10/22 Ruger muzzle brake

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by mage2, Dec 3, 2007.

1. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

has anyone used th 10/22 muzzle breaks that are out there? If you did was there any improvement while using it? I am thinking about getting one of the pin on breaks but there are a few types and i have not found any reviews or stories saying they made any difference. BTW I crowned the muzzle by my self and actually improved the weapon!

2. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

IMHO, a muzzle brake on a 10/22 is not going to do much for you but look cool. A muzzle brake is designed to take felt recoil out of a weapon while a flash hider reduces flash. There is little or no burning powder left exiting the barrel of a standard 10/22, so no need there. The felt recoil of a 10/22 is so minute that it isn't even a issue for small children.

3. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

I could really care less about "cool" looks. I would like to reduce the muzzle climb. Felt recoil is nothing but if you redirect the gases correctly it could also lessen the muzzle climb, correct?
    I read about a 22 that you could fire with a scope on target and never lose the sight picture.

4. hartage

hartage Monkey+++

There is not much of anything on a .22 gas or otherwise to deal with. But if you absolutely must make it even more stable the cost of a gas port might not be worth it. Just find a way to attatch weights to the rifle. Somewhere in the forearm would work fine. The weight will deaden all recoil related movement of the gun. Experiment with different weights till you find your sweet spot.

I have a 10/22 myself (for a long time) and I don't really loose the sight picture . Just make sure you are solidly rested and you have the stock tight up against your shoulder.

If you do get a muzzle port after the cost of getting it you may find the benefits not worth the cost. (at least on a .22)

5. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

I know there is not much of a change to expect. Its really just a project.
    I recently recrowned the barrel and cleaned up some old scars on the face of the muzzle. I have refinished the stock and somewhat floated the barrel. After looking around some. Most of the muzzle breaks I see on the market are either too expensive (votz @ 50+) or pretty lame the $20 flash hider/muzzle brake. I might just create my own.

6. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have a 10/22 with the heavy hammar forged barrel that I use for shooting painted turtles and have no problem with repeated rapid follow on shots without breaking my eye on the target. Just remember that adding any weigt to the barrel, you may change the barrel harmonics and change the accuracy and grouping ability.

7. hartage

hartage Monkey+++

I did suggest adding it to the forearm. Lol I just remembered forearm of stock is bandclamped to the barrel. Well if ruger isn't too concerned with barrel harmonics (by clamping it) maybe it won't matter that much in .22 ranges

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7