.17 HMR vs. 22 Long Rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Yard Dart, May 11, 2013.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I saw a very nice looking .17 HMR the other day and was thinking about picking one up as I need a small game rifle. Recently I shot one of my friends HMR's out at the range and it was fun to shoot and very accurate. Wondering what you all think about one of them over the .22 Long Rifle, when in consideration that at this time- it is one or the other.
    YD

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

My only objection, is to the ammo availability... Around here if you can't reload it, you better have a 10 years supply.... .....

Brokor likes this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Normally, I would say that ammo is much easier to find for the .22lr, but at this time, the .17 might be the better choice. At least until the buying frenzy dies off.:rolleyes:

4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

The .17 has more power than the .22 and will take more and larger game with more assurance (Aim not with standing...), is a very flat shooteing round and extremely accurate.... theer are some "Red Necks" in my county who have killed deer with it... ( i don't recommend this as it tends to upset the game wardens when/if you get caught.... the ammo price was the big issue but i'm not so sure it is anymore... YMMV...

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I am a traditionalist (olde dinosaur) and have killed small game pretty damn consistently out to 200 yds with the 22LR. I have regularly hit bigger 5 gallon size targets out to 350 and 400 yds. This usually required a spotter and 2 to 4 shots to get dialed in. I have never paid more than 4 cents a round for 22LR. I will stick with 22LR. Even more so if it was either or!

6. Yard Dart

I can not blame you when you have 10K plus in ammo :cool:

KAS likes this.
  7. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

just get them both ...

8. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

One of a few things are true. Since I have been informed 22LR production has not slowed (even though it seems to disappear quicker than it arrives at point of sale). That ammo has to be going somewhere. Most people today who have 22LR are not shooting lots of it. My point is 17HMR is new. The ammo industry is geared to provide for the weapons that are out there. The ratio of 17HMR to 22LR being manufactured has to be something like 1 to 10 or 1 to 100 or 1 to 1000 or even greater. I would hazard a guess that 22LR is the most common round in the world. I am not the only one sitting on a ton of 22LR. Post shtf when there is no more ammo being manufactured, the obscure and lesser popular rounds will dry up and be shot up fast. It is just a matter of numbers. The most common military, law enforcement, and civilian calibers will be available for the longest. Maybe not easy to find, but caches will be uncovered here and there. Ditto goes for reloading components. A lot of preppers believe calibers like .223/5.56nato, .308win, 7.62x39, 30/30, 30-06, 12ga, .45acp, .38sp, .357mag, 9mm, 22LR or a combination of are the calibers to give you the greatest chance of the longest supply for the longest time. But then who the heck really knows. Lets just magically print 22 trillion more dollars to put into circulation and this economic mess will finally be over.

Yard Dart likes this.
  9. Yard Dart

Good info to chew on @tacmotusn thank you.

10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

A little firearm diversity never hurts, especially with ammunition availability drying up and "laws" enacted constantly to prohibit or control our freedoms.

A really good prepper would store up as many used sub-$100 .22cal rifles as possible to outfit neighbors and friends. =)

tacmotusn likes this.
  11. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

LOL. Spoken like a true disciple of Gunkid. ..... Just joking. I have 3 or so of every purposed weapon in my supply. 3 shotguns 12ga, 3 rimfire rifles 22LR, 3 pistols 9mm, 3 rifles .308, etc etc. I don't expect to stand alone. Common ammo was a consideration. I wasn't smart enough or enough of a prepper at the start to have identical weapons of each type for parts interchangeability. Oh well. Your suggestion to pick up inexpensive firearms to supply others within your AO who you trust is valid and smart. Thanks.

Brokor likes this.
  12. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

The 17 will do everything the 22 can and more. Ammo availability is the same today. You only mention it as a game taker so I have to assume this isn’t your SHTF rifle but a weekend plinker/ small game getter. Either one is up to the task. I have a couple of each and still shoot both. But my 17's seems to get in my 4x4 more often than my 22's for the mountain trips. The one thing I think the 22 does better than the 17 is bucking the wind in the longer shots. But this is IMHO. Your mileage may differ.

Yard Dart likes this.
  13. Yard Dart

That would be the intended use. I have seen 17 ammo available more than 22 lately.

14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

I went with the .22WMR instead of the .17 mainly for the ammo availability in my area. Neither is a slouch, but you need to be able to feed it...and that includes the .22lr if you end up with that instead.

15. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I have been seeing 9mm , 22lr on the shelves in WA state.
    It has to do with timing for store best time to get the word out etc. ,,Or so it seems.
    Wally world , & Cabellas have a set time and days differ , depends on stuff.
    The thing I noticed is , Im at the those stores when others aren't. 06:00 or 20:30

16. Yard Dart

Went to the Cabela's in Lacey, WA and they had almost no pistol ammo other than 45 cal.
    Traveled up to Federal Way and the local Fed Way Discount Guns had ammo coming out their ears.

17. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

local farm store / gunshop had a pallet load of USA manufacture 55gr 5.56mmx45 in 500 round boxes at $400.
    Somehow I am just not ready to pay 80 cents a round for .223/5.56mm. And, that's from someone who just acquired 2 AR-15 rifles and 12 magpul p-mags. These are not my MBR's. If and when these rifles get put to use, I will supply them with ammo the same way as the Jewish fighters did in Warsaw Poland, and for the same reason. Tyranny and Oppression

18. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Just bought 1k of 5.56 this weekend for 400. Local bi mart.

19. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Being an owner of many .22LR rifles, two in .22WMR and one in .17HMR, I see these calibers as being intended and designed for widely different uses. You don't use the .17HMR for squirrel, if you want to eat it.
    I like diversity in firearms and ammo. There is no 'be all - end all' in the shooting world.

BTPost, kellory and Quigley_Sharps like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7