1 Weapon For Home Defense

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by melbo, Dec 2, 2007.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Thanks for all the advice. I knew that we would not get a consensus here but all the different opinions do help me greatly. I suppose that this question is a lot like asking a group which is the best truck between a Ford, GM or Chevy [gone]

Quick question for T3. DO you make up some of these calibers? [lolol]

I'm going to steer him towards a long bow.

2. Evenglischatiest

Evenglischatiest Monkey+++

DODGE
    It's not just a car. It's a suggestion.
    [gone]

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

yes...
    believe the credit for .38 buck goes to sniper...the off the wall calibers are sometimes pulled outta my butt but you get the idea. I don't pay attention to the wildcats and when ever I goto gander mountain they always have some bolt actions on sale in calibers ending in ."ruger":I never heard of. I don't follow the gun rags
    anymore:
    (Any magazine has one purpose! to get you to say "Hey thats cool I want one of those!!make you want some thing and sell it to you!") being as I' m trying "possum living" I don't need the wants anymore than Ii already gottem'.

.and I feel perfectly content with 12ga,30-30,.38spcl,.303brit,(I accept/want but don't currently own these following others:9mm,.357,45acp,7.62 x39.223, .308 mebbee 7.62x54)
    But Even 40s&w is a little new wave for me.If I can't kill it with those first calibers, I need to hit you up for the.50 or seas 20mm

4. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

What's a 308 mebbee ;)

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

dysslexia!!! as in ".308comma , and may be even a 762x54mm.[lolol]

6. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

From within the confines of my house a shotgun would be more than adequate and not out of it's effective range. If I was to be awaken in the middle of the night, it is what I would go for. Pump action would be preferable because of load capacity, load it with birdshot backed by "00" buck or vicey-versa. Heck load it with what you have available.

Without reading the whole thread, I'm guessing shotgun was the majority.

7. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

streetrod-Chevy stepside or SWB p/u
    wheeler-3/4 or 1 ton Chevy Blazer [gone]

must I give all the correct answers [lolol]

8. Halffast

Halffast Wannabe Hack Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

If an intruder in my house hears the racking sound, it's because I just shot his buddy and he's next!

9. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

So you better let us know what the guy decides after all this kybd mileage.

10. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Amen. Late last night I heard a noise, then a door opening. I called my oldest daughter's name once, nothing, as I reached for my tactical 870 shotgun while still in bed I heard "yeah." Nothing like a moment like that to make you think. When things go "bump" it is what I always reach for.

11. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That reminds me of a family story - when my mom and dad were a young married couple, dad worked nights at Colts. One night my mom heard a sound down stairs (deep in the country with no neighbors). She called his name - no answer. Called again and still no answer. As my dad started up the stairs he decided to put on the light and saw my mom at the top of the stair with her .22 loaded and aimed. Thank goodness for electricity our you good folks would never had had the pleasure of my company [ROFL]

12. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

For me I would chose a pump shotgun. Seeing the man is older and has no shooting exserance I would go with a 20ga. It does have limitations (like anything eles) but over all it is the easiest to learn to shoot and load. If/when I hear a noise at night I grap my 12ga. loaded with 00buck. For our situation it's the best. The gate coming into the yard is locked in a way that is hard to unlock from the outside of the yard (not really sure it can be done). If you try to come through the side gate then you will be greeted by the welcoming commity.

Heres the welcoming commity.

[​IMG]

This is when they are happy and having fun with the family. They don't like anyone thats not part of the family. The male in the back round can put his paws on my shoulders and look down in my face. I'm about 6' tall. A good watch dog or 2 is invaluble IMHO.

OGM

13. BigO01

BigO01 Monkey+++ Founding Member

With a welcoming comity like that goat you could awake to sounds , make breakfast , eat , shower , shave and run down to the nearest Guns R US and buy a new whatever you wanted to go home and shoot an intended home invader with .

Anyone makes it past dogs like that is a real threat and you're in a gunfight that rivals a military battle from WWII .

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Now, now, OGM, this thread is "One weapon for home defense" not "52 teeth for home defense." (But I gotta admit it's a grand idea. Wonder if it costs less than continuous practice with a 12/20 ga 38 auto revolver to feed the troops.) [beer]

15. ozarkgoatman

Well with a steady inflow of intruders you keep the feed bill to a minimun. [lolol] I figure anyone thats gets greated would rather me come out and put them down and end the suffering anyway.

OGM

16. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

You mean they don't just swallow them whole?..lol

17. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

What kind of puppies are those? they look like big old teddy bears. I wouldn't be afraid of them.

18. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

SC's got the right combo - weiner dog get the ankles, golden gets the crotch, and the dobie will soon go for the jugular.

19. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

yep, that golden is definitely a crotch sniffer!

20. ozarkgoatman

St. Bernards. They are big teddy bears as long as you are part of the family, if your not then your just as tasty treat in their eyes. [lolol] Trust me when they are pi$$ed they don't look so nice. My Dad and his wife cam to visit about a 1 1/2 years ago and they tried to climb their 6' high fence to get them. No one that comes over will go near their pen. But our daughter can go in their pen and feed them/rough house with them and they very gental with her.

OGM

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7