Band Questions

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by bpaintx, Mar 19, 2012.

Register to hide advertisements

1. bpaintx

bpaintx Monkey

Gentlemen,

I am considering getting into the HAM arena. My question is how useful / viable are dual vs tri vs quad band radios, specifically handhelds such as the Yaesu FT60R, VX-6R, VX-8R. I am primarily looking for an emergency use system, not for day to day conversation. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Travis
  2. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator Site Supporter

You might want to look at the latest Chinese Dual BAND STUFF, just now hitting the US Market. These seem to be getting good reviews, and are very small and light, but with good Battery Life. Would make GREAT B-O-B Comm Units, and some are even Part 90 Type Accepted, so they are legal on Business, GMRS, and Ham bands.

KG-UV3D

Wouxun Radios: Powerwerx is the exclusive distributor for the Wouxun KG-UV3D dual band handheld. Wouxun produces high quality ham radio and commercial handheld two way radios. Powerwerx stocks a complete line of accessories.

V: 136-174, U: 420-520 MHz V: 144-148, U: 420-450 MHz KG-UV3D-2/420-520 In Stock $119.99

I also saw, a few days ago, some Chinese Dual Band HTs. that were in the $50-$70US each, range.... but
    I can't seem to find the Place where they were advertised again... I will keep looking...

Just Say'en.... YMMV.....
  3. DKR

DKR Interesting ideas, interesting stories

409 shop

409 Shop in HK has the killer prices and they ship direct to the US. YOu may have issues with warranty work tho...
    BTPost likes this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit troglodyte Administrator Founding Member

I think the most pertinent question is, "What bands will be the most useful after SHTF?" I'm sure they won't be the same as the more frequently used ham bands under normal conditions like now.
  5. BTPost

Close Ghrit.... The real Question is, and has always been, Who, or Where, do you need to Communicate with? Once that is established the the right Bands, and Emissions, can be tailored to fit the Wanted Comms. Define the Who, and Where, and the rest falls into place, pretty simply. Just Say'en... YMMV....
  6. ghrit

Coast to coast should cover it.
  7. BTPost

Then you Go Here: IPS - Global HF - Hourly HAP Charts

Find the nearest City to your location, then hit Display.....
    When the Map Loads, Pick the Band that gets you coverage
    in the area you need to talk to....

This Map is updated Hourly, and is very good for picking Bands
    for Specific Comm Links....

Just Say'en... YMMV....
  8. ghrit

Hm. 10 thru 40 meters might cover it.
    BTPost likes this.
  9. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Pink Floyd; works every time!
    BTPost likes this.
  10. oldawg

oldawg Monkey++ Site Supporter

So you guys are sayin my white face Johnson and Texstar 250 ain't goodunuff any more?