04 F350 6.0 ... help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Homunculi, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Homunculi

Homunculi Monkey++

driving home the truck lost power ... started sounding like a hotrod stuttering ...

got it towed to the house ... and the guy down the street says it is a fuel pump (if so what one?) in the tank or on the frame rail ??
    but now ... only tried starting it a couple of time ... runs for about 3 sec and dies off
    putting out white smoke that does not smell like oil or antifreeze ....

another guy said it could be the icp sensor ... .... or the FICM

i am lost on mech work ... i can change oil .. tires .. air filters .. and check fluids //
    and i can build computers ...

just aggravated ... when ppl need help .. i jump and get on the ball (it is how i count my blessings) but it seems when i need help i have to wait a day .. or 5 ... sometime a week or 2 ...
    if anyone has any insight to fix this problem .. please chime in /// thanks
    H

sec_monkey likes this.
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

I don't suppose you have any codes or a scanner?

Just to be sure, is the coolant level where it should be? 6.0 are well known for the egr cooler leaking into the exhaust.

Injector, FICM, are going to be the 2 most likely candidates if the egr cooler is ok.

BTW, fuel pump (fuel conditioning module) is on the driver's frame rail, in the front of the housing with the primary fuel filter

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Ah...... the dreaded 6.0 Powerstroke!!! white smoke in a diesel is usually a hung injector, or in the case of your Ford, something to do with the fuel, one of the controllers or sensors that meters the fuel. I would start Youtubing known issues with these Fords and this should get you in the ball park. from there, a series of tests should get you close if not actually on the problem! Also, if you know some one that has a scanner that can read the Ford Diesel, that will go a long ways! Wish I could be of more help, but I don't know a lot about these trucks. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

The FICM puts out a 48 volt signal to the injectors. Often the voltage regulator will cause the voltage to drop as it gets warm, allowing the voltage to drop. Performance suffers first, until you get down to around 25 volts...then it will die out.

sec_monkey likes this.
  5. Homunculi

Homunculi Monkey++

the scanner i used only gave :
    pe8engine
    pe9 a/t

and p2285 injector circuit control sensor low ...
    but i pulled my last trick that got it running again and unplugged the icp to see if it would not start and run normal like it did last time ....

sec_monkey likes this.
  6. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Ok...that explains the P2285, but a "normal" injector code is going to be along the lines of P0284 or such. PE8engine sounds like the code reader is not compatible with the powerstroke. :(

A FICM code will commonly be P0611...need to find out what the codes really are. Otherwise it could get expensive throwing parts at it.

sec_monkey likes this.
  7. Homunculi

Homunculi Monkey++

that is why i am not wanting to start throwing parts at it .... lost 2 mowing accounts already .. even after i explained my truck is down ... i have hopes of getting them back
    but i need my truck running

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    sec_monkey likes this.
  8. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Ah yes the 6.0 strikes again, FICM only about $700, new turbo only $4,000, I sent my first one back to ford under the lemon laws, it was a 2003 6.0, I understand i get it after the wife buys a new F250...

You can repair the FICM with a soldering iron, check out Utube

Rancher

sec_monkey and VisuTrac like this.
  9. earl1412

earl1412 Monkey

I think your IPR (injection pressure regulator) filter screen may be torn allowing debris to clog the unit. I have had this happen on my school buses with the similar VT365. Your Ford has the ICP located next to the IPR and you'll probably need the special socket to remove it (IPR) for inspection/repair/replacement.
    If the unit is bad, your injectors won't operate due to low oil pressure to them.

sec_monkey likes this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

White smoke is uncompressed fuel
    Blue, Oil
    Black, Overload

sec_monkey likes this.
  11. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

This will cause the high pressure oil to not build up...but it won't cause it to blow white smoke, start and die. It'll be a no-start. If the IPR screen is torn, the screen under the engine oil cooler is likely torn, too since that is directly upstream of the IPR.
    There are also 2 styles of FICM. And a 2004 has 2 different layouts, old style (ICP located on the high pressure oil pump in the rear, intake manifold has a rear crossover tube, oil rails fed by flexible hoses) or new style (ICP on right valve cover, no intake crossover in rear, oil rails fed by solid tubes - with O-rings that blow out (3 generations of tubes, too - latest ones have a Teflon backup ring).
    REALLY need to get an accurate scan...and look at the IPR % and FICM voltage.

Brokor, sec_monkey and Yard Dart like this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Its a 6.0L, the only way to fix it is to get something else.

13. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Try a Tundra, 2011 or later.

14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

One of my friends wanted a diesel ford expedition.
    He specifically sought out one with a 7.3L, he found that for some reason the older 7.3L expeditions were commanding thousands of dollars more than ones with the 6.0L.

15. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

When I bought my Dodge with the 5.9, I specifically avoided the Ford 6.0!! Could not find a low mile 7.3 in the region.
    I was raised as a Ford guy, but was not going to make that motor mistake. :)

v0lcom13sn0w and 3M-TA3 like this.
  16. Olympic mountain man

Olympic mountain man just a lonely cook

well at least Ford was smart enough to circle the problem on the front and rear lmfao

17. JLRhiner

JLRhiner Stranger in the Modern World

When mine blew white smoke, it was the EGR cooler.

18. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

We just got another one into the shop doing the same thing. Looks like it's another FICM...

19. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In Diesel Engines.... White Smoke is Unburnt Fuel.... Black Smoke is Not enough Air in the Cyl....

20. Homunculi

Homunculi Monkey++

got a second scanner ... was able to call tech support ... and the pe8 pe9 are the modules ...
    that the codes a read from .. so .. there are no codes in the system other than the one i tripped myself for the icp sensor ....
    that leads to nothing but a pump ... and i do not know how to find out if it is the one in the tak or the one on the frame rail ..... ..... asi said i can build a computer ... and make one sing ... but i am not good with cars ....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7