12 Gauge Black Powder Pistol

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Mountainman, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Saw this and put it on my want to buy when I have the money list, $489. Think it would make a great anti carjacking pistol. The 6 inch double barrel pointed at someone would definitely get their attention and should change their mind. Recoil should not be to bad with the recommended 40 grains of FFG and a 1/2 ounce load (219 grains).

Diablo12Gauge1. Diablo12Gauge2.

Diablo 12 Gauge Pistol Nickel with Black or Rosewood Finish Grips | American Gun Craft

2. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Me want

Lancer, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

One Barrel stuffed with Rock Salt, and One stuffed with Shot should be a very effective little blaster! I'm adding this to the want list!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I wonder if ATF cassifies these as firearms or as BP Relics?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I’ve been looking for a flare gun made of steel. Not been looking real hard but got it catalogued in the back of my cranium group in case I run across one.

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

In a dry climate with stable temperatures it should be no problem if left loaded. I'd use modern plastic shot cups since you can't guarantee that there is no moisture in a fiber wad. The plastic shot cup also protects the bore if shooting anything that might cause scoring. They also speed your loading. Plastic wad, shot, over shot card vs. fumbling with over powder card, two felt wads, shot and over shot card.

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Mountainman

I was thinking 2 barrels of #4 buckshot.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Mountainman

Don't know why you posted the link since those guys don't even know what they are talking about. Did they even read the specs saying it is black powder???

oldawg, Brokor, Ura-Ki and 1 other person like this.
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I got a good laugh outta that as well! So much for firearms experts

Mountainman and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

If you click on the weapon link, you will see it is a muzzle loader and exempt from FFL laws. The break action only give you access to the breachplug, nipple, and for percussion cap removal or insertion.

oldawg, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Cool, I wonered about that...

tacmotusn and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Just imagine one in a drop leg holster, opposite a .44 1858! make for a hand full of pure nastiness! That's a shuta fer sure!
    Makes me want one even more!

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

All is clear if you read down the page. Also, the Diablo website has more pix ready for the cliking.

Or read the link for the amusement. I really am not moved one way or another.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It doesn't fire fixed ammunition so NFA does not apply.
    Probably have to be 16 to 18 to buy it in most states, no forms to fill out in most states.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

40 grains of BP is what I use for my Ruger Old Army, not a lot of recoil there. Never fired a ML shotgun, I'd think they'd be a pain to reload, but then so is a ML pistol. 2 barrels of #4 buck, a 6 shot revolver (BP) and a silenced .50 cal rifle, what's not to love? The Silencerco .50 doesn't produce much smoke either but they do want you to use a BP substitute and accuracy is much better if you clean between shots.

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and Mountainman like this.
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I think I might prefer over and under in a 4/10 optional BP or cartridge 4/10, .454, .45 acp, ect. .

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Just had a strange thought. If you build an integral suppressor on a front loader, would it attract BATFE's attention? Muzzle loaders are not fire arms, right. If the ball goes through the can backwards first, then ipso facto it ain't a suppressor. Right?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Loading backwards thru a suppressor could be problematic, especially with patched projos. If I wanted a suppressor on a frontstuffer, I'd create a fast demount/remount bit of hardware. That doesn't render the question invalid, just takes a different approach.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

The Maxim 50 from Silencerco has a can (except it's not because it's on a muzzle loader) welded to the barrel and you insert a loading tube through the, uh, attenuator to pour the powder and insert the bullet. Then a short rod to start the bullet and finally seat it with the long rod. The nice thing is, if you have a dud load or forget the load the powder, you can open the breach, take off the breach plug and fix things from the back end. Either load fresh powder or do what is needed, screw on the breach plug, prime with a #209 and go. Not the fastest system in the world, but it is quiet, the recoil isn't bad and much less smoke - granted you're using Blackhorn 209 as real black is not recommended (for cleaning purposes)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7