*** 100 Books Every Monkey Should Read

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Yard Dart, Jun 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Yeah we need to add HP to the list of books;)

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Yard Dart likes this.
  3. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

At least you gave Honorable mention to the Leatherstocking Saga by James Fenimore Cooper, even slight mention to Jack London, But what of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, James Kjelgaard, Carolyn Keene, and Agatha christie?
    Perhaps it might be better to spend ones time, as in long past, practicing the skills passed along by oral tradition?

4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

;)

Ganado and M118LR like this.
  5. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

And so, all this sorta beggars the questions:
    What is the main goal for recommending this particular list of reading material? Entertainment? History? Specific knowledge on "interesting" subjects? Modern thought on politics or religion?

Brokor and Yard Dart like this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Good question.......I did not spell that out clearly on the OP. Monkey must reads relating to preparedness, survival and resurrection of society after a collapse.

duane likes this.
  7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I feel like I am subtly being insulted?What does Rowling have to do with anything?

john316 likes this.
  8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Hey! Good point @Merkun ! And, George R.R. Martin also...that is of course if he finishes the damn series...

chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  9. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Oh no! No way! No James F. Cooper! Concerning that author, Mark Twain and I are in complete agreement. I hate him so bad that my grandmother use to force me to read him for punishment! LOL! Jack London is a definite as is Doyle, Keene, and certainly Christie...

10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

My informed opinion is that he got some stuff wrong, but the S.M. Stirling "Novel of the Change" books are VERY interesting SHTF novels, especially the first handful.

hot diggity likes this.
  11. Yard Dart

If you don't have a copy of this in your library....it is highly recommended. ;)

upload_2017-6-13_21-30-14.

Zimmy, Brokor and Tully Mars like this.
  12. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

In light of post 26, scratch Tolkien, the Brothers Grimm, Louis Carrol, JKRowling et sim. Add John Heatherly, John and Geri McPherson, James Beard (Do it yourself) and Casada's Marksmanship Guide. (M118LR ignore that last, it's too basic for you.).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Wilderness Evasion : A Guide to Hiding Out and Eluding Pursuit in Remote Areas
    Michael Chesbro (Copyright 2002)
    ISBN 1-58160-365-7
    Printed in USA, Paladin Press

[winkthumb]

Yard Dart likes this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i see that this is about survival... might consider relabeling it.

Post SHIFT I think we will all want entertainment not just skills so I wont post any fun stuff :p

There is alot to be learned even from fiction.

Tully Mars, Motomom34 and Brokor like this.
  15. Yard Dart

The intention was to get folks to post their recommended books be it a manual, fiction or otherwise... with a focus on Monkey related survival topics.

Ganado likes this.
  16. john316

john316 Monkey+++

nothing new under the sun

17. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  18. duane

duane Monkey+++

In my mind at least in one sense the list is useless. It assumes that you have a society to sit around and think great thoughts about, it is great for us and our middle age, but is a luxury. In my mind every 1 st grader should be exposed to some version of The Way Things Work, later some good books on farming, weaving, blacksmithing, Ball's book on canning, etc. Well once you get the flow of how to live in this world and if necessary how to recreate it, then you can have the luxury of the classics. My list would start out with reference books, the military series on electrical and electronics, machinist, basic and advanced first aid, defense and small unit techniques. I would also include Greys Anatomy, Handbooks for chemistry, physics, agriculture, electronics, etc. Never will know all of it, but the accumulated wisdom of a couple thousand years is coded into them in shorthand. In 1956 in the USAF we spent weeks studying tech manuals, basic electrical and then 101-8 on basic electronics and I have made at least part of my living from that knowledge ever since.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    STANGF150 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

Never got why Tolkien is considered a great writer. He is hard to read, his style is awkward. His stories have no flow, he writes like he had ADD.

20. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

hope you guys realize how many of that 100 books are on a permanent ban list for school districts or wouldn't be acceptable for a book report by the lit teach ....

1. Bandit99
  2. GOG
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Marvin L. Steinhagen
  5. survivalmonkey
  6. Motomom34
  7. survivalmonkey
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. Witch Doctor 01
  10. duane
  11. Halvist
  12. survivalmonkey