20,000 Volts Electric Fence Charger

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Asia-Off-Grid, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Hog rings would probably be a good solution if available

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

it would be more material needed , but if you use the slip thru type , you could put a spring tied into the line to help keep tension.

3. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Honestly? No, I don't know. All of this is new to me, which is why I posted where I felt others would have experience that I don't. Fortunately, it appears I was right in that part of my idea. :)

I may be way off in my thinking here, especially due to being new. But, I was thinking that, even if we are unable to pull the wires very tight, as it seems many electric fences are, with a ground wire between each two hots, it seems a 20,000 volt bite may stop them from attempting to push harder. In fact, due to it having an adjustable speed at which it sends the signal through the wires, I could set it for faster speed, while the animals are new to it. Then, a couple of weeks later, maybe slow down the pulse rate.

Wire ties at each insulator? Sorry ghrit, but you lost me here.

Hog whuuuut? :D

4. Asia-Off-Grid

5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

The wire will stretch in time ,,even if the animal doesn't lean against it. And this will cause drooping and slack. In a previous post ,,,I said ,,you could install a spring in the lines that will help keep tension in the lines.

Zimmy and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

7. Asia-Off-Grid

Gotcha. Sorry I missed that before. Can do springs.

I am under the impression springs would be best placed midway the wires? I have viewed videos where they suggest adding ratchet tension devices to the middle, rather than on the ends.

8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Yes , midway would work best,,,,,

9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'm kind of surprised I'm remembering this stuff from a few summers on grandpas farm 45-50 years ago ..:D

10. Asia-Off-Grid

That being the case, if your mind is the first to go, you are still in good shape. :D

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

[​IMG]
    You may be able to see that the wire passes the insulator and there are short bits of wire looped around the insulator to fix the wire in place. The same arrangement can be used for 'lectrik fences.
    One more thing that just leapt to mind, you are in a rather wet climate. It is not obvious to me that those nail on insulators will work in the wet at 20KV without continuous snapping and power draw.
    Paul, I am not trying to be a wet blanket, I'm just being affected with serial brain farts.

Asia-Off-Grid and SB21 like this.
  12. Asia-Off-Grid

Hey, I appreciate anyone offering the best, straightforward advice they can give. I am far from being one who wants smoke blown up his - errr, whatever.

13. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

This is true ,,,with the higher voltages ,, the higher chance their is of arc'ing over to conductive materials , like nails , metal post , grass ,, possibly even wet wood posts.

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Do NOT let the magic smoke out ----

Zimmy, SB21 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  15. Asia-Off-Grid

One thing I make it a point to always have done, something Khmers never do, is to have tin nailed to the top of posts to prevent water intrusion, thus allowing the posts to last much longer. We also paint the bottoms of all posts that are below ground level, pour gravel in the bottom of the hole to help prevent water saturation, and pour concrete around the pole bases, from the bottom up to ground level.

One of our perimeter lighting posts, 4 meters above ground. Sorry for the bad image of the top of the post.
    2018-09-17 08.47.25.
    2018-09-17 08.47.35.

EDIT: We would do similarly for fence posts. Maybe not the concrete, but for sure, capping the tops of the posts to keep water out.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    ghrit and SB21 like this.
  16. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I bought the ratchet type tensioner design.

SB21 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  17. Asia-Off-Grid

I will check with my local electric and plumbing supply shops. While I am a bit apprehensive in thinking they will have anything in stock, including anything resembling the glass insulators ghrit posted, I will give them a shot the next time I am in the city. I would almost bet they would not even know what a ratchet tensioning device even is. To give you an idea, they don't even sell wire nuts here. If I want split bolts & nuts, I will have to make my own, most likely.

SB21 likes this.
  18. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Good luck with your fence. Hope some of this will be helpful in some small way .

19. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

IF you want to use cheap PvC pipe as insulators and save your self some time and head aches. Put the pipe on a table saw and cut a groove the length of the pipe that only goes through one wall of the pipe. Then cut the pipe cross ways in the lengths you need. The wire slips right into the pipe via the groove and it does not come back out without help.

Why Sheep and Goats are largely immune is the shock does not conduct well through long shaggy hairs. Same with horns and why horned cattle and goats can pop the fence and not get bit.

For the record I HATE GOATS :) Only Goats I hate more than the ones I had are the neighbors goats!

Zimmy likes this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    A total game changer!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 5, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 2, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
    Media

New_digs

I think they approved of their new digs.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    I 3D printed dome connectors
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 4 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Another quail dome after dark.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 5 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Media

Baby_quail

Welcome to the world, Little One!
  10. Alanaana
    Media

Feeding_time

Quails!
  11. Alanaana
    Media

Flock

Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 2 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    Everyone loves a room with a good view!
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    These quail egg clippers are a game changer!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
  17. Alanaana
    Media

First_eggs

I was so thrilled to find that first set of eggs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
    Media

Free_range

It was a dream come true to have a free-range flock!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 2 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
  20. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7