2 Refinished blades

Discussion in 'Blades' started by BuckBall, Apr 22, 2008.

1. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

These are some recent snaps of my 2 knives. Both are made by Camillus...the Mark 3 Trench knife is 23 years old and the USMC Fighting knife is going on 34 years old, though I think it is older since it was used in Vietnam by my uncle and I used when I was deployed. Last week I sand blasted the blades, then applied Brownells Matte Black Aluma-Hyde II Epoxy. Being so amateur at this, for those with an eye for detail, you'll see the lines near the edge aren't exactly straight. I also darkened the handles using Thompsons Watershield. I've used the fighting knife as my combat knife, regular camp and backpacking knife for about 11 years. The trench knife of course is pure combat, though used it as a spear to take a few fish when doing a survival course.
    B. C. D.

2. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm wanting to coat blades myself and I think what I'd do is coat it completely and then sharpen. I think that's a good job for the first time, and you could still re-do it and sharpen to where the lines were perfect. :)

3. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

Thanks Valkman. What I did was use paper masking tape, thus just covered the edge...but yes I plan on doing it again. One good thing about the Aluma-hyde II is that it can be air dried. This summer when its 90 some degrees, I'll redo the whole thing and let it sit outside. Takes about a week before you can use the knives, but I wont be camping until August, so will have plenty of time to cure. Seeing that I am terrible with a sharpening stone, I use an 8 inch mill file...a technique my grandfather taught me when he used them in WW2.

4. Valkman

I've only tried it once with GunKote but it seems I'm not very good with a spray can! That epoxy stuff sounds neat.

5. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

6. Valkman

Nice - I might have to break out the old airbrush and try some!

7. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

Go for it...I guess this stuff is suppose to be like gunkote, only cheaper in price and easier to apply. Since I have never used gunkote, I can't say if this is true or not.

8. Pitdog

Pitdog Dark Lord

If you can bake it, use the Brownell's Teflon Moly in the spray can. I did my 1911 in it, and I love it. Aluma-Hyde is a great product too. I did some mags with it and hung them above the woodstove as 'heat speeds the curing time' pre the instructions.
    I got a Camillus Ka-Bar about the smae era as yours at a flea market for 9$. Thinking of trying to take the leather off and reparking it. Not sure, I may go your route in all honesty.

9. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

I am limited to curing process as I don't have an old oven. I figure during the summer months when it is hot and about 90, I'll spray and hang it in the sun. I don't want to put too many coats on it as it may not fit in the kydex sheath (Spec Ops Survival Sheath). I did consider baking it, but just don't have the old oven.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7