ATAX survival tool

Discussion in 'Survival Gear Reviews' started by CATO, Jun 2, 2012.

Register to hide advertisements

?

Useful or not

Poll closed Jul 2, 2012.
  1. This thing is awesome....here's my $200.00!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No thanks, I'll take 2500 rounds of .22lr instead

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. CATO

CATO NOBIS NON EXIERIS ARMA

oldawg and tulianr like this.
  2. TraumaHawk2011

TraumaHawk2011 Monkey

I liked the Zombie station better ;)
    jack_froste likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit troglodyte Administrator Founding Member

I wonder if sales will cover costs ---
  4. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator Site Supporter

As an AXE it looks like a waste of metal.... unless you lash it to a Branch, to get some leverage.... At that point, it is an Expensive Kludge of an AXE....
  5. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Id rather have a skatchet. Especially at that price.
  6. CATO

CATO NOBIS NON EXIERIS ARMA

Makes you wonder what constitutes a "survival expert" eh?

This guy (link below) is definitely a bad-a$$ survival expert, and I think the "tool" (read: machete) would be much more useful...but the $200 price tag. Just too much given other alternatives IMO.

Scorpion Knives: John "Lofty" Wiseman Survival Tool

I guess the question is: what is the price-point that you would be willing to pay for a very good survival tool, given the fact that you can buy very good items for ~$50?
  7. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member Site Supporter

It doesn't have a bottle opener. What a waste!
    Yard Dart, Brokor and Seawolf1090 like this.
  8. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

John Lofty Wiseman was one of the first "survival manuals" I ever bought. Still have it. I always envied the SAS/British take on the importance of fieldcraft.

I'm glad to see someone is making a modern version of the tool from the book.
    ETA: I just looked at the price.... HOLY COW! It seems much more useful than the ^ tool, though.

Not the same contour, but the 1' survival machete that Ontario makes (available at most PXs) is one of the best $15 I ever spent.

The other day I was catching up on Les Stroud's beyond survival when I saw a native using one of the cheap Cold Steel Kukri-type knives. I see these things at flea markets for like $10. I tried one, but it was a rolled blade that poorly sharpened compared to other tools I own. Eventually, I got rid of it. With a regrind, they would be great tools for $10- witnessed by the fact that some aboriginal African prefers the thing.... and he is surviving with it. (I think it was the episode about the Zulus, if anyone is curious).
    ExHelot and jack_froste like this.
  9. Turtle

Turtle Monkey

It would be useless to me.Is it a " good " tool ?...Well that depends on your perspective i'm sure it was good for Mr Hood ...he designed it based on how he does things and he most likely received a healthy endorsement fee or royalty.I will save my 200 $ though.
  10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey... Site Supporter

I prefer the Crovel that is listed on the web link. That is a much more usefull tool in my book!!