14 x 14 cabin

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by tacmotusn, Mar 2, 2013.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

When the Amish need to raise a barn or a building, they simply hold a get together, and people come from far and wide, to help assemble and raise the walls and roof. I helped out on a barn raising many years ago. It was interesting, to watch, (and participate) as roughly 40 guys who brought the own tools, jumped to it, and 40 wives cooked and set table, while kids brought cool drinks to the menfolk as they worked. We had modern tools (nailguns, compressors, generators and power saws, ect.) and we stood the assembled walls with the aide of a pick-up truck. The results were amazing.
    If Monkeys weren't such secretive lot, perhaps you could do it like a barn raising, and throw a party after. Just a thought.:cool:

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We do community projects, to help each other, when more folks are required, than one neighbor can muster.... It becomes a "Work Party" and we work HARD, and then Party Harder.... ..... YMMV...

VisuTrac and kellory like this.
  3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I have used family and friends in the past for barn roof, and setting trusses at new house. Money has only been above red line for a few months. Projects are small advances at this point. In adequate materials for a major push. Hey, at least it is mortgage free, and I have income from the rental I own and used to live in. I'll get there, it's just slow going. Thanks though!

4. brandonnash

brandonnash Monkey

This is a lot like the Jehovah witnesses. I am not a member and don't side with their beliefs but can't argue with how they work when building.

When I lived in west TN the kingdom hall that was north of my town was small and pretty run down. They bought a piece of land south of town and laid the concrete foundation. It was in the middle of a big field. Once dry and ready to build on a huge amount of people showed up on a Thursday. Hundreds of cars were on that field. They worked seemingly nonstop and had their service on Sunday. Their original space was probably less than 3000 sq feet total and the new one was probably in the 10-15000 sq feet range. All built in just a few days. When a buddy of mine (a Jehovah witness) told me what they would do I didn't believe him. Then I watched it in passing. Couldn't believe it.

5. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

I built a 14 square meters (not sure about feet and inches) cabin when I was 16 and lived there permanently until I met a steady missus. Nothing wrong with living like that. Now I use it as a hunting cabin and a retreat when I need some alone-time. Excuse the interior, lol, old junk I've found lying around the woods and in my dads garage.

2012-04-05 18.39.44. 2012-04-05 18.40.21. 2012-04-05 18.41.22. 2012-04-05 18.40.58. 2012-04-05 18.41.12.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    chelloveck, gunbunny and kellory like this.
  6. -06

-06 Monkey+++

That is the way they do things. They build their own buildings--often in one day. Like you I do not believe in their doctrines but do admire their work ethics--like the LDS, admire them but from a distance.

7. Power Ram

Power Ram Monkey+

My late wife was a LDS. They would do some wonderful construction projects. Also They have a good handle on being prepared. I would like a smaller home of My own. Being single, I wouldnt mind it so much. But I am claustifobic and I like to keep My equipment out of sight.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7