‘Go Set a Watchman’ and ‘To Kill a Mockingbird.’

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stg58, Jul 10, 2015.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

If you are a fan of the book To Kill a Mockingbird then you may know that a thought lost manuscript of 'Go Set a Watchman,' was found.
    They released the first chapter in written and audio book form and my wife was smiling this morning having read it in anticipation of the hard copy arriving Tuesday.

Go Set A Watchman: read the first chapter - interactive | Books | The Guardian
    or
    Harper Lee’s ‘Go Set a Watchman’: Read the First Chapter - WSJ

Lee's publisher announced in February that the 89-year-old author would be publishing the second book, which she actually wrote before "To Kill a Mockingbird."
    "In the mid-1950s, I completed a novel called 'Go Set a Watchman,' " Lee said in a statement released by her publisher. "It features the character known as Scout as an adult woman, and I thought it a pretty decent effort. My editor, who was taken by the flashbacks to Scout's childhood, persuaded me to write a novel (what became 'To Kill a Mockingbird') from the point of view of the young Scout."

The manuscript of "Go Set a Watchman" was rediscovered last year, the statement said, although The New York Times reported last week that it may have been found earlier, in 2011.

Questions were also raised about whether Lee, who lives in an assisted living facility in Monroeville, Alabama, was in a fit state to knowingly consent to the publication of the novel.

For decades after "To Kill a Mockingbird" came out, Lee had steadfastly refused to publish another book.

State officials in Alabama who investigated the situation said in March that they had found that the author did wish to publish "Go Set a Watchman."

1st chapter of 'Go Set a Watchman' has readers in shock - CNN.com

Marck, Yard Dart, Ganado and 2 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7