitch with the felting tool or sew for clothing.

You may also dye the wool and gently wash after it has been fully felted and dried. An alternate method to dying is to do so before felting, but care must be taken not to overwork the wool or use hot water or it will not felt correctly.

Pictures of a felting needle tool, felting pad and wool roving (1 lb. bag):

Repairing old wool:

If your storage hasn't been adequate, and moths have destroyed portions of your wool, you can use the do-it-yourself felting described above to make patches. Once you have felted a patch and dyed it accordingly, using a felting tool and pad, you can actually stitch a patch onto the original wool. If your work is exceptional, very little will be noticeable, but this doesn't always work on wool blends --and you will need practice with the felting tool. Be sure to patch both sides and then stitch!

The felting tool uses tiny needles with barbs to 'pull and hook' strands of wool fiber together, without the use of thread. It takes practice to use one of these, and a felting pad for it to work. If the wool is too thick, the felting tool may not always work.
    felttool. feltmat. woolroving.

chelloveck likes this.
  4. ExHelot

ExHelot Monkey

Brokor likes this.
  5. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I never knew Ghenghis Khan wore golf shoes while felting his yurt fabric..... :p

6. ExHelot

ExHelot Monkey

Only when punishing enemies!

7. LEDAdd1ct

LEDAdd1ct Monkey

Hi, all! I joined specifically to ask this question:

I suffer from cold toes in the winter, which inhibits sleep. Turning up the heat dries out every pore of my body,
    causing nosebleeds and cracked lips.

I am strongly considering purchasing one or two 100% wool blankets in the hopes of supplementing my current sheets and comforter. I have but two questions:

1) Both the Italian Officer's and Swedish Officer's blankets get "five stars" in the initial post. I can always layer them over a sheet so as not to have direct contact with the wool should it prove sufficiently irritating to cause discomfort. Between the two, which is warmer?

2) Were I to purchase a single blanket, given that the decision would be influenced by the answer to the previous question, would folding it in half and layering it over my toes/feet provide sufficient warmth? Or, do I need to spend the money on two blankets, and use both at once? The wool blanket would be used in conjunction with three sheets and a comforter, which, with the thermostat set to 71 degrees Fahrenheit is proving inadequate.

I apologize for the inherently subjective nature of the question; if there is additional information I can supply I would be happy to.

I am a "better to buy quality once" kind of guy, and given the coherent and overwhelmingly positive support of 100% wool blankets voiced in this thread, I look forward to hearing what those with direct contact with the blankets have to say.

Kind regards, and many thanks,

LEDAdd1ct

melbo likes this.
  8. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

wool socks from wally world in the outdoor department, can't beat um!

tedrow42 and Brokor like this.
  9. Brokor

The warmth factor really isn't comparable since both blankets are quite similar. However, the Swedish is softer and a little more fluffy, while the Italian blanket is a little more rugged and firm. I have an Italian officer's wool blanket on my bed in the winter, it is quite warm.

You should be fine. I keep my thermostat at 70, use a comforter and the Italian wool blanket. We are different people, however. I will say this, I use 100% wool socks (the thick kind) I got from Sportsmansguide made for walking around in the house, and they have little rubber dots on the bottom. I get very cold toes in winter, too. I contribute this to years of standing in the military, but who knows.

My advice: Go with either, but the Italian will be easier to find. Also, get some thick 100% wool socks or even Merino wool if you don't like the itch factor. The socks you end up with shouldn't be too tight, and wool socks commonly fit loose anyway. Try sleeping in the socks, it will help tremendously.

10. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

@Brokor, this has become quite a popular thread - check out the page view count ;)

Brokor likes this.
  11. -06

-06 Monkey+++

I have a commercial thick soft blanket that is super. If my feet get cold I just stick 'em to mama--lol. Wool socks work great--I wear mil issue cushion soles all the time.

12. LEDAdd1ct

LEDAdd1ct Monkey

Thank you very much for the quick responses.

I own some SmartWool socks and a baggier pair of wool socks.

When I wear socks to bed, the slight constriction/pressure they provide tells my brain that it is not time to sleep. For warmth in the day, they are wonderful—walking, hiking, etc. However, when I try to sleep in wool socks, I cannot fall fully asleep, which is why I am pursuing 100% wool blankets.

The softness of the Swedish blanket is appealing; I will consider it.

I welcome any further input.

13. Brokor

I think you just caught us at the right time, but there's always somebody around here who is willing to help.
    Good luck finding a Swedish wool blanket. They are very tough to find, and even if you do, you're looking at $80 or more for one. You might be better off searching Ebay for a marketed brand, which I listed on page 2.

One other suggestion I have, is to use what I also use. It's called "Earth Ragz" and it's a fleece throw made from recycled materials. It's actually surprisingly warm, and I use it in conjunction with my wool blanket and comforter. I use one sized 53" x 77" and it is tan in color, but there are all kinds of designs available.

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Soft or stiff seems to me to make little difference. If you are going to put it over the sheets anyway, just get one and double it up over the foot end of the bed if one isn't enough. What I've found is that socks simply make your feet sweat, which cools them off by evaporation rather than keep 'em warm. YMMV, of course.

15. ExHelot

ExHelot Monkey

I've never compared the two. I would think that buying the heaviest of the two (if they are the same dimensions) would provide the most warmth. All things being about equal, I'd go with the Swedish blanket. The Swedes seem to have pretty good surplus from my experience. They live in colder climate too except for the Italian alps. Somehow Italy just doesn't say warm gear or good wool to me but who knows.
    As for the second part, as long as the rest of your bod is fine, just double one blanket and you shouldn't wake up with frost on your toenails anymore;)

16. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

If you find them again, please let me know. I'd like to buy 100

Brokor likes this.
  17. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Buy your socks for sleeping larger than you need. (no constriction)

18. LEDAdd1ct

LEDAdd1ct Monkey

Thank you all for the excellent responses.

Buying wool socks larger than needed is a good idea.

I do find they simply make my feet sweat.

I will try a single blanket doubled over.

Thank you again for all the help.

I will explore this forum more fully when I am able. :)

19. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

Long ago, when I was young, my parents bought me some down socks. I have always had cold feet. They are not good for anything EXCEPT sleeping in. :) Of course you do need to have some warmth coming from your feet to initially heat them up ;)

20. LEDAdd1ct

LEDAdd1ct Monkey

Walked to my local army/navy store. Had to go upstairs to where the blankets are kept.

All they had were "Army/Navy Style" blankets, 55% wool.

No good. :(

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. HK_User
  3. DKR
  4. Hanzo
  5. RouteClearance
  6. Bishop
  7. Hanzo
  8. chelloveck
  9. Brokor
  10. Brokor
  11. Astrodokk