Grew up a little today (at least I think)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Beano, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Beano

Beano Monkey

Finally deactivated my facebook page. It started out as more of a deal like ignoring the trees falling in the forest. The missus has the hots for certain celebs and can't resist vocalizing it through ones and zeroes, while holding me to a much higher standard. But, then I realized that I am almost 34, with a strong anti-state streak to which I give digital vocalization, as well, too often. So I solved two problems at one time. Everything I keep up with there, I can still be aware of; just will take a little more button-pushing. And she can say whatever she likes and I'll be none the wiser.

This was part actual post, part rant, BTW. There's no one I can vent to around here.

2. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

Well, I'm older than 34, and I still have a facebook page. I don't put much on it. I use it mainly to keep up with friends scattered about the world, and family members. Occasionally, I'll share an article on there that I know for a fact will utterly tick off my more liberal friends and family. I don't see it necessarily as a liability. It's all about what you put on there.

Any social media can cause problems if handled irresponsibly; but social media is just a projection of your personality and identity, which can be projected in many other ways. The house one lives in, the car one drives, the clothes one wears, stickers on the car, flags flown at the house, and graphics on tee shirts are all projections. If someone is the sort of person who displays inflammatory, offensive, or inappropriate sentiments through any of their projections; then facebook will probably cause them some problems, but I don't think that facebook itself is the problem.

I'm not one of the more opsec minded individuals on here. I'm not hiding from anyone, and I worked in intelligence long enough that I doubt someone's ability to use the computer, or even interact with society, and maintain any semblance of privacy. As I've stated before, I feel that privacy is an illusion. I know that when I was doing the job, the more someone tried to hide their communications or activities, the more we dug and the more resources we devoted to the effort. A basic concept throughout the community was that if they are trying to hide something, it must be important; and the harder they work to hide it, the more important it must be.

I'm a firm believer in being careful in what I say and do in any public forum, and not attracting attention by staying in the static. If they don't know to look for you, you don't need to hide.

Tracy, STANGF150, Beano and 3 others like this.
  3. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Seldom go to FB. Occasionally will visit with a couple friends but just not enough time in the day to do that stuff. Have a friend who plays games all the time--just has to be more to life than that.

Tracy, Beano and tulianr like this.
  4. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

I had canceled my FB account a while back. Seems like every jerk I used to know all of a sudden wanted to be "friends".

kellory and Beano like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I still have my FB account. I have less then two dozen friends and only 3 personal pictures. I like very little and I don't accept friend invitations from people I have no desire to talk to. My liberal friends are either ignoring my posts or are slowly getting a proper education on the truth. I have thought about canceling my account because I think Zuckerberg is slime & I do think they track people. During the 2012 election they kept sticking Dem ads on my page, I kept reporting it as spam and offensive.

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

What's facebook? Never had anccount....

7. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

I am on a low information diet. Too much real life getting in the way right now.

Beano likes this.
  8. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

I have a FB account. I have family 700 miles away and farther. Also, got some interesting info on herbs and such. Keep up on (socially acceptable) interests other than what's here. Not much else.

tulianr likes this.
  9. Beano

Beano Monkey

THIS is an exact description of an unknown affliction amongst everyone right now, and probably the real reason I declared my Facebook emancipation.

10. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

I'm on FB. I LIKE very few pages & its a small number on my Friend list. I utterly LOVE sum the pages i have LIKED. For example UnBelievable Facts, learned sum things from there, Homestead and Prepper, and of course Lights Out Saga :)

11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I think that most on here don't utilize FB the way we are supposed to. I think FB wants us to have 500 friends, put photos galore on our page and like everything. I found you can read most pages, like politicians and authors, plus info pages without liking but you have to have a FB account to read them.

PlumbNutz and tulianr like this.
  12. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

LiL hard to read mine Ms Moto, I set up the Privacy Settings so only "FRIENDS" can see anything :)

13. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I use it to stay I touch with all of my friends and family over seas in different time Zone's.
    Also all of my friends in the 2 sandboxes leave me messages. Hard to be online at the same time.

14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I still have an account but rarely post anything and mostly use it for family and friend updates. I like to see what is going on with them thru that filter, mostly because I dislike talking to most of them for any length of time on the phone (what the doctor said is their favorite game & there goes 30 more minutes of my life). I never "check-in" from the sites I am visiting and working on getting the rest of the fam damily to do the same. My daughter leaves a cookie trail to follow with check in's- but hey 20 somethings rarely listen and what does dad know anyways.......
    My favorite link of the few I have, is Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. I managed to get my step-father ultra-lib to un-friend me due to that sites content I kept shoving his way- makes me feel happy just thinking about it.:D But that is another story....

PlumbNutz, tulianr and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  15. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

I have 5000 FB friends consisting of people I don't even know. Some of them don't speak english which, if you think about it, is really an advantage.

Tracy and Motomom34 like this.
  16. Screw a whole bunch of Facebook.

17. Harbin

Harbin Monkey+

I got rid of mine a few years ago, only had it for a couple months. I was wasting too much time on it, so I deleted it and nominated my wife to the high office of Chief of Correspondence and planning. She kept hers, and laughed when i told her of her new title.

tulianr likes this.
  18. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

I have an account, under an aka.
    I keep my posting to a minimum, just because I don't need to tell everyone everything I do.
    I keep it to stay in touch with my kids when I am away from home, and to keep in touch with family that lives on the opposite side of the country. It works for what I use it for, but I can see that as the privacy issues expand, I may find a time where the cost reward benefit will change and I may withdraw my account.

19. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It is there, (Facebook) and I read it every day to see what the GrandKids are up to.... Rarely Post anything, as I do NOT have much to say to the world, in general...

STANGF150 and tulianr like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7