Best walkie talkies?

Discussion in 'Getting Started - Survival Communications' started by Smitty, Feb 3, 2012.

Register to hide advertisements

1. Smitty

Smitty Monkey

Looking for a pair of small hand helds with a TRUE 2 mile or more range. Any of you monkeys know of or have experience with any decently priced ones($150 or less)? Thanks in advance

Smitty
    weegrannymush likes this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Good question....

Good question....that some of the members and visitors at this site might like an answer to. However, the question is probably best posted in the Communications forum...There are regulars there...BTPOst among others who may be able to offer some useful guidance.[/QUOTE]
    tacmotusn likes this.
  3. Smitty

Smitty Monkey

If u can move it go ahead if not no need for me to double post, right?

Smitty

Sorry if that came out rude. Posting from phone. I'll repost over there when home
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

No offence taken

It's probably something that the administrators are likely to do anyway...moving the the post to the appropriate forum...my post was not intended as censure, and I'm not the site's resident posting appropriateness monitor, lol. Just that your question may be of interest to folk who frequent the comms forum, who perhaps don't delve into other parts of the site.
  5. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

I'd be interested to hear about walkie-talkies too.....we are looking for some form of communication that wouldn't be too intimidating for me to use (since everything else seems to be so complicated!)
  6. ghrit

ghrit troglodyte Administrator Founding Member

Have a peek at BTPost's discussions on cheap Motorola lo tech cell phones that can be set up as w/t for close range private comms. Search on i355 on the forum. Cheap on evilbay.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator Site Supporter

The Primer for MotoTalk Cellphones is in my Blog Space, here on the Monkey Site.
    An Interesting, SECURE, Comm's Device, for your CN-AoO

Granny, These are legal in Canada as well, so that would not be an issue for you.

I might also point out for the US Monkeys that MURS/GMRS/FRS will also fill many of the Local AoO Comm requirements. I do not have a Good handle on where Canada is on their Corresponding frequency Allocations.
  8. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey

I've got a pair of AudioVox GMRS/FRS hand helds that are pretty decent.
    They're rated for 22mi.,but I've only tested them out to about 6miles.They work well at that distance in the Florida woods.They also have about the same range in a suburban area.
    What attracted me to them is they are rechargable,take AA's,have a crank dynamo,and have a USB jack to charge,or be charged with.
    They also came with a Dbl charging stand that can either be plugged into 110v,or12v depending on which plug you use.
    They also have a jack for an external antenna,and one for an external mic.
    The only cons I've found with them so far is that they are not water resistant,and are about twice tha size of your standard FRS handheld talkie.
    Matt
  9. tacmotusn

tacmotusn Mosquito Sailor

All that you have said is good info, and I would probably rate your radios as medium range, but you really do need to read what BTPost has to say about the motorola I355 cell phones used as walkie talkies. just saying .... additionally your radios are not secure compared to the I355s
  10. Smitty

Smitty Monkey

Hmmmm.....now that gives me something to think about. I'll re-read your post a few more times before I start asking questions. Thanks

Smitty