10 best cars made in the USA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sec_monkey, Jan 10, 2015.

1. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

2. Gesko

Gesko Monkey+++

Interesting. Lots of Toyotas and Hondas on the list though. while surely they were manufactured in the US, i would not consider those companies american ;)

Yard Dart, Tully Mars and KAS like this.
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

"Assembled in US from components made in Mexico, Canada, Japan, Taiwan, and Malaysia."

Most certainly NOT an American car.

JABECmfg likes this.
  4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Sadly they are more reliable than True American cars and usually cheaper to buy new as well. I have a 18 year old Toyota Tacoma with a 4 cylinder engine and 5 speed manual, 205,000 miles on it, still going strong. My 8 year old Toyota Corolla 4 cylinder Auto has 140,000 on it as well and is my primary vehicle, also going strong. Before this the longest I had an American vehicle was a ford truck bought new in 1985 and drove until 1996. 140,000 miles or so on it but had to replace first the transmission, and later the engine. I will stick with Hondas and Toyotas

sec_monkey and JABECmfg like this.
  5. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

FWIW, I work in manufacturing (hence the "mfg" in my screen name), so my livelihood is tied to American manufacturing... and while I agreed with the traditional viewpoint of what constitutes an "American" vehicle for a long time, I've come to think otherwise.

As long as the auto makers are publicly traded companies, their nation of origin doesn't really matter - anyone, just about anywhere, can own stock in any American, Japanese, European, or other car company.

Not to discount the importance of assembly jobs, but THIS is a much more relevant measure of what counts as American made. [winkthumb]

Yard Dart and tacmotusn like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7