Springfield Armory M6 Scout

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Seacowboys, Jan 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

Hey,
    So I took it out to the range yesterday.
    im actually suprised at the 22 hornet round. its a quick little bugger.
    with standard sights hitting a little high @ 100 yards. seems like its sighted in @ 150yrds. other than that is looking pretty nice.
    didnt do much with the .410 other than test for function .
    When i got mine it was all rattle can painted sand yellow. So i spent a few hours taking that nasty crap off and painted it a flat engine block black ceramic paint. then wrapped the barrels in some OD green paracord.
    Am now looking for a inexpencive bolt action /break open .22 hornet and the reloading equipment for it.
    Daengus, how can you tell its age?

2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Check the serial number with S.A. ?

I am not certain, but if it has a serial number, and I expect that it would, you may be able to check it with Springfield Armoury for date of manufacture perhaps. It maybe worth a try if you could be bothered with the trouble of doing so.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You could also try thefirearmsforum.com There are folks there that know a LOT.

4. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

The short range is corrected by the .22LR. This isn't migratory bird hunting... it's potting meat. Shoot sh*t off the ground. My grandfather would say if you need a longer range gun, you probably aren't hunting right.

[dunno]

kellory likes this.
  5. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I moved the scout sale posts to the Buy, Sell, trade - Firearms Related Forum

6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Bump

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I found an M6 at a local shop for $340. Might have to think about it...it's in perfect shape.

8. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

They are going for $450 + now and I usually see them for $600

A little steep for an over under .410/22 even if they are kinda cool

An ounce is 437.5 grains, BTW and a .410 slug is in no way comparable to a .41 Magnum, maybe half as powerful.. this slug taken from the shell was 96 grains.. standard .41 mag bullet is 210 grains

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41_3.htm

For deer my opinion is the .410 with the 3 inch 5 pellet 000 load at close range is your best bet, and only on small deer

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

A .410 was my first deer hunting rifle. Works very well for the task, but not for long range obviously. Once I "graduated" to the 30-30, I never used anything else. Today it's the 7mm Rem mag. Sometimes I miss that .410.

10. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

It can work, but so can a .22 LR

If I could pick one of these up for the $150 they are worth, I would, just for fun and a BUG out pack gun

11. chuckley

chuckley Monkey+

m6scout

well if you got it for 150 and want to make some money let me know :)

12. fishpicker

fishpicker Monkey+

Hi There.
    New member here.
    I was googling the M6 and it pointed me to this forum.
    It looks very interesting.
    I traded a freind a broken leaf blower and a good unused HVLP paint gun for a what I think is a pretty early version of an M6.
    Actually a common freind of ours who flew bush in Alaska but fell upon tough times gave it to him.
    I haven't shot it yet and it looks like it may not have ever been shot.
    serial number is M-037**.
    Says made in Geneseo, Ill.
    Also says 1974 on the side of the reciever.
    No trigger guard.
    Looks like it's parkerized. 22/.410
    Pretty cool

13. eqlzr

eqlzr Monkey+

I think the real value of the M6 Scout if you have one, is that you have one, and 99% plus of the rest of the population probably doesn't. IMHO, of course.

14. teeter

teeter Monkey+

I regard them as a joke. The sights and trigger pull are very poor, they are single shots, the 410 barrel has no choke, so it's ineffective beyond 20 yds. I can't believe that anyone ever gave $100 for one, much less $400. The Savage 22/20 ga over/under was considerably more effective, and that's all it ever sold for. Both are out of production and for a good reason. They just don't amount to much. I"d much, much rather have a .22 autoloading rifle, any day. Except for geese and turkeys, birds just aint worth a shotshell in a survival situation. An unchoked 410 better not be fired at such large birds beyond 50 ft, and even then, you'd better know where the pattern in centered in relation to your sights, and aim carefully at the head and neck. Restricting yourself thusly is silly, since the .22 rifle can easily take such birds at 3x that range with a chest hit. All birds stop flying sooner or later,and can then be taken with a .22 rifle, or better yet, snares/traps. Ditto fish, nets, and trotlines and traps. So what value the 410 barrel, eh? The 410 slug weighs 88 grs, and the accuracy of it j(or lack thereof, in a smoothbore), doesn't lend it to taking deer or hogs beyond about 50 yds. Any decent rifle user can easily brain such critters at 50 yds, using a good .22 rifle.

15. forestdavegump

forestdavegump Got ur 6, Bubba.

These(Springfield CZ m6 scout)rifles and the Savage 24 series are great. I never had a Remington o/u combo rifle shotgun version. I would take any of these any day. I like the M6 for its trigger and in stock ammo holders, I like the 24's for the 12 or 20 gauge options and I just like guns...so I guess I am not to picky and can appreciate each rifle for what they offer. Everyone should have one or two of each :)

ExHelot likes this.
  16. ghrit

Young newbie sir, you would do well to establish your credibility before delivering opinions on things which are covered in detail on this and other sites. Pretty cheeky for a newb to take such a dismissive and belittling approach. Eh?

Or are you maybe gunkid's reincarnation -- ;)

ColtCarbine, Seawolf1090 and BTPost like this.
  17. teeter

teeter Monkey+

I had creditability while you were still in diapers, "sir", rest assured of that. I do NOT need to waste a year on your site establishing that I know my stuff. That, "sir", is obvious to anyone who reads 3-4 of my posts.

18. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Hey Gun Kid...(y)

19. ghrit

You're pegged, bub. If you have credibility, it is not here. You might think about applying one of my used diapers to your cake hole. I am senior to you by at least 15 years. Please take your drivel back to the correctional facility that birthed this reincarnation. The tactical wheelbarrow should be enough to carry it and still have space for your ghillie suit.

ColtCarbine, Seawolf1090 and Falcon15 like this.
  20. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

gunkidelite5ko-1.

1. Brokor
  2. kubo0885
  3. CATO
  4. tlance22
  5. Seacowboys
  6. Doggtown
  7. Seacowboys
  8. long colt
  9. NYBuilder