Waterproof matches

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by rsbhunter, Feb 18, 2012.

Register to hide advertisements

1. rsbhunter

rsbhunter Monkey

Hope this is in the right section....I was wanting to know what the best method is for making truly, waterproof strike anywhere matches? Wax, varnish, or another recipe? Also, are any of you finding it harder to find the true "strike anywhere" kitchen matches? Thanks for any idea's, rsbhunter
  2. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

Clear fingernail polish, easiest. Really hot wax, use a double boiler. Bic Lighters, not too impressed with them when wet or cold, or your fingers are cold or at altitude.
    There is a way of using corrigated cardboard and strike anywheres, (yes, harder to find), put the matches into the cardboard every other 'hole' and dip into the hot wax, not submerging them, just half way or so. Reverse the matches and repeat.

I really don't think there is a way to make them totally H2O proof, use a match safe or bottle to be sure, a dry striker is really nice to have...

Carry other options also, fire steel, magnesium deally, ect...
  3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey++

I have an aluminum matchbox; the top is threaded and there is a O-Ring seal. I've submerged it in the sink for a 3.5-4 hours and it didn't leak. IMO, get one with an O-Ring seal.
    rsbhunter likes this.
  4. DKR

DKR Interesting ideas, interesting stories

i have seen folks that dip their matches in turpentine, flip and soak the bottom.

Dry completely.

Store in suitable container. I use a travel sized aspirin container - holds quite a few matches.
    rsbhunter likes this.
  5. rsbhunter

rsbhunter Monkey

wtrprf matches

I have tried the hot wax method, and i carry a blast match, magnesium fire starter, magnesium shavings, dryer lint...magnifying glass, fresnel lens...so yeah, i've tried to cover all the bases.....Thought 1 time i had seen a recipe for mixing turpintine and wax or someting like that...curious about any new "emergency" fire starting methods...Thanks for the tips...also have made the rolled up cardboard, tuna can and wax candle/cooker ...actually works decent....rsbhunter
  6. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator Site Supporter

This something I learned from a Navy Seal friend of mine... Even in the densest Rain Forest, in the middle of a Thunder Shower, if have some fine Steel Wool, and a small Comm Battery, of some kind, you can light off any Homemade FireStarter, and dry out enough local vegetation, to get yourself warm. It doesn't take much Steel Wool, and there is always just enough left in a used battery, to light it off. Just Say'en.... 2000 Seals can't be wrong.... and I have tried it out, myself, here, and I live in a Coastal Rain forest.
    rsbhunter and larryinalabama like this.
  7. rsbhunter

rsbhunter Monkey

battery

Thanks for reminding me of that...i went with my kids thru hunter safety courses and they showed how to do that....also, now that you have me remembering, they also took gunpowder, and mixed in some fingernail polish remover (acetone) and it becomes a putty that burns slowly, for fire starting...they kept it in a 35MM film container to keep it from drying out.... Also, on a wierd note..potato chips will burn in an emergency...rsbhunter
  8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey+

Stock up on a few thousand lighters, they will be better than gold post SHITF
  9. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace Site Supporter

Yes Bruce, This works real well. I carry wind proof storm lighter, magnesium, steel wool, stormmatches in a waterproof container and flint and steel. sometimes the ability to start a fire is the difference between life and death ( purifying water, drying clothes, staying warm, boiling questionable meat before eating etc )
    rsbhunter likes this.
  10. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

Read "To Start A Fire" by Jack London. jacklondons.net Oh well, just use your search engine thingy.....
    Brokor likes this.