1000yd hit with a Barrett-offhand

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

That was impressive notworthy.

tbf8170, STANGF150, tacmotusn and 2 others like this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I'd be wearing double ear protection, myself. Those foamies just aren't enough, lol!

That was actually impressive, hats off. b::

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

very impressive.

4. BLKFJDC

BLKFJDC Monkey

I dream of ever making a shot like that with a .50.

5. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Once is (admittdly some ) luck.

I wanna see him do it again.

Impressive none the less.

6. An interesting historical curiosity:

Longest recorded sniper kills - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1874, American Indian Wars, a buffalo hunter sniped an enemy from 1,538 yards with a Sharps .50-90 rifle.

I don't know what kind of shot he took, but I doubt it was the fancy prone position that long range shooters so often use today. Might not have been an offhand shot, but even just propping the gun up against a wall and taking a possibly hasty shot would still be impressive.

------------------------------------------

From Wikipedia:

William "Billy" Dixon (September 25, 1850 – March 9, 1913) scouted the Texas Panhandle for the Army, hunted buffalo for the train companies, defended the Adobe Walls settlement against Indian attack with his legendary buffalo rifle, and was one of eight civilians in the history of the U.S. to receive the Medal of Honor.

Dixon led the founders of Adobe Walls to the Texas Plains, where he knew buffalo were in abundance. The group of 28 men and one woman occupied the outpost of five buildings 15 miles northeast of Stinnett.

The outpost was attacked on June 27, 1874 by a band of 700 to 1200 Indians, and that is when Dixon went into the history books for firing "The Shot of the Century which effectively ended the siege. Although, Billy Dixon states in his biography that it was a "scratch shot", he is still honored to this day with competitions in England and the US which attempt to match his skill.

The stand-off continued into a third day, when a group of Indians were noticed about a mile east of Adobe Walls. It is said that Dixon took aim with a quickly borrowed .50-90 Sharps (as, according to his biography, he only had a .45-90 Sharps and felt it could not reach) buffalo rifle and fired, knocking an Indian near Chief Quanah Parker off his horse almost a mile away on his third shot.

The Indians then left the settlement alone. Commemorative "Billy Dixon" model reproduction Sharps rifles that supposedly recreate the specifications of Dixon's famous gun are still available today.

Billy Dixon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yard Dart likes this.
  7. Good story on Corporal Harrisons 2,707 yard record shot:

World's longest sniper kill - 2.47km twice!

The difficulty of the shot was apparently compounded by the fact that he ran out of room on the scope adjustment. Even despite having a 40 MOA base, that wasn't enough, and so he had to take the shot while doing a significant hold-over..

kellory likes this.
  8. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Kentucky windage is not all bad. Do not think I want that gent shooting at me.

kellory likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7