2 budget folding knives

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Sherman, May 3, 2010.

1. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

I've been using these both for a few weeks now and thought I would comment here. Bothe are good budget folding knives.
    both are tanto point and liner lock. both are decent budget folders. Bang for the buck goes to the Benchmade. I have not abused either knife but just in everyday stuff, cutting rope and plastic ties, cutting wood shims for door hinge etc. I have not tried to put an edge on either.

EDIT: I should add the Vex is a lot look my Emerson CQC7

Benchmade Vex $35.95
    Every bit Benchmade, excellent fit and finish. G10 handle. Factory edge is very sharp. Very positive clip.
    The knife is a little big for EDC depending on what your doing. Only negative is that it is a Red box made in china. Otherwise very pleased with this heavy duty folder. I put this one in my BOB.

Best price I could find
    Benchmade VEX Manual Knife (PLN) 10751BP-VEX - Blade HQ

Gerber evo mid size, tanto, semi serrated $19.95
    Slimmer and lighter than the Vex, good for EDC, alum handle. Not a great knife but certainly good for the price. Has finger flip that works well. I wouldnt want to rely on this knife but could get you out of a jam. Good enough for regular duty.

amazon had it too.
    Walmart.com: Gerber Evo Tanto Knife: Hunting

2. coinshooter

coinshooter Monkey+

Thanks for the info. Looking for a good place to buy a good folder.

3. saddlebum

saddlebum Monkey++

Just my .02 worth but I've always found Gerber's to be brittle. I've had a number of them over the years break.....as in blades snap. Having said that I haven't used one for probably 10 years so maybe they've improved.
    Saddlebum

4. Sparky

Sparky Monkey+

You might also consider some of the Muela folders. I've had good luck with them and they're fairly inexpensive on ebay.

5. ReadyMann

ReadyMann Monkey+

what do you thing of Rat Knives?

6. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

I have never used a Rat but have only heard good things.

Update, The little gerber has been carried and used daily doing carpentry and general construction. It did lose it's edge but a schrade steel brought it right back.

I did manage to but some pretty good nicks in it, prying out plugs from a 5" Bosch hole saw bit while drilling roof vents.

7. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

8. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Partial to Spyderco Native

I enjoy reading the why's and wherefore's as to how folks feel about their EDC folding knives. I am very fond of my Spyderco Native. Spyderco does make a Native that has a serrated edge, but I prefer the smooth edge--just easier to sharpen, I guess.

I also like the generous width of the blade; it's great for a lot of odd jobs. So, the versatility is another selling point.

I do have to say that it is more expensive than a lot of the other choices, but I fell in love in love with it and I have not had any reason to think twice about whether I ought to have any other EDC folding knife.

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

That's a decent blade, especially for the price. I like CR13 steel, but I cringe at linerlocks, which ruins this one for me personally. Yet, for $16, who really can complain?

I have nothing against Gerber, they make a lot of excellent blades, but as far as folders go, I have only good reports on their top line. I would personally buy a SOG folder before another Gerber, and a Cold Steel folder before anything else. For the money invested and the amount of ruggedness offered, I really do think those are the best choices. Of course, there are always exceptions --Buck makes some pretty good work knives and so does Schrade Cutlery.

10. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have had the Gerber EVO for a year or so now, it' been my daily carrier and has seen use, but not really abuse. My only complaint with it is I managed to break the belt clip off when I bumped in to a doorway.
    I just sent Gerber a note asking about a replacement clip.

Just my personal opinion, but I refuse to buy from CTD due to their pricing policies around election time.

11. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Just got an email from Gerber. My replacement belt clip is on it's way, even recommended using blue locktite on the screws to make sure they don't come out.

12. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

i tend to like pocket knives with at least 2 blades... in a survival situation if your knife blade breaks it's nice to have a second blade... therefore i like Shrade middlemen and old timer stock knives.... unless you are chopping big wood a small knife is handier and if sharp will do anything a bigger knive can do...

13. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

I only carry folders as EDC...rarely outdoors...at present Boker assisted with glass breaker.

14. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

When it comes to quality for price, I have found the Columbia River brand to be outstanding. I've carried their line for close to ten years now and outside of the pocket clip coming loose, have never had an issue. I EDC a CRKT M16 straight edge (just hate combo blades as a personal thing) as a primary and have for over two years. It replaced an older CRKT Crawford/Kasper PM that had survived three deployments to the Middle East and kept on trucking. It didn't replace the PM because it broke, but because I wanted something with a tanto point and increased blade length.

Awesome steel in the blades and keeps an edge very well. Hard to sharpen, but once the edge gets on there, it stays.

I would recommend the brand without hesitation.

15. SurviveN

SurviveN Monkey+

Anything from kershaw for me, they make some awesome knives. super sharp out the box and stay that way with little sharpening.

Nickjlancaster and Sherman like this.
  16. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

Well the little gerber got lost months ago...which is why I buy cheap EDC's. I thought I had lost the Benchmade in an attic, even went back up and bagged all the insulation, searcing for it. it turned up in a tool bag.

Hedger I love my spyderco it was my EDC for 10 yrs, but my Wayne Goddard 1st addition is too valuable for EDC now.

17. prepperdad

prepperdad Monkey+

I have a kukuri knife that was given to me as a gift years ago. One of the finest survival knives ever.

BTPost likes this.
  18. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

I bought a spyderco grasshopper on amazon $13, very small but has already proved itself, I used it to cut conveyor belt at a rock quarry and that is some tough material. Only about 3" open, it is very flat, fits in coin pocket, no clip and no lock and no excuse to not have a cutting tool. The ladybug is even smaller about $7 but I was afraid I would lose something that tiny

19. PAGUY

PAGUY Monkey

I am partial to this old friend. Purchased in the PX on Scholfield Barracks in 1991 for less than $20.00. I sent it back once to have the pocket clip replaced but no other issues and yes I have abused her like there is no tomorrow. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342721451.957696.

20. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

$20 what a deal!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7