Gear Review 100% Wool Blankets (Master Listing)

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Brokor, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

@marker227 It doesn't look like one from the picture. It could be a Swedish wool blanket of sorts though.

2. marker227

marker227 Monkey+

The label on the blanket is the same label on the actual Swedish Officers Blanket everyone knows. Like this one:

51V6EREE7PL.

Does that mean anything?

I was just informed from some other trusted sources that this is a legit Swedish Officers Blanket. I'm so stoked! I've been looking for a long time!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
  3. Brokor

A tag can be changed, but I don't think it matters with a wool blanket as much as other items bought and sold online. If it isn't wool, anybody with some experience handling it will know easily enough. Still, the folks in China are pretty slick, they can print anything to look like the original. If they can make copies of top production knives, at 95% appearance or better in some cases, they can certainly print a tag. If this truly is a Swedish OFFICER'S Blanket, then it is a good thing to know that not all of them have the same markings. I personally wouldn't care as long as it is wool, warm and soft. The tag reads "Forsbro Wool Factory", which makes more than just Swedish Officers Blankets. [HASHTAG]#wool[/HASHTAG]

Thanks for the info.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  4. marker227

marker227 Monkey+

Before I talked to someone on another forum who knows quite a bit about this particular blanket, I never knew they didn't all come with markings. I'm ALMOST disappointed, but at the same time I'm happy I finally found one of these suckers!

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

These are getting really hard to find.
    The Swedish Officer's blankets are gone - cannot find one at any price.
    I just ordered 2 Italian Officer blankets and 2 Bulgarian Officer's blankets (cream). will report on the condition and source after they arrive.

ditch witch and Brokor like this.
  6. melbo

@Brokor, what do you think about this new merino guy:
    [​IMG]

Tip came from @CATO

Brokor likes this.
  7. Brokor

@melbo First impressions just from the web? That looks like an outstanding blanket. The price is pretty good, but it would depend on shipping, really. It is 100% merino wool according to the packaging, so at 500g and that size 61"x79", it's thick and warm. And it's not mil surplus, so you're buying a brand new blanket.
    Image1__81480.1405413253.1280.1280. Notice packaging - Three colors, camo, brown and green.

No longer in business it seems.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  8. Brokor

I updated the first post in this thread to reflect the new "thickness" rating icons and also updated the pictures. Now they are smaller thumbnails, but the only way to get them is to delete old pictures and re-upload. All set!

9. AmericanRedoubt1776

AmericanRedoubt1776 American Redoubt: Idaho-Montana-Wyoming Site Supporter+

The Swedish are available here Swedish Officer's Reversible Wool Blanket for $54.98

Made of 100% wool
    Very Soft style
    Durable and heavy for long lasting warmth
    Beautiful Camel color, size approx. (60"x90")
    Weights approx. 5lbs

10. Brokor

Sorry, "This item is currently out of stock!"
    And look at the Italian officer's blankets, prices are going through the roof all over...
    Yeah, man I don't think a Swede can be found without a great deal of luck.

11. melbo

I've asked them for a demo to review but have not heard back.

I did receive my Italian officers and Bulgarian officers blankets - will review over the weekend.
    Pretty happy although one had to be sent back as it shipped with -live- bugs. I could shake the bugs out but they had eaten wool to the point of being threadbare in spots.

12. Brokor

OMG! No way! That's amazing...I certainly hope they do something nice for you. I don't know if you ordered through CTD or SMG, but that's amazing to receive live bugs eating wool. Wonder what their standards are like...

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

ohno Don't do that...... They didn't charge you extra, for the extra protein, did they.....[tng2] better fumigate[plz] [yukface][camo]

Brokor likes this.
  14. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Limited "review." I haven't put it through the wringer . . . nor tried to set it on fire . . . nor thrown it in some water to see if it would still keep me warm. It's 85 out right now . . . it will have to wait. Additionally, I don't have a gem of a surplus blanket that I can really compare it to (i.e., Swedish officers')

Pros
    Comes in a nice carry bag. Definitely cheap, but good enough to keep the dust off.
    Doesn't smell (like many of the surplus varieties)
    Doesn't have bugs. :D
    Nice border along all edges
    Heavy weight / thick
    New
    Merino wool (very soft wool - all of my socks are Merino wool)

Cons
    Cost (including shipping) - however, given the fact that the good surplus blankets are far and few in between and "the rest" of them have an issue (e.g., smell like old lady, bugs), I don't really mind paying for a quality product.

Attached Files:

Yard Dart likes this.
  15. Brokor

@CATO - We know the price of the blankets from the website link. How much was the shipping? Was it based on location or flat rate? How long did it take to receive the blankets? Was it a smooth transaction, no problems? How did they ship, USPS, Fedex, UPS? Can you pick or choose your kind of shipping?

How thick are the blankets? Can you get a picture of the side and show us something in relation to it like a hand or a ruler or a coin? Essentially, how thick and fluffy and wonderful are they? Testing the blanket for warmth can wait, it's not a big issue. All we need to know now is: how thick exactly and how well sewn is that trimming?

Do it, man! :)

16. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I can't really give you a cost on shipping per blanket: I ordered four blankets and a jerry can and that was ~$20 (not too bad). BTW--the jerry cans are top notch--I bought four a year ago. [winkthumb]

I didn't have the option to choose shipping carriers and not sure about whether the cost was a percentage of the total or based on weight.

Just laying there (fluffy), the blanket is thicker than four quarters. Sorry....best I can do on short notice. I've got some calipers around here somewhere. I'll update when I find them.

The stitching appears to be just a straight stitch. I would've preferred an overlock or flatlock stitch (example below). But, I don't know jack about sewing other than to mend a button or close a laceration. Sew, maybe what they did was the best method given the material.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Brokor likes this.
  17. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Update: @Brokor

Caliper readings: the border (shown in above pic) is 11 mm

The only way I could think to get a reading on the thickness of the blanket itself (given my set of calipers), was to fold a section over on itself and measure. That was 25mm. So, I figure the actual thickness is around 10-12mm depending on how you measure.

According to the packaging:
    Weight = 3.68 lbs
    Thickness = 500g for every square meter
    Dimension = 61 x 79 inches
    Made in Poland

Shipping carrier was FedEx.

Brokor and Yard Dart like this.
  18. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

And so my search begins for the Swedish officer blanket. Are there any tips to know i get the real deal? Also the Italian blankets i will be buying online what should i look for? Also should i.get one that smells.of moth balls how would i get the smell out?

The amazon link in shop do i just click that for the site to get paid? There are a few italian blankets on there and there is other stuff im about to buy there

19. Brokor

With scarcity comes the risk of forged copies, but there's no way to tell for certain until you get the item in your possession. Any warm 100% wool blanket will do. Some are just thicker, more durable and softer than others. You can get rid of mothball scent by air hanging outside for a couple days. You can click our Amazon link and anything you buy will send a fraction to the website, but the cost of your Amazon exchange will remain the same as if you never clicked our link. Just using the link will do nothing, a purchase will have to take place.

20. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. HK_User
  3. DKR
  4. Hanzo
  5. RouteClearance
  6. Bishop
  7. Hanzo
  8. chelloveck
  9. Brokor