04 F350 6.0 ... help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Homunculi, Sep 6, 2016.

1. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

No fuel pump in the tank...it is on the inside if the driver's side frame rail. The housing that has the primary fuel filter (large black plastic cap with a hex on it) and water drain port (6 mm allen socket) also contains the fuel pump. Fuel filter is on the rear, drain is side, bottom center on a rectangular cover, fuel pump in the front. The best way to service it is to remove it from the frame rail. There are 3 thirteen mm nuts on the outside of the frame. You will need quick disconnect service tools to remove the two front fuel lines (5/16" & 3/8"), IIRC a 1/4 inch socket for the fuel pump and side cover (it gets full of gunk). If you don't clean the housing out, the trash inside will tear up the o-ring on the new pump. Watch the spring and plastic pieces under the side cover - they need to go back the same way they came out :)
    The brake lines are also held onto the bracket by two clips...gently pry the clips open and slide the lines out.
    Afterwards, open up the secondary fuel filter cap an cycle the ignition key until you get a solid flow of fuel out, then close it back up...best to get a filter set so you have clean filters and new cap O-rings.

Having said all of that, typically there will be an "IPR too high" code from the computer trying to compensate for the lack of fuel...I have some doubts if the pump is the issue. 50 - 60 psi is nominal. There is also a fuel pressure regulator located on the side of the secondary fuel filter housing beside the pressure test port...

Anyhow, the scanners don't seem to be reading the FICM, which is where the injector codes are held. The ECM doesn't see them, but it doesn't mean there are no codes in the FICM. A Ford IDS scan tool or even a Snap-on "red brick" would give so much more info... I don't suppose you know someone that could check it out for you on the side?

Gator 45/70, Brokor and Yard Dart like this.
  2. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Yard Dart likes this.
  3. Homunculi

Homunculi Monkey++

techstar .... i ust put new fuel filters in less than 1500 miles ago ... and now it seems ppl who i thought were friends ... who i have helped out ... do not seem to reciprocate ... too busy family issues ... blah blah ...
    my wife has been in surgery .. and i left the hosp.. to help people ....
    sorry just feeling burned .... like i said i gone out of my way to help others ... and all i hear is "if you need help call me" ... but when i do ... there is always something more pressing ... and i am asked to wait 2-4 days or a week or so .... 2 og the guys that said they would come over and help make sure this was just a fuel pump were no shows ... and my truck and chainsaw helped stock their houses with cut and split wood for winter ..

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

As bad as that is, consider what you learned about those you helped. Bitter lessons, but well worth the tuition when the time comes for "sharing" assets.

5. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Many will say things they do not intend to backup... just some feel good BS...

was a time if someone gave you their word they kept it... that was what I was taught and as a result I seldom give my word...

More often then not I now say I will try... or I will do what I am able... or I will see if I can...

should I give my word... then I intend to keep it... it has cost me over the years but I gave my word so...

different times different mindset I guess...

as has already been said... learn and remember... wether you forgive or not is up to you...

this is kinda a pearls before swine thing to some...

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

And that's why "helping" most people is a waste of time and why I don't do it anymore.

7. Homunculi

Homunculi Monkey++

could not find local help ... and was too nervous to to attempt working on the truck myself ....
    hd it towed to a shop that was recommended ... and that went down in flames ... big time .. they burnt my starter up ... and it was just installed last august ... had a tow truck attempt to take it to a new shop ... on the freinds network ... and it buckled the frame on his truck when he tried to lift it for the tow .... (thought he was going to use his roll back ... but he used his wheel lift ... ) got it over to the new shop ... they have it running .. and said the egr valve was stuck open ... and not allowing proper air fuel mix ... ... they are still testing but i do not know how this makes any sense ... but he said when the egr sticks open .. white smoke will come out of the exhaust .. and not allow the engine to run .. as there is too much air to fuel mix ... so now i am over 400$ in tow bills ... and i do not know the final bill on the repairs ... .. lost all but 3 accounts and summer is over ... :( ... and putting a plow on a 2wd is not a good idea ... :(

8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

That sucks! I hate unethical shops.. :mad:

9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Hmmm...the egr valve does double duty on the 6.0 but should not keep it from starting. It will allow turbo boost to bleed off, resulting in lack of power and poor performance.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7