Flint and Steel

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Very cool!... hand made built barter items are the best!... well all trade barter items are cool :0)

Yup... Purple Heart is a very cool wood... got a chunk of it .... but never did anything with it... nor do I think I have anything made from that wood....
    Thanks @kellory

B

kellory likes this.
  2. Bear

:0) been thinking of how to make custom stamps... especially one for SMF Bush Monkeys :0)... got a 4 ton fly press and 20 ton frame press and a bunch of ideas of how I can make some cool things with them... :0) Thanks @kellory

kellory likes this.
  3. Bear

No worries... we're talking about flint and steel... so tinder goes well with the discussion :0)
    Thanks for the comment @oldawg

I've got a huge spool of Jute twine that makes awesome tinder to pack in a good compact package... cut what you need ... wrap it around something or just put it in a bag... essentially waterproof... when you need it... cut what you need... unravel it... fluff it up and voila!

Great suggestion and comment!

Bear

oldawg and Brokor like this.
  4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have a field of cotton that has cotton bolls that will work well ...

Bear likes this.
  5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Got a ball of candle wick, it is Hemp & Bees Wax. Waterproof and smells good too.

Hemp- Hemp- Hurrah

Got it in KONA some years back, I think, memory seems to be going1/1/1/!?!?!?

Bear likes this.
  6. Bear

SM b1.JPG Got my first "Bush Monkey Barter" BMB deal in the mail today!
    Thanks Buddy!... you know who you are :0)

Brokor likes this.
  7. Bear

OK... Wrote this up as I was thinking about all the years I have worked around dangerous items and potential safety hazards.... those that know me know that I am a safety proponent... I know that for some... working with flint and maybe even fire may be a first... so I wrote this to make sure they, those around them and others are safe.... Let me know what you think and please take the time to read it ... as always comments / thoughts are welcome :0) You can never have too many safety reminders...

To my fellow Monkeys,

I care about your health and well being... and you must also take responsibility for your own health and well being.

You must now understand that striking flint with steel or any other item causes razor sharp flint fragments and dust to fly off in all and unforeseen directions. It will also create a razor sharp edge on the flint itself.

So you must protect yourself and do not forget to protect anyone else around you. All that follows applies to you and those around you.

You must protect your eyes and lungs from these razor sharp fragments and dust particles as they can cause serious / permanent damage and even death.

All the books, websites and other reference resources indicate that you must protect yourself and those around you when you engage in this activity and so do I.

Wear eye protection and a respirator to protect yourself from flying shards and never ever inhale the dust that is created. Remember you will not see the shard until it is too late and you certainly cannot see the dust.

Also wear gloves / protective apron or clothing and work in an area that is well ventilated and you can control and collect for proper disposal all the shards and dust generated.

Make sure all the dust and shards of off your clothing and hands... you do not want to rub your eyes or play with a loved one with any of this stuff on you or your clothing.

I am not trying to ruin anyone's fun but I do want to make sure that everyone is safe... including you!

Also note that making any kind of fire is very dangerous. Make sure you follow all the fire safety precautions and rules for your specific location and that a fire extinguisher or other means of putting out a fire is readily at hand and that you know how to use it effectively.

I am not there to ensure that you follow these safety rules so you are responsible for your own safety as well as the safety of those around you when you engage in this activity.

If you cannot practice and follow these safety requirements then do not engage in any form of flint striking or knapping or fire making.

Please be safe.

Sincerely,

Bear

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

.....uh, yes Sir.ohno

Bear likes this.
  9. HK_User

Yes, flying flint, sparks and steel can be a dangerous thing. I'm one of those people that has to take a X-ray before I can have an MRI.

Good advice.

Bear and kellory like this.
  10. kellory

So am I. I usually fall asleep in the MRI machine.

Bear likes this.
  11. Bear

Never had a MRI... have a friend who freaks out and has to be sedated...

Gonna do the random drawing thing in a little bit for the 3 kits... I count 13 members on this thread... not bad odds of winning... not sure if all of them want in so I'll pm them and if not... the next in line gets it :0)

Brokor likes this.
  12. Bear

Here are the Winners!... (actually all Monkeys are winners :0)

In order of the random number picker....

1st @Witch Doctor 01
    2nd @BTPost
    3rd @cdnboy66

Congrats!... PM me your preference off the pics if you have one... and send me your addys you Lucky Monkeys :0)

Thanks every for participating... fun stuff... I am forging up some more so just let me know if you want one and I'll keep you posted...
    Hope to finish them up this week/weekend :0)

Bear

13. kellory

Cograts to the winners.;)

Bear likes this.
  14. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Thanks much... I appreciate it... PM is on the way....

Bear likes this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Nicely done, Bear, and congrats to the winners.

Bear likes this.
  16. HK_User

Yes, so do I, that freaks my wife out.

17. HK_User

I'm sure they will be happy and surprised.

Bear likes this.
  18. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

Indeed I am, nice way to start a new week.

Bear, thank you.
    I will drop you a pm shortly

Bear likes this.
  19. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Congrats to the winners and thanks again to Bear for all he does for the Monkey!

Bear likes this.
  20. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Great give away, Bear. & congrats to the winners! You cheeky monkeys!

I still wants me a setup though. Keep us apprised of any progress on that front please!

Oh yeah and the 'In like flint' was perfect for this thread! Punny. Yes it is a play on the original saying that came about based upon the showy entrances made by Errol Flynn but those of us not around when they named dirt may just barely be old enough to have watched James Coburn's spy spoofs Our Man Flint & In Like Flint. Pun purists be darned! The rest of us can make up any darn pun we like so there. Not bustin' your chops, kellory! Just sayin'...

Byte

1. chelloveck
  2. chelloveck
  3. chelloveck
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Illini Warrior
  6. DKR
  7. Ura-Ki
  8. Aspiring_Caveman
  9. Coyote Ridge
  10. Coyote Ridge