Vacuum sealers...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Equilibrium, Jan 7, 2011.

Register to hide advertisements

1. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey+

What about what this wein mann member said over here http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/gear-reviews/12039-vacuum-sealers.html, "For dry packing 5 gallon buckets. I use a small vacuum pump with a 1/8 inch plastic tube and a common clothing iron to seal the mylar bags. I place bay leaves and a O2 absorber in the bags prior to the sealing." This advice seems logical to me since bay leaves would discourage grain pests and why should we purchase a sealer that uses proprietary bags or a more expensive unit capable of sealing mylar. Has anyone used this method of removing air with a hand pump then sealing the bag with an iron instead of buying an expensive vacuum sealer?
  2. Ajax

Ajax Monkey+

From what I understand all you need for Mylar bags is a oxygen absorber and a clothes iron. Put the absorbers in and then seal it and they will do the job just fine to remove the oxygen from the bag. Should kill or severaly stunt any insects or eggs in the grain also.

I don't know much about the bay leaves. I have read they do work and don't work to keep bugs away but I don't really know.
  3. Disciple

Disciple Monkey

Theres a guy over on you tube that does it with a nozzle conncted to a vacuum cleaner. he seale the mylar bag around the nozzle turns the vac on sucks the air out pulls the nozzle out then seals the bag the rest of the way. Whether or not this process is valid for longevity, I dont know seems like somewhat of a pain in the Keister. I think purchasing a vaccuum sealer may be the best way to go. His way way leads to air getting back into the bag which is exactly what you do not want.
    I've looked at a few vacuum sealers, and have found a few good ones that are very well made but there are certain things I want to package in bulk like semolina flour for
    making my own pasta, or sugar, even things like salt. So what I have decided to do and it's a pain in the keister, but it's simple and concise I'm using smaller vacuum bags and doing more dividing up of supplies.
  4. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Monkey

I do the vacuum method like the guy on youtube. I use a piece of baseboard as the backer for the mylar bag when I heat seal it, since the profile gives me two distinct seals. I keep the vacuum running while I seal the bag, this seems to pull most of the air out and makes the bag nice and tight. I also use O2 absorbers, so after 24 hours the bags are like a brick.
  5. Disciple

Disciple Monkey

@ sharpshooter; do you ever loose any product in doing it that way? I mean your powder and crystal as in flour, sugar, salt, or any rice or beans?
  6. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey+

Thank you sharpshooter. I don't think I'm going to invest in a vacuum sealer just yet if I can learn how to achieve the same end result with my iron... I'm totally not into unnecessary consumerism and.... the unit I found that appeared to be the best value was about $300 without shipping and handling. Ridiculous spending that kind of money when there are folk out there like you successfully doing it with an iron. I will have to check into vacuum pumps which I need to do anyway for mason jars.
  7. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Moderator Moderator Site Supporter

I don't vacuum seal my mylar bags, just seal them with an iron. I use a piece 1" dowel as the backer, seal all but the last 1/2" or so, the press out the remaining air and seal. I use bay leaves (no concrete evidence they work or don't work, they are cheap so I use them anyway), and O2 absorbers (I forget the size. O2 absorbers are put in the bottom, midway point, and on the top of what I'm sealing.
    My family uses a vacuum sealer a lot. We buy our groceries in bulk and split the food into serving size portions in vacuum sealed bags. We even put left overs in bags and seal them since you can re-heat in the bag in boiling water. I'm starting to experiment with putting mixed dehydrated food into the vacuum sealed bags. To make a meal, just open and add water.
    I
  8. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member Site Supporter

I like your meal in a bag idea. I'll have to try that. Thanks! :smile:
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++ Site Supporter

A bit off topic but i have used my vacuum sealer for this...
    22lr 002.JPG
  10. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey+

I lost where I read it but I found a woman who stated she ironed her mylar leaving a 1/2" unsealed then stuck a straw in and sucked out the air herself. There's also a cheap manual pump that looks like it would do the job, Amazon.com: Ziploc Vacuum Starter Kit, 3-Quart Bags, 1-Pump: Health & Personal Care. Works for me. Doesn't work for glass mason jars though. Anyone know anything about this product, Pump and Seal food saver vacuum sealer is better than Tilia FoodSaver?

adding question for Gator 45/70.... are those bullets you just vacuum sealed? Silly you... you can't eat those. Seriously though... why vacuum seal bullets? Don't those come in boxes you can stack all nice and neat and orderly?