Harbor freight solar panels

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by fortunateson, Feb 18, 2010.

1. mr.nobody

mr.nobody Monkey+

dataman,

i haven't found solar setups tobe that hard. books are nice to read. i like using sites where you put in what you have and the distaances of the wire runs. my 3600 watt grid tied system uses this gti, SMA Sunnyboy SB-5000US

i have 1400 watts of growth left in that model. i do plan to add the extra 1400 watts this summer. i have taught myself everything,but i get a electrician to hook up the a.c. side. when we got approvale from the electric companyi did all the solar panel hook ups. getting the voltage up on the solar panels is not hard at all. 1st positive goes to the lead going to the gti.remember when you up the voltage yousimply do not need as thick a wire as you do with a with 12 volts. i normally runmine right around the middle voltage raange of the gti. i will run the two wires from the dasy chained solar panels on one rack to a bus bar. i do the second rack the same way. then i run each of the serperate bus bars to one bus bar. from that bus bar i run into the d.c. side of the gti.

you have to understand that these gti's are mppt(multi power point tracking). what that means if you panel is rated at say 17.3 volts under load and 22.1 open the mppt unit makes the panels work at the 22.1 open voltage.

i have read little about doing it. i done much of it. hands on in my book is better than book learnings. momma told me i didn't need no book learnings[soap]!!!!!!! so far we pay not electric bill, but we don't get paid for it either. in kentucky they give you credits towards your bill. i plan on our next home being totally off grid. i'll replace all the 220 volt stuff like the stove,water heater, and clothing drier to run off propane. i will have to have a larger 220 volt pure sine wave inverter to run the lathe and endmill.

2. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Maxflax I use a company called Foremost. They are really good about taking my money, and thats all I can tell you. I have never had a claim in the years I have been with them. Knock on wood !

hank2222 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7