Cheap home made generator

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by monkeyman, Sep 2, 2005.

Register to hide advertisements

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Moderator Moderator Founding Member

Here are some diagrams on how to build a cheap generator at home that will charge a 12 volt batterie bank (car batteries) and then with a small invertor you can power some basic things around the house if the lights go out, with more batteries and a bigger invertor you could power most any of the apliances in your home, with little more than an invertor, some car batteries, an alternator from a car and a lawn mower motor.
  2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

pics
  3. monkeyman

Use an auto belt to conect a lawn mower motor to the alternator and drive it with a pully on the motor, attach the motor and alternator to a board so that the belt is tight and wire it up as shown above and you can charge 1 battery or an entire bank of them connected in a 12 volt series so as to provide longer lasting power, then connect an invertor to the battery bank and you have a working generator with battery bank out of the junk pile or for a couple hundred dollars if you buy all the stuff new but why do that when you can get it from the curb side, junk yard, garage sales or a junk pile for free or close to it. If nothing else it can be a cool project for the kids to do for a science fare and learn to make thier own power.
    bob_falls@yahoo.com likes this.
  4. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member Site Supporter

A couple of observations.

One; use a deep cell RV,or Golf Cart battery.More exspensive but they are made for repeated draw downs and recharges.A normal car battery is not designed to be repeatedly drawn down and will not last as long as a deep cell.

Two; A great way to kill two birds with one stone is to hook your alternator set up to a stationary bicycle.Then you get a cardiovascular workout while charging your battery up.And it requires no fuel.
  5. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Or trolling motor battery.
    Also need 12 or 24 volt DC light bulbs and hookup wire.
    The grounding buss connectors sold at electrical supply houses and lumber yards would be ideal to hook up all your wires, just insulate one side, or use wood box.
    Two batteries hooked in series gives 24 volts, less voltage drop across the wire, and across the loads-light bulbs.
    Two batteries in parallel: + to + just increases the current available.

The big question for the gilligans island generator, would be, could you pedal fast enough to turn the alternator fast enough?
    You might have to add a bigger sprocket on the bike or smaller pulley on the generator to reach its minimum RPM to output the 13.6 VDC, or more to charge a 12 VDC battery.
  6. monkeyman

Ghost, yup thats what I ment, hook the + to + and - to -, just screwed up the term.

The golf cart, trolling, or deep cell RV or such batteries WOULD be better for this, especialy if you are buying them new as they will last a lot longer, the main reason I mention useing car batteries is that they are so plentiful. If it were being built in a SHTF situation or even by a person doing it for occasional use on a tight budget it can be done out of a junk pile, or could be done real well and even several of them if you could get turned loose in a junk yard. I know a lot of times around here you can buy percectly good used car/pickup batteries at the junk yards for $5-$10 and some will just let you have them to haul them off especialy if the car is getting ready to be sold for metal weight as they dont like the batteries in them at the polorizer. There are some ways to improve this if you have more money to spend, but I wanted to show it in the most economical form I know of for makeing power, and then ideas on how to improve its efficientcy and such could be added.
    bob_falls@yahoo.com likes this.
  7. preliator

preliator Monkey+++

this is a great site with photo's of the type of mount that can be used for either horizontal motor or verticle motor, it also gives pulley sizes and ratios.
    they sell the mount but it can be made easily enough. hope it helps
    anthony
    http://theepicenter.com/tow02077.html
  8. Brokor

Brokor OPSEC ENABLED Site Supporter

I found this little bit of info critical:

9. monkeyman

Of coarse you could also always pull the regularer off and put it in line the same as it is on the car if it didnt have one internal or regulate it by trial and error with a meter to determine the proper speed for the motor to give the apropriate RPMs to the alternator. Good point though
  10. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I always figured Should the shtf or peak oil or whatever... there'll be plenty of cars around for scavenged fuel,batteries, wire, alternators, 12 motors, bulbs and sockets steel( brake and fuel) tubing , burnable crankcase oil ...may be a cobbled dc world for awhile..