Best walkie talkies?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Smitty, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Smitty

Smitty Monkey+

Looking for a pair of small hand helds with a TRUE 2 mile or more range. Any of you monkeys know of or have experience with any decently priced ones($150 or less)? Thanks in advance

Smitty

weegrannymush likes this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Good question....

Good question....that some of the members and visitors at this site might like an answer to. However, the question is probably best posted in the Communications forum...There are regulars there...BTPOst among others who may be able to offer some useful guidance.[/QUOTE]

tacmotusn likes this.
  3. Smitty

Smitty Monkey+

If u can move it go ahead if not no need for me to double post, right?

Smitty

Sorry if that came out rude. Posting from phone. I'll repost over there when home

4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

No offence taken

It's probably something that the administrators are likely to do anyway...moving the the post to the appropriate forum...my post was not intended as censure, and I'm not the site's resident posting appropriateness monitor, lol. Just that your question may be of interest to folk who frequent the comms forum, who perhaps don't delve into other parts of the site.

5. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

I'd be interested to hear about walkie-talkies too.....we are looking for some form of communication that wouldn't be too intimidating for me to use (since everything else seems to be so complicated!)

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Have a peek at BTPost's discussions on cheap Motorola lo tech cell phones that can be set up as w/t for close range private comms. Search on i355 on the forum. Cheap on evilbay.

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The Primer for MotoTalk Cellphones is in my Blog Space, here on the Monkey Site.
    An Interesting, SECURE, Comm's Device, for your CN-AoO

Granny, These are legal in Canada as well, so that would not be an issue for you.

I might also point out for the US Monkeys that MURS/GMRS/FRS will also fill many of the Local AoO Comm requirements. I do not have a Good handle on where Canada is on their Corresponding frequency Allocations.

8. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

I've got a pair of AudioVox GMRS/FRS hand helds that are pretty decent.
    They're rated for 22mi.,but I've only tested them out to about 6miles.They work well at that distance in the Florida woods.They also have about the same range in a suburban area.
    What attracted me to them is they are rechargable,take AA's,have a crank dynamo,and have a USB jack to charge,or be charged with.
    They also came with a Dbl charging stand that can either be plugged into 110v,or12v depending on which plug you use.
    They also have a jack for an external antenna,and one for an external mic.
    The only cons I've found with them so far is that they are not water resistant,and are about twice tha size of your standard FRS handheld talkie.
    Matt

9. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

All that you have said is good info, and I would probably rate your radios as medium range, but you really do need to read what BTPost has to say about the motorola I355 cell phones used as walkie talkies. just saying .... additionally your radios are not secure compared to the I355s

10. Smitty

Smitty Monkey+

Hmmmm.....now that gives me something to think about. I'll re-read your post a few more times before I start asking questions. Thanks

Smitty

11. Smitty

Smitty Monkey+

What did those run you and where did you get them?
    What model are they as well?

Smitty

12. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

I got them at a T/A Truck Stop for$69.99 a couple of years ago.They are model#GMRS1882CH .
    They were a special promo that came with a bunch of adaptors and such,as well as the Dbl charging stand.
    I got the battery size wrong though.They take AAA's,and not AA's.
    I like them not just becouse they crank charge,but also becouse I can charge the batteries for the other couple of FRS radios I have,and even my cell phone.
    I'm glad this thread was posted.It reminded me that I needed to pull them out of my BOB to recharge the batteries.I hope I didnt let them go to long.
    What I'd really like to find is some of the 2.4gig Sanyo Spread Spectrum cordless house phones.
    They could be used as talkies out to about 3miles,and were truely secure comms as two ways.
    The Government put an end to them becouse they couldnt monitor them.
    Matt

13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

tin-can-1.

Not exactly the same range as can be expected from the Motorola FRS line, but these babies make up for that in abundant quality.

14. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

Not to mention their strong OPSEC reliability.

These puppies cannot be pick up on ANY scanner.

TheyCall MeBruce likes this.
  15. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Chi-comm junk {Not legally Importable to the USA___ Note by BTPost}

[nospam]

16. Smitty

Smitty Monkey+

Agreed

17. BTPost

The deleted Post, was from a first time - Chinese IP User and was deleted as Spam, and the User is Banned.... These Units are NOT legal to import into the USA, as they are NOT Type Accepted by OUR FCC, and they operated on Frequencies that we use for Cellular Phones. Cute Idea, but you can get BETTER SECURITY, and better Ranges, by using the SECURE Phones that are already well tested, and also Legal to use here in the USA.
    http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/advanced-comms/28351-iden-ism-secure-comms-update.html

..... YMMV....

18. WindWarrior

WindWarrior Sea Monkey

An inexpensive dual band UHF/VHF HT is the TYT UVF-1. Typical 5W HT unit. Chinese manufactured, plastic body, not waterproof, but you can buy 2 of these for the price of a comparable Yaesu. It has extended freq range, including marine and commercial bands. There are a couple of good reviews on the web and on YouTube.

Range will depend on your antenna and your environment (mountains, buildings, etc.). In a flat, suburban environment (multiple 1-3 story structures) and using the supplied rubber duck antenna in my car, I get about 1.5 miles range with a second TYT HT inside a first floor apartment. I am able to hit 2 of the local repeaters easily. I recently purchased a mobile antenna and 2 N9TAX Slim Jim antennas (one for home, one for work) to establish simplex comms @ over 5 miles. I am told this should do the trick. We'll see...

19. qasimo

qasimo Monkey

love the "live paranoia" quote, ghrit! my sentiments exactly!

20. BTPost

I have a pair of of chinese UV-3R's to play with. Yep, they do work, and ARE very Wide Band, as well as Part 90 Type Accepted. Still evaluating the Radio, for IMD, and FrontEnd Overload potential. Not a problem out where I live, but in a Hi-Density RF Environment, could a BIG Issue. ...... YMMV.....

Brokor likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7