2 Thimothy and the left in these times

Discussion in 'Faith and Religion' started by duane, Jul 8, 2022.

1. duane

duane Monkey+++

As usual, the Bible does a better job of explaining things than the world we now live in.

Bible Gateway passage: 2 Timothy 3 - 1599 Geneva Bible

The more times change thru history, the more they stay the same and I stick with the Geneva translation. The groups translating the Bible at that time not only had the faith of their convictions, many died to uphold that faith.

oldawg, Tempstar, 4x4 and 2 others like this.
  2. 4x4

4x4 In the Basket of Deplorables

3 1 He foretelleth the dangerous times that are to ensue: 9 but with the certain hope of victory, 10 he encourageth him to the combat, 14 setting out especially the trial of sound doctrine.

1 This know also, that in the last days shall come perilous times.

2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, cursed speakers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3 Without natural affection, truce breakers, false accusers, intemperate, fierce, no lovers at all of them which are good,

4 Traitors, heady, high-minded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God,

5 Having a show of godliness, but have denied the power thereof: turn away therefore from such.

6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive simple women laden with sins, and led with divers lusts,

7 Which women are ever learning, and are never able to come to the acknowledging of the truth.

8 And as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth, men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

9 But they shall prevail no longer: for their madness shall be evident unto all men, as theirs also was.

10 ¶ But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of living, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, patience,

11 Persecutions, and afflictions which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, and at Lystra, which persecutions I suffered: but from them all the Lord delivered me.

12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus, shall suffer persecution.

13 But the evil men and deceivers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned, and which are committed unto thee, knowing of whom thou hast learned them:

15 And that thou hast known the holy Scriptures of a child, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation, through the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness,

17 That the man of God may be absolute, being made perfect unto all good works.

This tells me what I need to know. It speaks directly unto our times today for us to understand. It is up to us to accept it and live unto glory.

Zimmy, Tempstar and duane like this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

To effectively understand the word of God, one first must know "The" Word of God in person.
    Jesus Christ is that word of God (John 1;)
    Learning the scriptures is not a substitute for the relationship God intended.
    Matthew = Jesus said, Call no man father, one is your father, God. call no man teacher I am your teacher.
    Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to teach in His place, but men, circumventing God's design, is what created so much confusion.
    They who have Jesus' Lordship in their life can have the Holy Spirit to teach them both the scriptures and God's will for their lives moment by moment.
    They without Jesus Lordship though they assume by works they do, will be held accountable on that day. Matthew 7,21,22,23,
    God is completely aware of all we say and think, and He teaches His own both from one's own experiences and in ways far beyond their experience. no one else is capable of this but God.
    Long ago there were similar times and many books became popular predicting the end of the age, and well meaning people connected the dots according to their teachers and missed the mark. What was interesting is that in the midst of all that people were giving me all these books to read and as I did I found that I could not absorb the information and I prayed about it, God why can't I get this stuff, and He said, "I will tell you what you need to know when the time comes." Satisfied with that I don't worry about the future, ever. God gives me direction I trust and guidance in scriptures I need.
    Some things other men teach have value, but it does not certify them under Gods instruction, My final source for God's word is Jesus and His Holy Spirit.
    In the beginning, was the Word, and the word was with God and the Word was God and the same was in the beginning with God and by Him were all things made..... John 1;
    I don't dispute these are bad times, all the more reason to be more serious about the relationship than academics. IMO

OldDude49 and 4x4 like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Beware of Preachers, who Preach for the Collection Plate, they are Wolves, dressed up like Gods Sheep… Never let any Human, intercede between you, and your God, no matter how they dress, or what preach… Those cast out from Heaven, will use ANY means, including chaos, half truths, falsehoods, lies, Wars, rumors of Wars, and. every other trick, agenda, or device, to lead the Sons of Men, down the “Garden Path” to their destruction, just like Cain of the Old Times…

OldDude49, SB21 and Tempstar like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7