Common ammo availability if SHTF

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by PapaSasquatch, Dec 27, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

That's nice!!! I just like rolling my own for the boy and myself.

2. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Oddcaliber, 3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

This latest ammo and gun panic forced me to rethink my needs in fire arms. I decided this time I was NOT going to pay inflated prices for guns or ammo and sold instead of bought. Several things happened in the gun market and I was able to trade up so to speak. I sold my AR-15 for 1700.00 (paid 675.00 for it) Sold our Ruger P-89 hand gun for 350.00 (paid 275.00) Sold two Remington 7400 30-06 rifles for 650.00 (paid 700.00 ) Sold my ruger 10-22 for 275.00 (paid 180.00) Sold 1100 rounds of 5.56 for the AR for 600.00 I paid about 350.00 . The real money makers besides the AR and the ammo was 12 Eagle 10 round plastic Magazines made for the Remington 7400 rifles. I got over 700.00 on ebay for those magazines. I paid 12.00 each for them .

All I had left was my Bolt action Marlin 981 T .22 Rifle with Redfield Revolution scope , My Remington 870 20 gauge an old Remington 740 30-06 and my wifes Remington 1187 28 gauge.

Then I went to the Meijers store. Ammo in stock at the time(January 2013) .44 magnum 4 boxes, 30-30 32 boxes, 30-06 over 60 boxes. Zero .22 rimfire, zero .223, zero 7.62 by 39 and zero .308.

I took the money I made and purchased one Tikka Hunter bolt action 30-06 for my wife topped with a Leupold 3 by 9 by 40 mm. I got a Thompson Center Icon 30-06 for me with the same scope as hers. I picked up a mint condition 30-30 Marlin 336 for 300 bucks cash for my wife and a Ruger .44 magnum model 96 lever action for me. We also bought two Ruger SR-22 Pistols.

I have over 10,000 rounds of good and bulk .22 rimfire so we are good there. I bought up 300 rounds of 30-30 at 14 bucks a box. I bought up all the .44 magnum Meijers had and added 200 more 30-06 rounds for 600 total now. I did not pay inflated prices for the bolt guns and lever action guns. In fact they all were bought under average prices prior to the panic so I sold high and bought low. Yesterday at the Meijers store there was still 30 plus boxes of 30-06 at 18.99 to 21.99 per box. 30-30 is gone as is the .44 magnum however gun shops in town still have .44 and 30-30 at slightly higher prices. Tons of 20 gauge slugs on the shelves every where but buckshot is gone.

I think right now, today I could go out and purchase near 5000 rounds of 30-30, .44 mag and 30-06 by going around to all the stores in west Michigan. ON THE SAME TOKEN no one here HAS any .223, 7.62 by 39 or .22 rimfire. I think I made a good move. KF

kellory, Mountainman and Silversnake like this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I don't panic.
    I've been getting ammo a little at a time for years and have not been burning it up on the range , instead I have air guns that are equally effective in trigger time and a fraction of the cost to shoot .
    Post SHTF the transition to fire arms is almost seamless .
    If I invest in another gun it might be a Pre-Charged Pneumatic (air) in .45, which are quit capable of taking relatively large game.
    Molding and swedging (sizing) lead rounds is all the reloading it needs.
    Post SHTF old car batteries are my reserve ammo.
    Secondly It seems that so many the have guns and range time burn up ammo like it's free. Bad habits die hard .
    Post SHTF it is like that these will be the first to run out of ammo, not having the discipline to make every single shot count.
    I grew up being as conservative as possible because i didn't have the money to throw away .
    I'd use a sling shot unless the bow was more practical , but the gun was the last resort ,or reserved for the most serious event.
    When we went plinking it was a learning event and a little competition to make more fun of the event.
    We never went to the range, just to blow stuff up.
    Thirdly our targets we brought , we gathered and took home with us , we didn't leave trash ,like so many others that bring old TVs and alliances and then leave them. This is discusting . and it's a bad mark against the rest of us that care about our activities.
    These whom leave a mess provide ammo for those that hate guns and actually see to it those out side areas we shoot are shut down. The pigs provided all the ammo they needed.
    I realize this is a tangent , however the way we use ammo effects our sport , fun, and survival.

5. Unique

Unique Monkey

This is a good thread because it's a good reminder. I remember the ammo panic(s) and I live in a state that banned normal capacity magazines when no one though they would.

I learned my lesson well. Well sold off most of our guns and put the the money into ensuring that we have enough magazines for the guns we kept to last the rest of our lives. Now we put money back and every time my wife sees a good sale she buys another thousand rounds of our primary caliber. I generally change out my SD ammunition every two years so we bought a case of that that should last 10 years under normal usage. (It will never be cheaper than it is right now)

Seawolf1090 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I now have guns in the following calibers,.22short,.22lr,.22hornet,.22tcm,.32acp.32sw,.32swl,.32hr mag,.327,7.62 Nagant,..357mag,.38 special,.380,.44mag,.45lc,.45acp,.9mm,.40sw,.480ruger,.243,45-70,410and 12 gauge. I ought to be able to find something to shoot.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Geeze, I thought I had missed something until I noticed the original post was from December 2012. My reaction was the same then as now. Yawn. I only shoot what I reload for centerfire, and replace more than I shoot, and of better quality of rimfire ammo. Only thing I have stocked up on in years has been bullet molds and lube.

Alf60 likes this.
  8. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Well it worked out great. Selling the semiautomatic rifles and magazines While they were going for premium prices gain us several top shelf rifles and I was banking on the fact that semi auto rifles would go back down . They did. I bought two more AR-15 rifles for 500 each mags and ammo and now have top shelf everything . It was a great move on my part.

Alf60, Mountainman and BTPost like this.
  9. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Wow,old thread. Anyway over the past decade or so I've been squirreling away ammo. My simple approach was to buy a little at a time as I could afford it. Now I have a comfortable level of ammo on hand. I filled a 20mm ammo can with just 22lr alone! My other calibers are not to bad for now.

Alf60 likes this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. OldDude49
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Oddcaliber
  6. deMolay
  7. Grandpa Patch
  8. Bishop
    Thread

Socket mold

Here is how I make my slingshot ammo with a socket. [MEDIA]