2 meter radio recommendation

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by whynot, Jul 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

All you need is the Kenwood TM-D710A Mobile, with VS-3 voice Card Installed.... That was easy... I got three of them, but No Voice Cards, yet....

2. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

The 710A is a great radio that includes APRS but note it is only VHF and UHF. The Yaesu 857 is an all band radio and that includes HF. I have eyed the 857D (I believe you want the D model) as well. The thing is tiny and has a good reputation for a field or mobile radio. Downside is the display is quite small.

AT

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  3. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey++

BTPost, does the VX-3 voice card only add the ability to announce the frequency in use? Just wondering if there is some other functionality I am missing.
    Have a Baofeng HT (the model that goes up to 8 watts) but have not yet acquired a device for the car -- of course, then I need to figure out where to mount it. Silly newfangled cars are harder to mod without getting a professional to do it for you.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I think it also adds Recording, and Playback of Audio, as well.... It does, when installed in HF Gear....

5. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I have a friend who has cerebral palsy. As he has gotten older he has lost more control of his motion. He still drives and on more than on occasion has been stranded due to car trouble. He cannot use a cell phone but could press one big button on a ham radio. He can take a ham radio class and pass. Think this would be an option for him? Are most repeaters monitored continually? Brand or model suggestions. I am going to mount it on a bracket in his pickup with a 12 volt lighter plug. He knows most people in the area.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

@T. Riley
    -You will never know if anyone is monitoring a repeater, there's no way to tell if anyone is there without asking. Not like 9-1-1 at all. Fact is, repeaters are (in my experience) not manned except for maintenance.
    -There are few 2M rigs that can safely run on a cigarette lighter socket. Usually, but not always, the lighters are fused below the needs of the rig. Some might get away with it set on low power.
    -There are any number of brands and models that will do what you would like. I'm hesitant to mention any, since it's often a chevy-ford-dodge deal.
    -Consider a hand held unit. They can run on a lighter socket and charge from it as well. Make sure you get one with an auto shutoff to avoid running the car battery down. The problem with them is usually small buttons, even for those with full fine motor control.
    -Also consider one of those satellite homing signals thingusses, one button to push and they send a signal that will be seen and give a call to emergency services.
    -Get the ham ticket anyway. A rig at home can have several methods to operate with reduced physical ability.

T. Riley likes this.
  7. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Thanks for the response @ghrit

1. Qwertyportne
  2. Tully Mars
  3. sdr
  4. Southbound
  5. SB21
  6. Bandit99
  7. sdr
  8. Bandit99