FIX'n WAX (how to)

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Brokor, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

This is how I make "Fix'n Wax".

Fix'n Wax ingredients (my own recipe):
    1 cup pure organic beeswax, 1/2 cup unrefined shea butter, 1 teaspoon sweet almond oil, 1 teaspoon coconut oil, 10 drops peru balsam essential oil.

You can add a bit more oils if you wish, as this recipe is somewhat flexible. The fix'n wax does not become too hard with the above recipe, but I do prefer mine to remain a little more solid. If you would like for it to be a little more like putty, just double the oil or add more shea butter. You can also add vitamin E oil, and use your imagination. Just remember not to use too much oil, as this will make the final product too soft.

How I cook:
    I use an old steel pan I plan not to use for anything else. Place the stove burner on low heat, be patient and do not cook too fast! Maintain awareness at all times. Place the shea butter and beeswax into the pan first. Wait until the beeswax melts; the melted mixture should be a dark, golden color. Add your oils and gently swish or stir. Remove from heat and allow to sit for a couple minutes. If you start to see the mixture begin to wax over, start pouring immediately. Use your containers and be aware of the fact that this wax mixture will be HOT!

Fix'n Wax Storage:
    After several years, I imagine this has the potential to dry out. Therefore, if you plan to store pre-made fix'n wax, be certain to seal it in an airtight container, or inside a tin with wax paper to prolong its use.

Uses:
    You can use this fix'n wax for minor skin applications, on the metal of tools and blades, bow strings, on wood, leather, anything you wish to seal or protect. You could even treat canvas with this wax. Alternatively, this could also be used as a fire starter additive.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
    arleigh, chelloveck, Ganado and 4 others like this.
  2. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

You know when I saw this In bushcraft I was thinking something else entirely.

chelloveck and Brokor like this.
  3. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Wow! How did I miss this??? Great info and tutorial... Thanks for posting... I really like the natural ingredients... was looking at a beeswax / neatsfoot oil mix... this sounds better :0)

Witch Doctor 01, Ganado and Brokor like this.
  4. EtDub

EtDub Monkey

Where do you get your peru oil from?

Sent from my MiPhone !

5. Brokor

chelloveck likes this.
  6. EtDub

EtDub Monkey

Thanks

Sent from my MiPhone !

Brokor likes this.
  7. EtDub

EtDub Monkey

Made my first batch. More of a cream color than golden.

Sent from my MiPhone !

8. Brokor

Yes, after it cools, the color is creamy yellowish in color. =)

9. EtDub

EtDub Monkey

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380505296.730306.

Sent from my MiPhone !

10. EtDub

EtDub Monkey

This stuff beats the hell out of Chapstick. Stays on for what seems like forever.

Sent from my MiPhone !

Brokor and Bear like this.
  11. EtDub

EtDub Monkey

Thanks again for the recipe. I was about to order some from the pathfinder school. Then I found this post. Now my girlfriend was some that smells good lol

Sent from my MiPhone !

chelloveck, Bear and Brokor like this.
  12. Brokor

Who knows? Maybe the Pathfinder Fix'n Wax is better. It's not expensive, and might be worth a try. ;)

chelloveck and Bear like this.
  13. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

@Brokor Finished up @Hanzo 's axe and tomahawk sheath today with the tin of this stuff you sent today... terrific finish... hit it with some low heat from my heat gun and got great results... and didn't have to worry about questionable chemicals on the sheaths or on my hands :0)
    Great stuff indeed.... it will be delivered tomorrow so I'll let Hanzo add his comments after he gets them :0)

kellory, Brokor and Hanzo like this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mahalo buddy. I know it's good already, even sight unseen.

15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Must say, Brokor's fixin wax is pretty bitchin'!

16. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Just made my first batch. Might have gone a little short on the bee's wax so they are a tad soft but wow this stuff hits the skin and melts right in. Awesome stuff! Great smell and it came out pretty much exactly the same color as the stuff in Brokor's vid. Didn't measure anything other than breaking a pound of bee's wax in half-ish and cutting a pound block of the shay butter in half. That made 9 small cakes about 3/4-1 inch deep in a small muffin tin.

17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

nicely done!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    chelloveck and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Learn sum tin ever day.

19. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Follow up that I forgot to come back for! Thanks for the bump arleigh.

After about a week the blocks set up to be much harder than I first thought. I'd say the proportion of wax I used needs to go down a smidge and the coconut oil needs to come up 2 smidges <---very accurate and easily replicated unit of measure I know! The firmness of these blocks is actually a boon for knife/tool upkeep, however. It is easy to apply to metal surfaces by using it as you would a large fat crayon, just smear it on and rub it in. Word to the wise, if you're going to keep this stuff in any type of bug out/truck bag be sure to put it in a small container with a lid!

I have to use a fingernail to shave off the wax to apply to dry skin but once it warms to skin temp it really works in nice. This stuff has done wonders for my dry & cracked hands. Can't believe I'm getting age spots on my forearms already but this stuff has helped to clear them up. Can't even tell where they were. Oh elbows, knees, and heels too.

So many thanks again for this recipe Brokor!

Brokor likes this.
  20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Brokor this is a really nice recipe and this is my stab at it. I could not get the peru balsm smell to come thru in the mix. Maybe it has to marinate a while. The 10 drops of balsam wasn't enough for even a half recipe, it still smells like bee's wax and shea butter to me. If, after it marinates for a day or so I still can't smell the balsam, I will warm this up and add cinnamon or lavender, just because I'm female and my knife should smell like lavender [lolol]
    Overall a very nice consistency of wax and shea butter with just enough oil for creaminess. I like this recipe alot ! Now if I can just get the smell right......

Good cuticle cream as well.

This is my 2 dollar double boiler from goodwill
    [​IMG] .

and the wax in the containers. These are intended as gifts ... thus the small containers...the one at the top is still golden from the pour
    [​IMG]

It does melt at just above body temp so here in the desert I put these in the refrigerator for now.

Brokor likes this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. Bishop
  3. Benjamin A. Wood
  4. Benjamin A. Wood
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. hot diggity
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. hot diggity
  9. DKR
  10. thewildyam
  11. Ura-Ki