Communications White Paper... MonkeyNet is here....

Discussion in 'Advanced Survival Communications' started by BTPost, Nov 7, 2011.

Register to hide advertisements

1. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator Site Supporter

Ok as promised, but only a week late, here is the Communications White Paper that I and the Development Team have been working on for the last SIX Months. This whole idea started with the Secure Phone Comms Thread, and My Secure Comms Blog, and has expanded from there. The premiss was, "What happens when the Internet doesn't function, anymore. How do we, Monkeys, keep our Communications going? How do we find each other for Mutual Support and Assistance, in a Post Internet World? Well that is what the White Paper, addresses. If you have comments, or interest in the MonkeyNet Project, feel free to make it known here, in this Thread.

Attached Files:

• WP1.pdf
      File size:
      253.4 KB
      Views:
    Motomom34, stg58, sniper69 and 14 others like this.
  2. carly28043

carly28043 Monkey

Allow me to say that this is very impressive and well thought out work.
    Opinionated likes this.
  3. Huntinbull

Huntinbull Monkey

Not far along in it, but impressive none the less. Gonna dedicate some time to finishing the first read and digestion. Great work BT. Your efforts are appreciated (and i personally marvel at your skill set).
  4. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace Site Supporter

BT - that is a Thinking Man's document :-)
  5. Mountainman

Mountainman Gro├čes Mitglied Site Supporter++

Read it yesterday and it was great!
  6. strunk

strunk Monkey

I'm starting it now... I'm not done it yet and I'll have some more comments... I'm VERY happy to see someone putting real work into this. I do have one concern up front (well, it's a manifold concern, but really one bullet point): Windows.

Windows is a non-secure OS. It's also not a trustworthy OS for COMSEC. I think one of the myriad flavors of UNIX would be a better foundation to build your trust upon. Linux is certainly more familiar option for many, with the benefit of making it easy to encrypt your boot disk. But it's not the only show in town (indeed, the BSD's were fairly mature while Linux was in its infancy).

EDIT: Skype is also completely untrustworthy for COMSEC.
  7. BTPost

Well, We started with what MOST of the Users HAVE installed... Lowest Common Denominator.... sort of thing.... Myself, I run the stuff on a Virtual Machine on my Mac OSX Snow Leopard. The GPG Stuff can be run on just about ANY OS, you can Name. The OnePad App doesn't Need Internet, or ANY Off Computer Connection, to be used, so It doesn't depend on Outside Comms Connection to work. The Stego App Does require a Way to get the Image Files into and out of the Computer but that could ALWAYS be done via File Transfers, using Memory Sticks, where the Comm Links were done with a different OS. I do NOT see your NIT, as a issue, when the Comm Links can be handled off the Computer, running the WinDoz OS.... Just Say'en.... YMMV.... But Good Comments so far.... Keep them Comming....
  8. strunk

strunk Monkey

There is a base expectation that the average Joe will use this?
  9. BTPost

If they want to have Comms within their Group, or with other Monkeys in their Region, then Yes, once the Internet No longer is available. Long Distance Comms would come, once those Comm Links can be established... Another reason, that we did not get fixed on the Comm Link Layer but stayed with the Secure Messaging Layer.... for this section of the Project....
  10. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++

Now comes the fun part ,who to share with and when .