12 volt led lighting wire size?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by JRR, Oct 17, 2018.

1. JRR

JRR Monkey

I'm in the process of wiring some led lights in a small 12 volt setup. There will be 10 6 watt lights, of which only 2 or 3 will be on at any one time, but if they are all on at once, it will be carrying 5 amps. What size wire do I need to use?

Thanks.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Wire the Place with standard #12 Romex just as if you were running 120Vac... It will do just fine and is cheap to use...

3. duane

duane Monkey+++

Old rule of thumb was for 1000 feet of copper at room temp, #10 1 ohm, #12 1.5 ohms, #16 4 ohms, since voltage drop is current time resistance , the drop for #10 would be 1, and the drop for #16 would be 4 times as much. Grand dad beat some things into my head 70 + years ago and I have used them all my life. The old fire and ashes are hot, black and red, snow and grass are cold, green and white, never trust an armature, always growl and check continuity, when turning an armature, never take off more than a couple thousand as copper smears and you will have a really hard time undercutting. Old motors, brushes and bushings built in 1920's etc lasted for ever but had to have work done on them almost ever year. Wish I had your knowledge of generators BTPost, old ones were a pain but could be rebuilt, new home owner brush less either work or you throw them away.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Gator 45/70, BenP and sec_monkey like this.
  4. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

6. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Actually that makes a lot of sense. You could match your wire size exactly to the load, but sure as heck one day you will want to add something and you'll have to upsize your wiring. Why not start off with wiring that'll handle almost anything you can throw at it from the outset?

Just remember that everything has its limits, and #12 is usually good for about 20 - 25 amps or so. Still, you have plenty of grow room without having to run wiring again if you add more lights or a small fan, a 12 volt blender, ... or something.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  7. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I can appreciate and understand the reasoning behind advising wiring a cabin with 12-2 Romex. However, low DC voltages draw much higher amperages than do higher AC voltages, which has been previously mentioned. Not to mention, they also suffer much higher voltage drops over long runs.

I would suggest calculating your runs, round trip, and at a maximum of a 3% voltage drop across the entire run. That is, unless you know, without any doubt, that you will not need any heavy DC loads on those circuits in the future.

My two cents worth.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    ghrit and techsar like this.
  8. JRR

JRR Monkey

Most of my loads will be on 12 feet runs or so. The lighting will be on a dedicated circuit of longer runs. Lights only.

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You still need to account for voltage drop and do a proper analysis of your loads. Until that's done and checked, you are guessing.

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

12Ga Romex can handle anything less than 50 ft, up-to 15 Amps, with ease.. You will have to try very hard to get more than 15 Amp draw with LED Lighting on any Single Room Run... Most of the Cabins around here have 120Vac Inverter Power as Main Power, and a single 12Vdc LED Backup Emergency Light in each room. We just replaced all the 4ft Florescent Tubes with 4ft LED Lights... Twice the lumens for 1/3 the Power... Very nice stuff....

deMolay, 3cyl and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7