1911 parts

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by TheJackBull, Apr 21, 2016.

1. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

broke my hammer strut.... was looking into cylinder and slide.com. thinking of using this as an opportunity to upgrade. getting a new strut plus a drop in hammer and sear kit. i have heard that all things 1911 need to be fit by a smith... is this true? can I not do this on my own?

I would also love to hear of your online parts buying successes and failures as I would rather learn from your mistakes ( no offense ) than from my own! ;)

GOG likes this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Well, not everything needs a highly trained expensive smith to install. I hazard a guess that the hammer strut is slightly more complicated than taking off the grips, but not out of reach of anyone with a bit of a mechanical bent. I'm less sure that a hammer and sear should be done by the home tinkerer, but even that is not too far complicated as long as one understands completely how they work.

3. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I've done all three, it's just as ghrit says, just take your time and pay attention.

TheJackBull, GOG and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  4. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

john316, TheJackBull and GOG like this.
  5. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

i love Brownell,s as i have 4 1911 Springfield,s

TheJackBull likes this.
  6. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

off thread, but for the 1911 guys.....have any of you built a 1911 from a 80% receiver ? it looks like it gets bigger everyday for the 80% field...I have built several AR15's and my current SBR from 80% lowers and have considered building a 1911.....I am waiting now on a 80% polymer lower from Polymer80.com to do a Glock based pistol....only reason I have hesitated on a 1911 is because they cost a lot more to do....a complete 80% 1911 from 1911 builders.com is running 1k..........

7. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

wow look at those tools! are the stones specific for the 1911 or is a hammer stone a hammer stone?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7